• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2016–)

DianaM

17 minutes ago, Chris Hennes said:

and made the Oatmeal Bulgur loaf:

Just curious, Chris. Did you make the full recipe? This is a new one to me and it looks really good but it makes an awful lot of bread for somebody who lives alone and has no freezer space. xD

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I did, but I made it in 5x9 pans, not the 4x8 she calls for. So I wound up with two 5x9 loaves and one small free-form loaf that I ate immediately out of the oven. Which I figured was OK because the instructions say to cool before slicing, and I didn't slice it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

59b5a8790df35_milkbread0907.jpg.4d63bfd666e437017d9a565c1debc888.jpg

Milk bread, from the Food 52 website, credited to a restaurant in NC, and referenced by someone on here recently. Too dark, a failing of bread in my CSO and of the baker for not remembering to shield it halfway through with some foil. The one in the rear was pulled after about half the bake time and frozen, to be finished later when I want fresh bread. I've had reasonably good luck with that method.

Good bread, plenty sturdy for sandwiches, but the texture is a little odd. Chewy/spongy, kinda.

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

4 hours ago, kayb said:

Milk bread, from the Food 52 website,

Wow. I looked up the recipe and it is certainly very strange for bread. Seems to have almost enough milk, cream,  butter and eggs to be a cake.  I'm not surprised the texture was a little odd. And it certainly has enough honey to be problematic in how brown the crust is likely to get  even in a regular oven.  Would you make it again? 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

8 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

First attempt at bread in the steam oven

Looks very nice. Did you have to protect it with foil?

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Looks very nice. Did you have to protect it with foil?

For the first time using the steam oven, I didn't do anything except cook it according to directions.  Next time I will shorten the time by a few minutes.  I am used to baking this kind of bread to 190º and 25 minutes baked it to a little over 200.  It was almost too brown so fewer minutes should make it a little lighter too.  One other thing, the sourdough starter didn't work this time so after 4 hours, i kneaded in some rapid rise yeast and that probably affected the 'crumb' or whatever you call the texture of the bread. It usually turns out with a smaller and more uniformly formed holes.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)

6 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

For the first time using the steam oven, I didn't do anything except cook it according to directions.  Next time I will shorten the time by a few minutes.  I am used to baking this kind of bread to 190º and 25 minutes baked it to a little over 200.  It was almost too brown so fewer minutes should make it a little lighter too.  One other thing, the sourdough starter didn't work this time so after 4 hours, i kneaded in some rapid rise yeast and that probably affected the 'crumb' or whatever you call the texture of the bread. It usually turns out with a smaller and more uniformly formed holes.

Interesting that you were not forced to protect the crust with foil during the baking.  Did you bake at a lower temperature perhaps? For the most part I start out around 400°F. 

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Interesting that you were not forced to protect the crust with foil during the baking.  Did you bake at a lower temperature perhaps? For the most part I start out around 400°F. 

I baked it at 400º for 25 min. in the steam oven. Always before, in the regular oven I bake it at 450 for 10 minutes (with hot steaming water in a pan under it) until the crust is set, then insert a probe with the alarm set for 190º and take it out when the alarm goes off, usually in less than 10 more minutes.  The crust is lighter at those times than it was this time.  This time when taking out, the temp was around 210 but the bread was not dry or tough and the crust was darker, but not burnt.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Norm Matthews said:

I baked Kindred's Milk Bread from a NC restaurant in June.

What did you think of it? 

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Norm Matthews said:

We liked it and gave some to the neighbors and they said very nice things about it.

Thanks. Somethings just don't resonate with me and this is one of them. I'm sure you too have things that, no matter what anyone else says, you just can't get on board. :)

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

On 9/10/2017 at 8:23 PM, Anna N said:

Wow. I looked up the recipe and it is certainly very strange for bread. Seems to have almost enough milk, cream,  butter and eggs to be a cake.  I'm not surprised the texture was a little odd. And it certainly has enough honey to be problematic in how brown the crust is likely to get  even in a regular oven.  Would you make it again? 

I don't know that I will. Something off-putting about it.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

4 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

If I make it again, it will be because I want to use up some more of the powdered milk I got just for the recipe.

Well if you would like to use it up in a bread recipe this is a very nice one. 

Link.  

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_1869.thumb.JPG.5e00fb133362a2c4d36e927084c9abd2.JPG

IMG_1877.thumb.JPG.9ed16327d1943c8145f26efd7f9292d6.JPG

Milk and honey bread for the Thermomix. I chose this particular bread to discover how it toasts in the Cuisinart steam oven. Between the sugars in the milk and the honey it should toast well. Not sure I will do it tonight but will certainly do it in the morning. 

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_2003.thumb.JPG.f77d216b10b460a1738b0dd3220d931f.JPG

IMG_2004.thumb.JPG.cfc801e13fd545eae765f83086d61758.JPG

I bit off a little bit more than I can chew today so this bread was rushed. I especially rushed the shaping. But it's for me and I can live with its less than perfect looks.  I am thinking of calling it clamshell bread. 

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

29 minutes ago, BeeZee said:

I find that piece very appealing, as a dark crust lover. I would tear that off first.

I did. xD

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Light rye bread: 50% rye flour (type 1050), 45% strong wheat flour, 5% semolina. 2.5 days cold ferment. Baked at 250 oC in a preheated Le Creuset (in the oven) for 20 min, then at 200 oC in the oven alone for 30 min.

To be eaten for lunch with homemade meats ...

WP_20170923_12_44_41_Pro.jpg

WP_20170923_14_05_04_Pro.jpg

Edited by Duvel
Crumbshot ... (log)
  • Like 11

IMG_2074.thumb.JPG.46892d763fdc80db52d87ee6400df924.JPG

Bäco bread  from the cookbook of the same name by Josef Centeno. 

IMG_2084.thumb.JPG.537b8149af64c293c6ad4d6267387571.JPG

An attempt to show you the texture. 

Wow!   I see what all the fuss is about. I made my dough in the Thermomix because I no longer have the strength nor stamina to knead by hand. I found it required quite a lot more flour than was called for in the recipe.  One always has to be ready to adjust when making bread. 

They were only two steps that were slightly challenging and both will be solved with experience. The first was shaping. The bread is very, very easy to roll out but getting a nicely shaped oval every time was beyond me. The other challenge is adjusting the heat to cook each side within about a minute.  Again with practice this can easily be overcome. 

I have frozen 4 balls of dough to see if freezing is an option. And I will freeze the remaining fully cooked bread to see how it fares. 

I stood at the stove and devoured the last one!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

That looks very similar to naan! It would go down very well indeed with a small dish of EVOO for dipping whist still hot. And then the medication for overeating and indigestiono.O

• Like 2

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

That Bäco Bread looks really good, @Anna N!  I bet they will reheat from frozen very well on steam-bake in the CSO, though they may not be as wonderful as freshly made.  

I'll be interested in hearing how the frozen dough balls fare.  Since that recipe makes 10 breads, it would be nice to freeze either the dough or the finished breads.

• Like 2