• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker

9 hours ago, dtremit said:

Did you use the "steam" setting in the CSO for this, or "steam bake"? 

I have tried some par-baking of boules on "steam bake," but even loaves that are too short for sandwich slices seem to burn on top before they're cooked through. I went way longer than 5 minutes, though.

Still trying to figure out the best method to get a deep crust color on top without burning the bottom. 

I used the bread setting.

I've never had a problem with burned bottoms, but then I bake on a baking steel.  I suspect half a kg might be a better amount of dough for the CSO.  My boule loaves are typically 600-700 g.  Though if I remember correctly Modernist Bread calls for 850 g in the CSO.

Edit:  also MB specifies steam bake.

JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker

9 hours ago, dtremit said:

Did you use the "steam" setting in the CSO for this, or "steam bake"? 

I have tried some par-baking of boules on "steam bake," but even loaves that are too short for sandwich slices seem to burn on top before they're cooked through. I went way longer than 5 minutes, though.

Still trying to figure out the best method to get a deep crust color on top without burning the bottom. 

I used the bread setting.

I've never had a problem with burned bottoms, but then I bake on a baking steel.  I suspect half a kg might be a better amount of dough for the CSO.  My boule loaves are typically 600-700 g.  Though if I remember correctly Modernist Bread calls for 850 g in the CSO.