• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2016–)

DianaM

0BD02822-0B93-4E62-9B57-4AC69C8C7586.thumb.jpeg.fb5893cba6cadf31b63bac273504cc29.jpegHere's  a shot of it sliced:

E2E0BB28-A195-49EF-AA79-27543B2090A9.thumb.jpeg.8f4603fb3fe423f35a107e9287b38ca1.jpeg

This was breakfast, toasted in the CSO.

I'm impressed with this recipe...just the right amount of sweetness and cinnamon.  Very tasty and I'll definitely make it again.  I'll use more raisins though, I love raisins In baked goods.

The electric knife made it easy to slice.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 7

4DCCA41D-C436-405E-9EC2-E5FC4EE8ED9C.thumb.jpeg.c1491622eaf1813cd6c9f7d740845d0f.jpeg

Not very shapely but I think they will be good. Just a high hydration, no knead dough. 

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Disaster!

My trusty (not trusty in the light of this news) toaster oven, incubator of many a loaf, has died.

Ten years of providing me with things domestic Chinese kitchens can't usually provide such as anything roasted or baked has come to an ignominious end. Both elements in the thing have shuffled off their mortal coil and the manufacturer seems to have disappeared so no replacements.

{insert profanities of your choice}

Guess I have to go appliance shopping.

• Like 1
  • Sad 8

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

9 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Guess I have to go appliance shopping.

Sorry for your loss.  If you can hold off oven shopping for a few days you might want to wait to see what nathanm and company have to say.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

14 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Sorry for your loss.  If you can hold off oven shopping for a few days you might want to wait to see what nathanm and company have to say.

Thanks, but I will still need an oven no matter what they may say. I don't only use it for bread.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I am so enjoying the KAF recipe for sourdough raisin bread!  I can't wait to make it again.  

However what I wanted to do was a bread I could prepare in the bread machine, set on the timer, and have it greet me in the morning.  I doubt I'll find a recipe as good as the KAF sourdough, though, it was just about perfect.

I"lol try though and let you know if I find a comparable recipe.

I, too, turned to the King Arthur Flour recipe site this week, with a loaf of oatmeal sandwich bread. But I wanted a "little something" different in it, so I subbed out a half-cup of the a/p flour for buckwheat flour. Gave it a pleasant nutty taste, and a bit of a whole-wheat look. I'll make it again.

59f914153af4c_oatmealbuckwheatbread.thumb.jpg.c0a6f5520cdc589d0956691ac8a1518b.jpg

The other loaf is the sweet potato pecan bread, because I was also in the quickbread mood. As noted on the EG quickbread cookoff topic, it wants more spice; it's a little bland. Definitely tweakable.

59f914403f877_sppecanbread1030.thumb.jpg.fae02d00538a14d650379d352ada7a03.jpg

Pimiento cheese sandwich (with bacon and tomato!) on the oatmeal buckwheat bread, with tomato soup.

59f9146c7408a_pcheesensoup1030.thumb.jpg.3750b8de9cf32a46663eda0dae07ef39.jpg

• Like 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Pullman loaf with sesame, sunflower, and pumpkin seeds. Recipe heavily influenced by one in Cenk Sönmezsoy’s new book The Artful Baker.

IMG_2787.thumb.jpg.0e00238c2254f866f9c4e8c88fbe8d1c.jpg

IMG_2788.thumb.jpg.75ee099b47bdc7137f583bf7689a41aa.jpg

• Like 8

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

16 minutes ago, cakewalk said:

That's such a beautiful loaf, @MelissaH. What types of flour does it contain? Can you share the recipe?

I can give you the ingredients, as published in the book:

350 g bread flour

315 g whole wheat flour

320 g plain kefir

120 g water

6 Tbsp (85 g) butter, melted and cooled

60 g honey

14 g instant yeast

30 g flax seeds

26 g sunflower seeds

20 g sesame seeds

20 g poppy seeds

20 g fine sea salt

And I can tell you about the changes I made:

• When I fed my starter which is half water and half flour by mass, I fed only 120 g of it. The rest (210 g), which would ordinarily be discarded, went into the dough, subbing for 105 g of the bread flour and 105 g of the water.
  • The WW flour I had was King Arthur white whole wheat, so that's what I used.
  • I didn't have kefir in my fridge, but I did have plain full-fat (5%) Greek yogurt. I used about 200 g of yogurt, and made up the rest of the weight with more water.
  • I was using a European packet of yeast, which contained 11 g. I didn't worry about the rest, figuring that even unfed sourdough starter (which I added mainly to have somewhere for it to go other than the trash, and to get a bit of extra flavor and keeping qualities) might boost the rise a bit. And if not, it would just take a little longer to rise. The dough seemed quite happy in my nice toasty utility room, where the water heater and boiler for my house's hot water heat, are located.
  • I don't particularly care for flax seeds, and thus I don't have them in my house because I don't use them and then they go bad and I wonder why I bought the buggers in the first place. So for my seed mix, I used 25 g each of toasted sunflower seeds, raw pumpkin seeds (pepitas, the green ones), and toasted sesame seeds.
  • No sea salt. I used Diamond Crystal kosher. For all that it matters.

This recipe makes enough dough for a long pullman pan.

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

20 hours ago, MelissaH said:
  • I don't particularly care for flax seeds, and thus I don't have them in my house because I don't use them and then they go bad and I wonder why I bought the buggers in the first place.

