• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Anna N

Anna N

When someone brings you some homemade cultured butter and on the same day you find a lovely terra-cotta bread pan in the thrift store then it is inevitable that you will attempt to make some bread. I should completely give up any idea that you can adequately bake a loaf of bread in the toaster oven.  I know people do it including  

@Shelby

@weinoo

And

@liuzhou

But I never have very much luck. There is just not enough room for the bread to rise comfortably without colliding with the upper element. This bread  was made from a  recipe designed for an 8x4  or 1 pound loaf pan.  I think it is still too much dough for this pan.  I did oil the pan but apparently not enough as the bread stuck slightly on the sides.  I suspect the more it is used the more it will become non-stick if properly treated.  So the bread is a little on the ugly side but I'm sure it will taste fine and will be even better with some cultured butter.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Anna N

Anna N

When someone brings you some homemade cultured butter and on the same day you find a lovely terra-cotta bread pan in the thrift store then it is in evitable that you will attempt to make some bread. I should completely give up any idea that you can adequately bake a loaf of bread in the toaster oven.  I know people do it including  

@Shelby

@weinoo

And

@liuzhou

But I never have very much luck. There is just not enough room for the bread to rise comfortably without colliding with the upper element. This bread  was made from a  recipe designed for an 8x4  or 1 pound loaf pan.  I think it is still too much dough for this pan.  I did oil in the pan but apparently not enough as the bread stock slightly on the sides.  I suspect the more it is used the more it will become non-stick if properly treated.  So the bread is a little on the ugly side but I'm sure it will taste fine and will be even better with some cultured butter.

image.jpegimage.jpeg