• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

kayb

kayb

to add ingredients I left out.

Well...the best laid plans. Mostly because I never laid out the sausage to thaw. So I decided to make a savory version of my sweet rolls. I used my basic dinner roll recipe of 5 1/2 c soft white flour, 2 cups water, 1 egg, 2 tbsp sugar, 1/4 cup butter that I replaced with olive oil because I wanted that flavor, 1 tbsp yeast, 1 tsp. kosher salt. Split it into two batches after the first proof, and rolled it out flat after letting it rest five or 10 minutes.

223445865_savoryrolls.png.64df5dc495913f3570c502fed330a1e6.png

1786812386_savoryrollsbaked.png.86d1be2f5f9117018a95234c9353d327.png

The ones on the left are "pizza rolls." Filling is tomato paste spread thin, sprinkled with Italian seasoning; diced pepperoni, grated mozzarella and parmigiano. Rolled and sliced. The ones on the right have my fig-and-olive spread (4 oz. figs, 1/2 cup Kalamata olives, 1/2 cup stuffed green olives, all whizzed up in the food processor with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and rosemary) and cream cheese spread. The cream cheese is simply whipped with a good olive oil and some black pepper to easy spreading consistency.

Both are good, but I think my preference is the fig and olive.

Next big baking adventure, beyond an occasional loaf of sandwich bread, will be King cakes. I somehow got in the King cake whirl a few years back, and now I have about six people who depend on me for their King cakes annually. Laizzez les bon temps roulez!

kayb

kayb

Well...the best laid plans. Mostly because I never laid out the sausage to thaw. So I decided to make a savory version of my sweet rolls. I used my basic dinner roll recipe of 4 1/2 c soft white flour, 2 tbsp sugar, 1/4 cup butter that I replaced with olive oil because I wanted that flavor, 1 tbsp yeast, 1 tsp. kosher salt. Split it into two batches after the first proof, and rolled it out flat after letting it rest five or 10 minutes.

223445865_savoryrolls.png.64df5dc495913f3570c502fed330a1e6.png

1786812386_savoryrollsbaked.png.86d1be2f5f9117018a95234c9353d327.png

The ones on the left are "pizza rolls." Filling is tomato paste spread thin, sprinkled with Italian seasoning; diced pepperoni, grated mozzarella and parmigiano. Rolled and sliced. The ones on the right have my fig-and-olive spread (4 oz. figs, 1/2 cup Kalamata olives, 1/2 cup stuffed green olives, all whizzed up in the food processor with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and rosemary) and cream cheese spread. The cream cheese is simply whipped with a good olive oil and some black pepper to easy spreading consistency.

Both are good, but I think my preference is the fig and olive.

Next big baking adventure, beyond an occasional loaf of sandwich bread, will be King cakes. I somehow got in the King cake whirl a few years back, and now I have about six people who depend on me for their King cakes annually. Laizzez les bon temps roulez!