• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2016–)

DianaM

49 minutes ago, shain said:

@Anna N That's a lovely looking loaf!

Thank you.  It tastes just fine.  Nice to see you back.  

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

New bread knife needed! If this is too off topic tell me where it should go. My husband is baking bread like a fiend, how great is that? Our bread knife is ancient, dull, a bit wimpy. We think it isn't worth getting sharpened, because we really want one with a sturdier less flexible blade. We eat so much bread it's embarrassing to struggle along with such a pathetic knife.

Any suggestion for a good quality bread knife? One that can ultimately be sharpened by a professional? Mostly he is baking rustic round loaves that have a very crunchy crust and need a sharp sturdy tool. I looked briefly at prices on Amazon, and of course they are all over the map. We are hoping not to spend more than $75, but all ideas are welcome if they come from bread bakers and devotees. I want one that will last until I have to gum my food. And one that makes easy work for breakfasts and sandwiches.

1 hour ago, Katie Meadow said:

New bread knife needed! If this is too off topic tell me where it should go. My husband is baking bread like a fiend, how great is that? Our bread knife is ancient, dull, a bit wimpy. We think it isn't worth getting sharpened, because we really want one with a sturdier less flexible blade. We eat so much bread it's embarrassing to struggle along with such a pathetic knife.

Any suggestion for a good quality bread knife? One that can ultimately be sharpened by a professional? Mostly he is baking rustic round loaves that have a very crunchy crust and need a sharp sturdy tool. I looked briefly at prices on Amazon, and of course they are all over the map. We are hoping not to spend more than $75, but all ideas are welcome if they come from bread bakers and devotees. I want one that will last until I have to gum my food. And one that makes easy work for breakfasts and sandwiches.

Do not let the price fool you. This knife will do the job for you.  I have it, my daughter has it, @Kerry Beal has it.  It is sturdy and sharp and will get through those crusts.  

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Just now, Katie Meadow said:

@Anna N  thank you, my dangerous killer breadknife was delivered today from Amazon. Fabulous for the price. Now nothing stands between me and my toast. 

Is it not amazing? But be careful because it will cut through just about anything.xDxDxD 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Re the bread knife...

I got the knife that CI recommended, the 10-inch Wusthof bread knife and I love it, it's super sharp and it works for my homemade breads, bagels and anything else big 

2 minutes ago, lindag said:

Re the bread knife...

I got the knife that CI recommended, the 10-inch Wusthof bread knife and I love it, it's super sharp and it works for my homemade breads, bagels and anything else big 

But did it cost just $12?

My 2004 eG Blog

I did not really NEED a bread knife; I have a perfectly serviceable Kuhn Rikon. But...it was just $12...

Bunch of damn enablers.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, lindag said:

Re the bread knife...

I use a Wusthof also but I prefer the pointed tip serrated blade that does not appear among their current offerings.  Sadly it did not cost $12 either but you couldn't pry it from my cold dead hands.

When I went to start my bread tonight I found water, salt, and yeast.  Not that I didn't make three trips to two different grocery stores yesterday.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

4 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

First baking in new apartment, new kitchen.

Nice. Very nice.  Are you still limited by having only a toaster oven? Not that it seems to be much of a limitation to you.:)

My 2004 eG Blog

45 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Nice. Very nice.  Are you still limited by having only a toaster oven? Not that it seems to be much of a limitation to you.:)

Yes. New apartment; same old toaster oven.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Has anyone made the recipe for Many-Seeded Bread from Artisan Bread Everyday by Peter Reinhart?  I love a particular multigrain bread I can buy at s local store but would like to try my hand at making a reasonable facsimilie. While I am a reasonable white bread baker, i have never tried making a multigrain loaf.  Thank you.

After giving up my recent bread from lack of flour -- King Arthur organic all purpose -- I made it the next day to the local Shoprite.  They recently rearranged the store and finding anything is an adventure.  I asked at the office where to find King Arthur flour.  This Shoprite has been carrying King Arthur organic all purpose flour for years and years.  The clerk directed me to the baking isle.

