• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

kayb

kayb

OK, bread mavens, I have a question.

I made my first seed culture for sourdough. From there, went to my first starter, both per Reinhart's Bread Baker's Apprentice. Seed culture did what it was supposed to do. Made up the barm and promptly refrigerated it, as I was leaving town for a four-day business trip. Got back, fed the barm (3:1, per Reinhart recommendation), and refrigerated it overnight. Next a.m., took it out of the fridge and made starters/sponges for two batches of bread, still working from Reinhart: his New York Deli Rye and his Pain Poilane. 

Rye did as it ought to do. Only issue I had it with it was that I let it proof in the loaf pans too long and it fell. Still tastes VERY good, though. Decidedly sour.

Poilaine, however, is another story. Starter took forever to rise. Finally did. Then dough  took a solid 24 hours to double in size, on my countertop. (Granted, I keep my house cool.) Made loaves this morning (roughly 12 hours ago). So far, rising has been miniscule. Dough was pretty stiff, but has softened with initial rise. I am thinking I will go to bed and see if these babies are of any sort of proper size to bake in the morning; if not, I'm thinking I'll not waste the energy and will just chunk the dough.

What's happening here? Any ideas? This is my maiden voyage with sourdough. Should these wheat loaves rise, will they be too sour to eat?

UPDATE -- After 24 hours, still no rise. I gave up and binned it. Still no clue what happened.

kayb

kayb

OK, bread mavens, I have a question.

I made my first seed culture for sourdough. From there, went to my first starter, both per Reinhart's Bread Baker's Apprentice. Seed culture did what it was supposed to do. Made up the barm and promptly refrigerated it, as I was leaving town for a four-day business trip. Got back, fed the barm (3:1, per Reinhart recommendation), and refrigerated it overnight. Next a.m., took it out of the fridge and made starters/sponges for two batches of bread, still working from Reinhart: his New York Deli Rye and his Pain Poilane. 

Rye did as it ought to do. Only issue I had it with it was that I let it proof in the loaf pans too long and it fell. Still tastes VERY good, though. Decidedly sour.

Poilaine, however, is another story. Starter took forever to rise. Finally did. Then dough  took a solid 24 hours to double in size, on my countertop. (Granted, I keep my house cool.) Made loaves this morning (roughly 12 hours ago). So far, rising has been miniscule. Dough was pretty stiff, but has softened with initial rise. I am thinking I will go to bed and see if these babies are of any sort of proper size to bake in the morning; if not, I'm thinking I'll not waste the energy and will just chunk the dough.

What's happening here? Any ideas? This is my maiden voyage with sourdough. Should these wheat loaves rise, will they be too sour to eat?