• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

kayb

kayb

add last photo I forgot!

After giving up on my attempt at sourdough, it was back to basics for me yesterday. This loaf, oatmeal honey whole wheat bread from the King Arthur Flour website, is soft, pliable, makes damn fine toast, and I think will make most excellent pimiento cheese sandwiches to go with my vegetable soup.

bread 0929 rack.jpg

bread 0929 crumb.jpg

@Anna N, I'm confused as to why you're having trouble with your loaves hitting the top element of your CSO. When I have my rack in the lower position, with loaves crowned an inch above the pan to start, I have plenty of room. This recipe calls for 30 minutes at 350; I had the door open for a few minutes to cover them with foil for the last 15, and I guess let it cool off too much; I had to add another 5 minutes on convection bake, without foil, at the end to get the temp where it needed to be.

bread 0929 oven.jpg

I cut the sugar in half because I didn't want a sweet bread, and left out the cinnamon. Good loaf. I'll make it again.

kayb

kayb

After giving up on my attempt at sourdough, it was back to basics for me yesterday. This loaf, oatmeal honey whole wheat bread from the King Arthur Flour website, is soft, pliable, makes damn fine toast, and I think will make most excellent pimiento cheese sandwiches to go with my vegetable soup.

bread 0929 rack.jpg

bread 0929 crumb.jpg

@Anna N, I'm confused as to why you're having trouble with your loaves hitting the top element of your CSO. When I have my rack in the lower position, with loaves crowned an inch above the pan to start, I have plenty of room. This recipe calls for 30 minutes at 350; I had the door open for a few minutes to cover them with foil for the last 15, and I guess let it cool off too much; I had to add another 5 minutes on convection bake, without foil, at the end to get the temp where it needed to be.

I cut the sugar in half because I didn't want a sweet bread, and left out the cinnamon. Good loaf. I'll make it again.