I keep my flax seeds in the freezer, along with the other nuts I use in cooking. They won't oxidize in the freezer and you don't have to worry about them going bad on you.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

There's something about the coloring of @MelissaH's loaf that really caught my eye. I just took mine out of the oven, so I won't slice into it until tomorrow morning and then I'll put it to the taste test. I used bread flour, white whole wheat and regular whole wheat. I also hate flax seeds, and poppy seeds don't rate much higher, so this has pumpkin, sunflower and sesame seeds. I used buttermilk, since that's what I had. I didn't use any starter, just instant yeast. Your loaf seems to have filled out the contours of the pan more fully than mine did, perhaps I could have let it rise a bit more before putting it into the oven. In any case, thanks very much. Have you eaten any of your bread yet? Are you pleased with the flavor? I'm dreaming about breakfast. 

Pullman1.jpg

• Like 5

13 hours ago, cakewalk said:

There's something about the coloring of @MelissaH's loaf that really caught my eye. I just took mine out of the oven, so I won't slice into it until tomorrow morning and then I'll put it to the taste test. I used bread flour, white whole wheat and regular whole wheat. I also hate flax seeds, and poppy seeds don't rate much higher, so this has pumpkin, sunflower and sesame seeds. I used buttermilk, since that's what I had. I didn't use any starter, just instant yeast. Your loaf seems to have filled out the contours of the pan more fully than mine did, perhaps I could have let it rise a bit more before putting it into the oven. In any case, thanks very much. Have you eaten any of your bread yet? Are you pleased with the flavor? I'm dreaming about breakfast. 

Pullman1.jpg

We have dug into the loaf, and are quite happy with it. I didn't realize at the time that my teenage infatuation with Pepperidge Farm sandwich bread was really a pullman pan infatuation. I'll be making this one again!

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

19 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

We have dug into the loaf, and are quite happy with it. I didn't realize at the time that my teenage infatuation with Pepperidge Farm sandwich bread was really a pullman pan infatuation. I'll be making this one again!

Yes, Pepperidge Farm and Arnold Bread, both of them always caught my eye. And yes, it was the shape. Took many years, but I also finally realized they were Pullman loaves. I make Angel Food cakes in my Pullman as well, they come out great. Enjoy the bread!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cakewalk said:

Yes, Pepperidge Farm and Arnold Bread, both of them always caught my eye. And yes, it was the shape. Took many years, but I also finally realized they were Pullman loaves. I make Angel Food cakes in my Pullman as well, they come out great. Enjoy the bread!

It's the round loaves that I adored (as well as the pullman of course). I found ganged pan of 4 round loaves about 30 years ago and made my interpretation of the National Bakery's onion breads and cheese breads in them a number of times. First time I didn't know to weigh out the dough - took a bit of soaking to get those loaves out.

Like these.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

It's the round loaves that I adored (as well as the pullman of course). I found ganged pan of 4 round loaves about 30 years ago and made my interpretation of the National Bakery's onion breads and cheese breads in them a number of times. First time I didn't know to weigh out the dough - took a bit of soaking to get those loaves out.

Like these.

I've never seen anything like those, that's really something. I've seen recipes for brown bread that are baked in a coffee can, I guess they're trying to imitate those loaves. I've never tried it, partly because I can't imagine trying to get a loaf of bread out of a coffee can!

I saw one of those in Value Village once and was sorely tempted, but they were pretty corroded and ultimately that decided me. 

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I kept meaning to post this but I kept forgetting.......a note to my fellow Canadians.  I was recently in Bulk Barn and spotted white whole wheat flour.  I saw this after I had loaded up with the stuff in Ogdensburg so did not buy any and can't attest to the quality.  

• Like 1

I was wondering if I could get some help.  I want to make bread for thanksgiving, but I am not going to be in my apartment for most of the day (Attempting a big old hike that morning, so I am just assuming I won't have enough time to make the bread and turkey).  I wanted to make some challah bread.  If I made it the day before, how would I store it so that it wold still be good for dinner?

I was also thinking of making the dough all the way to the braid and putting it in the fridge.  Then, on Thursday, take it out when I get back to rise and bake.  Is this the type of dough I can do something like that with?  I am willing to cut my hike short for the sake of homemade bread xD

ETA - I will be using Peter Reinhart's recipe from Bread Baker's Apprentice

Edited by blbst36 (log)

1 hour ago, blbst36 said:

I was wondering if I could get some help.  I want to make bread for thanksgiving, but I am not going to be in my apartment for most of the day (Attempting a big old hike that morning, so I am just assuming I won't have enough time to make the bread and turkey).  I wanted to make some challah bread.  If I made it the day before, how would I store it so that it wold still be good for dinner?

I was also thinking of making the dough all the way to the braid and putting it in the fridge.  Then, on Thursday, take it out when I get back to rise and bake.  Is this the type of dough I can do something like that with?  I am willing to cut my hike short for the sake of homemade bread xD

ETA - I will be using Peter Reinhart's recipe from Bread Baker's Apprentice

I'd make it the day before, through to completion. Once it's out of the oven and cooled, put it in a plastic bag. Then, while the turkey is resting, take it out of its bag and stick it in the oven for a few minutes to warm through.

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

I have stuck to my no knead 5 minute  knead -  not even Dutch oven, just parchment on sheet pan at 440 convection. I always toast except for first few slices -currently smeared with liverwurst -all good

IMG_0392.JPG

IMG_0394.JPG

• Like 5