• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker

Update

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 2:34 PM, Ann_T said:

@JoNorvelleWalker, looking at the comparison, it appears that your Boule baked using the bread steam setting produces more of a shine to the crust.  That is what I have noticed

with my own bake on that setting.  

Sometimes, near the end of a bake, especially on loaves that rise higher, I slide a piece of foil over the top so that the crust doesn't burn.  

No, the crust of last night's boule was not as nice as last week's steam bake followed by convection bake.  I'm not worried about the bit of burning.  I chalk that up to a slight error in division of the dough, making the boule a bit too big for the CSO.

I can't speak for the crumb as I donated the boule to a dear friend to feed her starving teenagers.

Edit:  as of early this morning I'm informed the boule was all but gone.

JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker

10 hours ago, Ann_T said:

@JoNorvelleWalker, looking at the comparison, it appears that your Boule baked using the bread steam setting produces more of a shine to the crust.  That is what I have noticed

with my own bake on that setting.  

Sometimes, near the end of a bake, especially on loaves that rise higher, I slide a piece of foil over the top so that the crust doesn't burn.  

No, the crust of last night's boule was not as nice as last week's steam bake followed by convection bake.  I'm not worried about the bit of burning.  I chalk that up to a slight error in division of the dough, making the boule a bit too big for the CSO.

I can't speak for the crumb as I donated the boule to a dear friend to feed her starving teenagers.