• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Franci

Franci

@ElsieD  roughly

Flour 700gr (I used KA)

water  550gr 

Fresh yeast  8gr (I used 3 g total of red star active dry)

2 tablespoon lard (I used extra virgin olive oil 

salt 15g (plus more coarse to sprinkle) 

11am. For the poolish: mix 300 g flour and 300gr water, half of the yeast. Mix and let raise at 20C. 3pm: dissolve the remaining yeast in 30g water, add 30 g flour, mix and cover.  Pour the remaining water 220g in the bowl of the mixer and slowly add the flour (370g),  start mixing on low speed for about 2 minutes, cover and let rest 45 minutes. Turn the stand mixer back on add the yeast made in the afternoon and slowly add the poolish  until incorporated, then add the salt. Switch from the hook to the paddle attachment, start on slow and increase a little bit until the dough holds together. Switch to the hook attachment again and add oil or lard mixing until incorporated.  Let rise until about 6-6:30pm and then divide the dough in two on a heavily dusted table. Give some foldings to the doughs. Transfer them to two oiled pans, let them rest covered half an hour and then very gently stretch. You can leave them higher like a bread or make a focaccia with it. Let double in bulk, spray some oil and sprinkle with coarse salt and bake at 480 F 10 minutes on the lower shelf and then 10 more minutes in the middle. I baked slightly less.  

P.S.: You can simplify the second part of it. Starting at 3pm adding directly to the poolish the remaining flour, water and yeast and proceed with the recipe. 
Franci

Franci

@ElsieD  roughly

Flour 700gr (I used KA)

water  550gr 

11am. For the poolish: mix 300 g flour and 300gr water, half of the yeast. Mix and let raise at 20C. 3pm: dissolve the remaining yeast in 30g water, add 30 g flour, mix and cover.  Pour the remaining water 220g in the bowl of the mixer and slowly add the flour (370g),  start mixing on low speed for about 2 minutes, cover and let rest 45 minutes. Turn the stand mixer back on add the yeast made in the afternoon and slowly add the poolish  until incorporated, then add the salt. Switch from the hook to the paddle attachment, start on slow and increase a little bit until the dough holds together. Switch to the hook attachment again and add oil or lard mixing until incorporated.  Let rise until about 6-6:30pm and then divide the dough in two on a heavily dusted table. Give some folding to the doughs. Transfer them to two oiled pans, let them rest covered half an hour and then very gently stretch. You can leave them higher like a bread or make a focaccia with it. Let double in bulk, spray some oil and sprinkle with coarse salt and bake at 480 F 10 minutes on the lower shelf and then 10 more minutes in the middle. I baked slightly less.  

P.S.: You can simplify the second part of it. Starting at 3pm adding directly to the poolish the remaining flour, water and yeast and proceed with the recipe. 
Franci

Franci

@ElsieD  roughly

Flour 700gr (I used KA)

water  550gr 

11am. For the poolish: mix 300 g flour and 300gr water, half of the yeast. Mix and let raise at 20C. 3pm: dissolve the remaining yeast in 30g water, add 30 g flour, mix and cover.  Pour the remaining water 220g in the bowl of the mixer and slowly add the flour (370g),  start mixing on low speed for about 2 minutes, cover and let rest 45 minutes. Turn the stand mixer back on add the yeast made in the afternoon and slowly add the poolish  until incorporated, then add the salt. Switch from the hook to the paddle attachment, start on slow and increase a little bit until the dough holds together. Switch to the hood attachment again and add oil or lard mixing until incorporate. Let rise until about 6-6:30pm and then divide the dough in two on a heavily dusted table. Give some folding to the doughs. Transfer them to two oiled pans, let them rest covered half an hour and then very gently stretch. You can leave them higher like a bread or make a focaccia with it. Let double in bulk, spray some oil and sprinkle with coarse salt and bake at 480 F 10 minutes on the lower shelf and then 10 more minutes in the middle. I baked slightly less.  

