• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blbst36

blbst36

I was wondering if I could get some help.  I want to make bread for thanksgiving, but I am not going to be in my apartment for most of the day (Attempting a big old hike that morning, so I am just assuming I won't have enough time to make the bread and turkey).  I wanted to make some challah bread.  If I made it the day before, how would I store it so that it wold still be good for dinner?

I was also thinking of making the dough all the way to the braid and putting it in the fridge.  Then, on Thursday, take it out when I get back to rise and bake.  Is this the type of dough I can do something like that with?  I am willing to cut my hike short for the sake of homemade bread xD

ETA - I will be using Peter Reinhart's recipe from Bread Baker's Apprentice

blbst36

blbst36

I was wondering if I could get some help.  I want to make bread for thanksgiving, but I am not going to be in my apartment for most of the day (Attempting a big old hike that morning, so I am just assuming I won't have enough time to make the bread and turkey).  I wanted to make some challah bread.  If I made it the day before, how would I store it so that it wold still be good for dinner?

I was also thinking of making the dough all the way to the braid and putting it in the fridge.  Then, on Thursday, take it out when I get back to rise and bake.  Is this the type of dough I can do something like that with?  I am willing to cut my hike short for the sake of homemade bread xD