• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Franci

Franci

On 20/3/2017 at 7:06 PM, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Has anyone ever heard of "Pane di Casa"? Is this a real style of bread or just marketing speak? Any idea how to pronounce the "Pane" part of the name? pane/pa-nay/pan?

As John said it means house bread but honestly I would say pane della casa meaning Bread made in the house and that's the name I would expect if you go to a restaurant where they bake in the house their own bread, pane di casa instead to me suggests more a home style bread but at that point maybe I like more the name they have at Eataly: pane rustico. For the pronunciation, Italian is so easy, you always read it as you write it...so in English linguinE, fettuccinE is alway misproununced. 

Franci

Franci

Has anyone ever heard of "Pane di Casa"? Is this a real style of bread or just marketing speak? Any idea how to pronounce the "Pane" part of the name? pane/pa-nay/pan?

As John said it means house bread but honestly I would say pane della casa meaning Bread made in the house and that's the name I would expect if you go to a restaurant where they bake in the house their own bread, pane di casa instead to me suggest more a home style bread but at that point maybe I like more the name they have at Eataly pane rustico. For the pronunciation, Italian is so easy, you always read it as you write it...so in English linguinE, fettuccinE is alway misproununced. 

Franci

Franci

As John said it means house bread but honestly I woul say pane della casa meaning Bread made in the house and that's the name I would expect if you go to a restaurant where they bake in the house their own bread, pane fi casa instead to me suggest more a home style bread but at that point maybe I like more the name they have at Eataly pane rustico. For the pronunciation, Italian is so easy, you always read it as you write it...so in English linguinE, fettuccinE is alway misproununced. 

Franci

Franci

As John said it means house bread but honestly I woul say pane della casa meaning Bread made on the house and that's the name I would expect if you go to a restaurant where they bake in the house their own bread, pane fi casa instead to me suggest more a home style bread but at that point maybe I like more the name they have at Eataly pane rustico. For the pronunciation, Italian is so easy, you always read it as you write it...so in English linguinE, fettuccinE is alway misproununced.