Franci

Franci

@ElsieD  roughly

Flour 700gr (I used KA)

water  550gr 

11am. For the poolish: mix 300 g flour and 300gr water, half of the yeast. Mix and let raise at 20C. 3pm: dissolve the remaining yeast in 30g water, add 30 g flour, mix and cover.  Pour the remaining water 220g in the bowl of the mixer and slowly add the flour (370g),  start mixing on low speed for about 2 minutes, cover and let rest 45 minutes. Turn the stand mixer back on add the yeast made in the afternoon and slowly add the poolish  until incorporated, then add the salt. Switch from the hook to the paddle attachment, start on slow and increase a little bit until the dough holds together. Switch to the hood attachment again and add oil or lard mixing until incorporate. Let rise until about 6-6:30 and then divide the dough in two on a heavily dusted table. Give some folding to the doughs. Transfer to two oiled pans, let rest covered half an hour and then very gently stretch. You can leave higher like a bread or make a focaccia with it. Let double in bulk, spray some oil and sprinkle with coarse salt and bake at 480 F 10 minutes on the lower shelf and then 10 more minutes in the middle. I baked slightly less.  

Franci

Franci

@ElsieD  roughly

Flour 700gr (I used KA)

water  550gr 

11am. For the poolish: mix 300 g flour and 300gr water, half of the yeast. Mix and let raise at 20C. 3pm: dissolve the remaining yeast in 30g water, add 30 g flour, mix and cover.  Pour the remaining water 220g in the bowl of the mixer and slowly add the flour, start mixing on low speed for about 2 minutes, cover and let rest 45 minutes. Turn the stand mixer back on add the yeast made in the afternoon and slowly add the poolish  until incorporated, then add the salt. Switch from the hook to the paddle attachment, start on slow and increase a little bit until the dough holds together. Switch to the hood attachment again and add oil or lard mixing until incorporate. Let rise until about 6-6:30 and then divide the dough in two on a heavily dusted table. Give some folding to the doughs. Transfer to two oiled pans, let rest covered half an hour and then very gently stretch. You can leave higher like a bread or make a focaccia with it. Let double in bulk, spray some oil and sprinkle with coarse salt and bake at 480 F 10 minutes on the lower shelf and then 10 more minutes in the middle. I baked slightly less.  

Franci

Franci

@ElsieD  roughly

Flour 700gr (I used KA)

water  550gr 

11am. For the poolish: mix 300 g flour and 300gr water, half of the yeast. Mix and let raise at 20C. 3pm: dissolve the remaining yeast in 30g water, mix and cover.  Pour the remaining water 220g in the bowl of the mixer and slowly add the flour, start mixing on low speed for about 2 minutes, cover and let rest 45 minutes. Turn the stand mixer back on add the yeast made in the afternoon and slowly add the poolish  until incorporated, then add the salt. Switch from the hook to the paddle attachment, start on slow and increase a little bit until the dough holds together. Switch to the hood attachment again and add oil or lard mixing until incorporate. Let rise until about 6-6:30 and then divide the dough in two on a heavily dusted table. Give some folding to the doughs. Transfer to two oiled pans, let rest covered half an hour and then very gently stretch. You can leave higher like a bread or make a focaccia with it. Let double in bulk, spray some oil and sprinkle with coarse salt and bake at 480 F 10 minutes on the lower shelf and then 10 more minutes in the middle. I baked slightly less.  

Franci

Franci

@ElsieD  roughly

Flour 700gr (I used KA)

water  550gr 

11am. For the poolish: mix 300 g flour and 300gr water, half of the yeast. Mix and let raise at 20C. 3pm: dissolve the remaining yeast in 30g water, mix and cover.  Pour the remaining water 220g in the bowl of the mixer and slowly add the flour, start mixing on low speed for about 2 minutes, cover and let rest 45 minutes. Turn the stand mixer back on add the yeast made in the afternoon and slowly add the poolish  until incorporated, then add the salt. Switch from the hook to the paddle attachment, start on slow and increase a little bit until the dough holds together. Switch to the hood attachment again and add oil or lard mixing until incorporate. Let rise until about 6-6:30 and then divide the dough in two on a heavily dusted table. Give some folding to the doughs. Transfer to two oiled pans, let rest covered half an hour and then very gently stretch. You can leave higher like a bread or make a focaccia with it. Let double in bulk and bake at 480 F 10 minutes on the lower shelf and then 10 more minutes in the middle. I baked slightly less.