• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Franci

Franci

@Ann_T, what a wonderful memory! I wished I had a grandmother to learn all these things. My northerner grandmother, the only one I got to know, never baked bread in her life. Being from Bergamo, she was more of polenta dishes, or ravioli. And my mother, very sweet tooth, has always been a terrible baker! 

Italy can be very confusing when it comes to pizzas. This style of pizza in teglia alla romana is very recent, from the 80ies, it has very big bubbles, I think  it has been Gabriele Bonci merit making it popular also in the rest of Italy.  It’s a different style than the scrocchiarella from Roma. This lady here does such a beautiful job in her home oven, too bad is just italian but the video is good to watch. 

There are so many pizza in teglia, in my area for example it’s more like a focaccia. I found funny when going to the North to the grandparents that anything with tomato they will call it pizza and for me it was just a matter of thickness, everything thick for me was a focaccia regardless the topping. 

@heidih no doubt I can still making something edible without too much stress but I find it impossible, if I don’t keep my variable constant for some time, to be able to replicate the same result over time. Of course, who does it professionally or had tons of experience can have the flexibility I am lacking. 

Franci

Franci

@Ann_T, what a wonderful memory! I wished I had a grandmother to learn all these things. My northerner grandmother, the only one I got to know, never baked bread in her life. Being from Bergamo, she was more of polenta dishes, or ravioli. And my mother, very sweet tooth, has always been a terrible baker! 

Italy can be very confusing when it comes to pizzas. This style of pizza in teglia alla romana is very recent, from the 80ies, it has very big bubbles, I think  it has been Gabriele Bonci merit making it popular also in the rest of Italy.  It’s a different style than the scrocchiarella from Roma. This lady here does such a beautiful job in her home oven, too bad is just italian but the video is good to watch. 

There are so many pizza in teglia, in my area for example it’s more like a focaccia. I found funny when going to the North to the grandparents that anything with tomato they will call it pizza and for me it was just a matter of thickness, everything thick for me was a focaccia regardless the topping. 

@heidih no doubt I can still making something edible without too much stress but I find it impossible, if I don’t keep my variable constant for some time, to be able to replicate the same result over time. Of course, who does it professionally or had tons of experience can have the flexibility I am lacking.