• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andiesenji

andiesenji

I don't expect ciabatta to rise much. My loaves have a rather firm "skin" that holds the large bubbles inside and it firms up even more as the oven heat hits it.  I don't think about it, because it is pretty much automatic. I pinch large bubbles that work their way to the surface as I am shaping the loaves for the oven.

I want them trapped inside and not blowing out through the crust.

I form my loaves so they are WIDER and flatter than a "batard"  with blunt ends.  

In fact, I "shape" them crosswise on one of my utility trays on which I have a sheet of parchment. 

I use a rolling pin to widen them and press the ends against either side so they are a rectangular shape.

I let them rise a bit and then into the oven with some ice cube in the cast iron pan on the bottom of the oven.

I use a peel to slide the parchment onto the  oven rack.  I rarely use the baking stone or a pan, 

The dough for ciabatta is sturdy enough that it holds its shape on the parchment.

The loaves are 14 inches long and about 7-8 inches wide and probably  2 inches high with maybe another half inch in the middle.

andiesenji

andiesenji

I don't expect ciabatta to rise much.

I form my loaves so they are WIDER and flatter than a "batard"  with blunt ends.  

In fact, I "shape" them crosswise on one of my utility trays on which I have a sheet of parchment. 

I use a rolling pin to widen them and press the ends against either side so they are a rectangular shape.

I let them rise a bit and then into the oven with some ice cube in the cast iron pan on the bottom of the oven.

I use a peel to slide the parchment onto the  oven rack.  I rarely use the baking stone or a pan, 

The dough for ciabatta is sturdy enough that it holds its shape on the parchment.

The loaves are 14 inches long and about 7-8 inches wide and probably  2 inches high with maybe another half inch in the middle.