• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Looks very nice. Did you have to protect it with foil?

For the first time using the steam oven, I didn't do anything except cook it according to directions.  Next time I will shorten the time by a few minutes.  I am used to baking this kind of bread to 190º and 25 minutes baked it to a little over 200.  It was almost too brown so fewer minutes should make it a little lighter too.  One other thing, the sourdough starter didn't work this time so after 4 hours, i kneaded in some rapid rise yeast and that probably affected the 'crumb' or whatever you call the texture of the bread. It usually turns out with a smaller and more uniformly formed holes.

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Looks very nice. Did you have to protect it with foil?

For the first time, I didn't do anything except cook it according to directions.  Next time I will shorten the time by a few minutes.  I am used to baking this kind of bread to 190º and 25 minutes baked it to a little over 200.  It was almost too brown so fewer minutes should make it a little lighter too.  One other thing, the sourdough starter didn't work this time so after 4 hours, i kneaded in some rapid rise yeast and that probably affected the 'crumb' or whatever you call the texture of the bread. It usually turns out with a smaller and more uniformly formed holes.