• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2016–)

DianaM

13 hours ago, keychris said:

Practically bread ;)

Could you send me maybe a dozen of those? They look lovely. Croissants are something I have never attempted, and don't expect I shall. I see too much potential for making a hellacious mess and a dismal failure.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

6 hours ago, ElsieD said:

@keychris  i ccould go for some of those.  They look wonderful.  I did a bit of scrolling through your pictures and I just love the cuckoo clocks.  They're pretty special.

Thanks @ElsieD!

5ad7cbf53b24e_BialysandBoulesApril18th2018.thumb.jpg.bf99d280e38ed21b80097f821a17db63.jpg

Today's Bake - Bialys and Boules.

I have had a craving for bialys ever since I saw @shain's posted recently.

Divided a 500g batch of dough made on Monday, into 1/3rds.

Shaped two small boules and while they were proofing shaped

5ad7cc096a030_BialysApril18th20183.thumb.jpg.321e142296d74dc79ea05bc982c41d3b.jpg

five Bialys with the remaining dough. Filled with sauted onions and poppy seeds.

Both the Bialys and the Boules were baked in the CSO using the Bread setting with steam.

Bialys were baked first because they didn't require a proofing.

5ad7cbec7e085_Bialys2April18th20182.thumb.jpg.5c2697e589bb8dd1186e774fce55d98d.jpg

Cut one of the Bialys in half to see the crumb. Same shine as my baguettes.

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

4 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

@Ann_T There's a bakery for sale in Penticton!!  Nudge Nudge, Wink, Wink.  If only :x  It's much more sunny and way warmer than the Island!  And we have better wine.

I love your area.  In the summer.  That is the one thing I miss about living on the Island.  I'm from Ontario and I miss a  hot summer.   But I do like our winters here.    We get very little snow.  One or two minor snowfalls a year.   Sometimes none.   After having lived in Northern Ontario for five long years, I really do hate winter.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

I love your area.  In the summer.  That is the one thing I miss about living on the Island.  I'm from Ontario and I miss a  hot summer.   But I do like our winters here.    We get very little snow.  One or two minor snowfalls a year.   Sometimes none.   After having lived in Northern Ontario for five long years, I really do hate winter.  

I'd be taking Cowichan Bay over Northern Ontario any day.

• Like 2

I'm wondering if I should throw the bread out?  About a 750 gram boule.  Modernist Bread has much interesting information but I didn't find yellow jackets in the index.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Since I mentioned this in the dinner topic...

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/156030-dinner-2018-part-1/?do=findComment&comment=2152402

Khachapuri04302018.png

Khachapuri, a Georgian cheese stuffed bread.  Please ignore the magma.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Having heard about Dave's Killer Bread, the 21 grain one, and having bought and eaten a loaf, I decided to take a recipe for a grain bread I have been baking, make a few substitutions and see if I could come close to replicating it..  For the poolish, I subbed hi-protein multi grain bread mix (30 gms of protein per 100 gms.) for the bread flour.   I used 12 grain cereal in lieu of the harvest grains blend from KAF.  Finally, where the recipe called for whole wheat flour I used 12 grain flour.  We are happy campers, the bread is delicious and makes s terrific vehicle for peanut butter!

20180504_155233.jpg

Edited by ElsieD
Edited for clarity, removed reference to KAF (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

Having heard about Dave's Killer Bread, the 21 grain one, and having bought and eaten a loaf, I decided to take one of the KAF recipes, make a few substitutions and see if I could come close to replicating it..  For the poolish, I subbed hi-protein multi grain bread mix (30 gms of protein per 100 gms.) for the bread flour.   I used 12 grain cereal in lieu of the harvest grains blend from KAF.  Finally, where the recipe called for whole wheat flour I used 12 grain flour.  We are happy campers, the bread is delicious and makes s terrific vehicle for peanut butter!

20180504_155233.jpg

I'd love to know which recipe you went from. Were the sub flours also KA products?

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, kayb said:

I'd love to know which recipe you went from. Were the sub flours also KA products?

I apologize.  It is not a KAF recipe, I discovered when I looked for it.  The recipe originally came from a Craftsy course taught by Michael Kalanty.  I changed it a bit to include the KAF Harvest Grains mixture which is why I thought I got the recipe from their web site.  I have eliminated the KAF reference from my post.  I purchased the substitutions from a bulk food store called Bulk Barn.

• Like 1

@ElsieD, that loaf is flat-out gorgeous. Congratulations!

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Been making pretzel rolls for about 6 months and I'm getting fairly good at it.  Now these taste delicious, but they got a bit out of hand in terms of size.  I was planning on making them for hamburger buns, but I got them too big.  And then when I dipped them in the hot water/baking soda mix, they grew.  Then they grew again during baking.  Too big for my burger tastes, but I'm quite sure they'll be good with butter or mustard.  Or just the way they are.

Pretzel Rolls 1.JPG

Pretzel Rolls 2.JPG

• Like 13

Fed my starter this week.  Hadn't fed it since the beginning of February.  Fed with fresh milled Canadian Organic rye.   Doubled in less than six hours. 

Fed it again and used some of the discard to make a biga.  Left overnight Sunday and  made a 1000g batch of dough on Monday.  Baked half the same day and the remainder on Wednesday.

5af5b0ef1b805_SourdoughMay7th2018.thumb.jpg.447d2be3f46b579563a4f51c1549400c.jpg

Same day loaf.

5af5b10a747a6_SourdoughBakedMay10th2018.thumb.jpg.f4bccb5938ab87c3844289e131dda9ed.jpg

Wednesday's bake. Sliced Thursday morning for breakfast.

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 2

• 2 weeks later...

I made Julia Child's hamburger bun recipe.  She says to make it in the food processor.  I started with that but the dough was so stiff I was concerned my machine would pack it in so switched the dough to my Kitchen Aid with the dough hook.

They take awhile to make with all the dough rising and they are larger than the kind of buns we prefer.  My first attempt at buns so pleased with how they turned out.DSC02449.thumb.jpg.a4d39b45a61913e1e534dc008c2a456a.jpgDSC02450.thumb.jpg.075d551b0158dc3e0dd0024078626376.jpgDSC02452.thumb.jpg.3bbc0c51812ff679747bf5b5e3661663.jpg

Edited by Okanagancook (log)
  • Like 8