Indeed in the baking isle I found King Arthur flour but no organic all purpose.  It used to be right next to the King Arthur non-organic all purpose.  I went back to the office and asked again.  I had left out the magic word "organic".  With the new store arrangement organic flour is not with flour.  Organic spices are not with spices.  Organic products are in their own section.  She went with me to look for the King Arthur.

We did not find it.  There was King Arthur organic whole wheat flour, and King Arthur organic sprouted wheat flour.  But no King Arthur organic all purpose flour.  She summoned someone responsible for the organic section and asked for King Arthur organic all purpose.

He smiled and handed me a bag.  I thanked him but pointed out the bag said "Hodgson Mill".  He thought perhaps the King Arthur had been recalled.  He added maybe he should order some King Arthur as a lot of people had been asking for it.

I left the store with Hodgson Mill (at $5.99 for two pounds).  Highway robbery but what else could I do?  Amazon had same day delivery on several King Arthur products but the organic all purpose was two day at best ($1.17 per pound with subscribe and save).

Back to my kitchen...I made up some ciabatta (Jeffrey Hamelman) and baked in the CSO.  It was flatter and denser than normal.  Almost impossible to chew.  Not sure if it was the flour or one of a hundred other variables.  Baked a second batch the other night for a shorter time.  More eatable, if underdone, but still not good.  I am not a happy camper.

• Like 2

I made the Many Seeded Bread mentioned above.  I mixed the doughTuesday and plopped it in the fridge.  On Wednesday, as instructed, I took it our of the fridge two hours before bake time which I read as take out two hours ahead of time, then shape and proof for1 and 1/2 to 2 hours.  Which I did.  So.......I'm surprised it turned out as well as it did.  We like the bread very much, but I am still looking for a darker, seedier bread.  I can't seem to find a recipe that looks like what I am looking for so if anyone has any suggestions, I would be pleased to get them.  This loaf called for sunflower, pumpkin, sesame and flax seeds.

20170524_181149.jpg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ElsieD said:

We like the bread very much, but I am still looking for a darker, seedier bread.  I can't seem to find a recipe that looks like what I am looking for so if anyone has any suggestions, I would be pleased to get them.  This loaf called for sunflower, pumpkin, sesame and flax seeds.

I have been on the same quest for many years on and off.

This  is the closest I came.

My 2004 eG Blog

Fire roasted potato focaccia, smoked paprika, malt syrup, dry onion flakes. The potatoes suppressed the flour content by weight. Cold fermented one day. Topped with olive oil, rosemary, sage, sesame. Baked until dark and crisp. Crumb is tender, yet slightly chewy. Nice earthy flavor with slight smokiness. Not much of potato flavor. Served with salted ricotta, tahini sauce, chopped vegetable salad and olives.

20170527_193906.thumb.jpg.08adb90d8683143e73781ebcf0c13846.jpg20170527_195330.thumb.jpg.bf0818c87e9e5d28fb0d2142d7e8944a.jpg

• Like 4

~ Shai N.

Focaccia05292017.png

Rosemary/onion focaccia, based on Hamelman.  Baked in the CSO.  I may have overdone it with the onions.

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I may have overdone it with the onions.

Impossible!  Looks amazing. 

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Focaccia05292017.png

Rosemary/onion focaccia, based on Hamelman.  Baked in the CSO.  I may have overdone it with the onions.

That looks amazing.  

Has been a long break for me. Despite being time poor, I couldn't handle off the shelf commercial bread any longer...

Here is Field Blend #2 from Forkish...baked as the entire 1.5kg boule in a dutch oven.

Very happy with the result, although the crust is a little thicker than I would like, but it really does add some complex malty/coffee/bitter overtones to the bread.

I'd probably end up with a slightly more open crumb if I baked two smaller boule's instead of one, particularly as the rye makes the crumb a little denser anyway.

Cheers

Luke

592d63ff225b0_IMG_3666-Copy(Medium).thumb.JPG.9f749a996d99bfe730ce245e8f184c88.JPG592d641a3cc85_IMG_3685-Copy(Medium).thumb.JPG.adc8fa204f4a26dc76c2d0144a766e7e.JPG

• Like 8

On 5/29/2017 at 2:34 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I don't believe that's possible.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com