• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Isabelle Prescott

Isabelle Prescott

correct spelling

May I suggest you are letting it rise too long in the pan before baking it.  Once the gluten has reached its peak of expansion it will deflate, hence the bread will fall.  I find its better to let it rise too little rather than too long.  You can also add some vital wheat gluten to you flour mixture.  I do when I'm making whole wheat bread to insure it doesn't crumble when sliced.  Also, I bake my bread at 425 degrees for 30 minutes.

Isabelle Prescott

Isabelle Prescott

May I suggest you are letting it rise too long in the pan before baking it.  Once the gluten has reached its peak of expansion it will deflate, hence the bread will fall.  I find its better to let it rise to little rather than too long.  You can also add some vital wheat gluten to you flour mixture.  I do when I'm making whole wheat bread to insure it doesn't crumble when sliced.  Also, I bake my bread at 425 degrees for 30 minutes.