• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2016–)

DianaM

2 hours ago, JohnT said:

That looks very similar to naan! It would go down very well indeed with a small dish of EVOO for dipping whist still hot. And then the medication for overeating and indigestiono.O

I would have no hesitation in saying they are better than most homemade naans that I have made. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Okanagancook said:

Found the recipe online:x

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/baco-bread

Well...  not quite. :)  the one from the book uses ghee instead of oil and includes yogurt.  The methods are also quite different and even the shaping.  Not to say that might not be good but it isn't the recipe I followed.

Edited to add:

I did try to find a recipe online so I could link to it but was not successful. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Okanagancook said:

Thanks for checking it.  Although I see three tablespoons of yogurt are listed in this on-line recipe.

i think I will try anyways.

Sorry I missed the yogurt. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

8 hours ago, Anna N said:

IMG_2074.thumb.JPG.46892d763fdc80db52d87ee6400df924.JPG

Bäco bread  from the cookbook of the same name by Josef Centeno. 

I just put a hold on the book!  I'd love to be able to make that!

(And, now, if you will excuse me, it's back to tonight's baguette...)

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

8 hours ago, kayb said:

Made @Anna N's oatmeal bulgur bread today.

Oops. Not mine. 

Chris Hennes'.  It is on my to do list. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Oops. My apologies, Chris.

Very good as toast the next morning. This may go in the regular rotation. I think I got my dough a bit too dry; I was on the phone as I was measuring flour, and may have overdone it. Suspect I shall try a sandwich later today.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I decided to bake challah tonight and found a recipe that has the strangest instructions I've ever seen. The ingredients are pretty regular, but the order is weird. Add yeast to warm water, then add eggs, oil, honey, raisins, and half the flour. Cover and let rise for about an hour. Then add remaining flour and salt, knead lightly. Then it says, you may let the dough rise again for 1 hour if desired. Then you shape, let rise 45 min-1 hour, and bake. I've never heard of adding the 2nd half of the flour after the first rise. I was tempted to ignore it and just add all the flour at the same time, but I got curious. So it's now going through the first rise, and then I will add the rest of the flour and let it rise a bit more, then shape, proof, and bake. Anyone ever bake bread like this? This book has about 6 or 7 other challah recipes, but they're all pretty straightforward except for this one. I hope I don't end up having to trash it.

It's not too different from using a sponge which is fairly common with other breads. I think most recipes I have run across use a different terminology so that rather than calling it the first rise they will say let the dough rest for a prescribed time before adding the remaining flour and other ingredients. 

My 2004 eG Blog

5 minutes ago, Anna N said:

It's not too different from using a sponge which is fairly common with other breads. I think most recipes I have run across use a different terminology so that rather than calling it the first rise they will say let the dough rest for a prescribed time before adding the remaining flour and other ingredients. 

Yes, that is true. I usually let a sponge sit overnight rather than just an hour, so I didn't think of this as a sponge at all. But I guess that's what it is. Thank you.

IMG_2324.thumb.JPG.60ab4e9aee2c7b605de126682c228cc8.JPGIMG_2323.thumb.JPG.56c59e849f08e06386b158011196c8c5.JPG

Isi's Portuguese  bread done in the Thermomix.  The round loaf was cooked in the regular oven and the long loaf in the CSO ( Cuisinart steam oven).  Both were cooked at the same temperature 425°F and one in the steam oven was finished sooner ( 200°F +) by about five minutes than  the one in the regular oven.  For the one in the regular oven I sprayed the door when I went into the oven and then again at the two minute mark.  I should really have shaped them both the same but I believe that the round loaf done in the regular oven  had a better oven spring than the one done in the CSO.  I admit that could be subjective.  Both are very small loaves made using 500 g of flour. 

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

IMG_2324.thumb.JPG.60ab4e9aee2c7b605de126682c228cc8.JPGIMG_2323.thumb.JPG.56c59e849f08e06386b158011196c8c5.JPG

Isi's Portuguese  bread done in the Thermomix.  The round loaf was cooked in the regular oven and the long loaf in the CSO ( Cuisinart steam oven).  Both were cooked at the same temperature 425°F and one in the steam oven was finished sooner ( 200°F +) by about five minutes than  the one in the regular oven.  For the one in the regular oven I sprayed the door when I went into the oven and then again at the two minute mark.  I should really have shaped them both the same but I believe that the round loaf done in the regular oven  had a better oven spring than the one done in the CSO.  I admit that could be subjective.  Both are very small loaves made using 500 g of flour. 

They're certainly professional looking.

• Thanks 1

On 9/28/2017 at 12:15 AM, cakewalk said:

They look good, they smell good, they feel good. Won't be eating them just yet, but I think they will be okay. They're big, 1.8 lbs each. 

challot2.jpg

Well, they had a lovely texture but were seriously lacking in flavor. No hint of the honey and the raisins didn't help much. And they could have used more salt. However, they made excellent French toast for breaking the fast! 

• Like 2

On 9/10/2017 at 11:27 AM, Chris Hennes said:

With the release of Modernist Bread imminent, it's time to revisit my bread-baking skills. For years I've basically only made the basic loaf from Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day, with an occasional kick over to Reinhart's Pain à l'Ancienne (which I consider the finest bread in my arsenal). Last night I took it into my head to dig through my old bread cookbooks and make something a bit faster. Which is to say, it was 8pm and I wanted to be eating fresh bread by midnight. Prior to the release of the other two books, my go-to bread book was The Bread Bible: Beth Hensperger's 300 Favorite Recipes -- so last night I pulled it off the shelf and made the Oatmeal Bulgur loaf:

DSC_4065.jpg

Obviously is much more of a sandwich loaf than the artisan-style loaves in the other books, but I did in fact have it out of the oven at something like 11:55pm. I enjoy the texture, and it really does make a good sandwich.

And it makes great sandwich rolls.  I use it for both the round oversized rolls for Muffuletta sandwiches (smashing them flat just before putting the pan into the oven),  and for the long - "torpedo" rolls with pointed ends and making a linear cut down the side just prior to the oven.  And I spritz the tops with water.

• Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

After making montanare yesterday (the fried little pizzas from Naples), too bad I didn’t take pictures...Tonight I made piadina. Flour, lard, salt.

Punctured with a fork the bubbles. No “testo”, the piadina pan but debuyer iron pan.

37B2F6BF-7B53-4251-978C-A55EEBDA5056.thumb.jpeg.d79a0ba50a4b6fd9eea00fc10f42ef35.jpeg

613DC02D-93AE-46E2-BD48-73AA966E3097.thumb.jpeg.87291f7e9ae6e3185e503c0574d967f6.jpeg

D1656AC0-6144-45F8-B564-E2CF751DCAE6.thumb.jpeg.3f784e96deb95f065d67cb6fd404e339.jpeg

• Like 12

A few shots from this weekend's baking extravaganza (testing recipes from Modernist Bread):

White sandwich bread

DSC_4242.jpg

Modernist French Lean Bread

DSC_4199.jpg

And from last weekend, the non-Modernist version of the French Lean bread, this time in video form because the sounds of fresh bread are fun:

• Like 9

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

2 minutes ago, Chris Hennes said:

A few shots from this weekend's baking extravaganza (testing recipes from Modernist Bread):

White sandwich bread

DSC_4242.jpg

Modernist French Lean Bread

And from last weekend, the non-Modernist version of the French Lean bread, this time in video form because the sounds of fresh bread are fun:

Gorgeous!,,