• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

typo

18 hours ago, Anna N said:

An interesting question  and I was ready with a slick answer.  But on thinking about it I'm curious to hear from others. I wanted to say "at the end" of course but bread baked in a Pullman is covered until the last 15 minutes or so and similarly with bread baked in a Dutch oven. You are baking yours in a small toaster oven  and my suspicion is even if you cover it for the first part of the baking you may still have to protect that top at the end anyway.

I've been thinking about this (always dangerous). Here is a loaf I baked yesterday.

loaf.jpg

I baked it uncovered for 20 minutes, then checked. Decided I wanted more colour and left it another five. By then, it was the colour I wanted to achieve, so I covered it with foil and let it bake on until it reached an internal temperature indicating it was done.

If I were to cover first then colour, I think it would be much more difficult to control the desired colour without under- or over-baking. No?

Anyway, my method works for me, so I'll stick to it for now. I'd still like to hear what others think, though. Never say never.

15 hours ago, cakewalk said:

Regarding the post above: I never cover any bread.

If I did that I'd be baking charcoal roofed bread.

liuzhou

liuzhou

18 hours ago, Anna N said:

An interesting question  and I was ready with a slick answer.  But on thinking about it I'm curious to hear from others. I wanted to say "at the end" of course but bread baked in a Pullman is covered until the last 15 minutes or so and similarly with bread baked in a Dutch oven. You are baking yours in a small toaster oven  and my suspicion is even if you cover it for the first part of the baking you may still have to protect that top at the end anyway.

I've been thinking about this (always dangerous). Here is a load I baked yesterday.

loaf.jpg

I baked it uncovered for 20 minutes, then checked. Decided I wanted more colour and left it another five. By then, it was the colour I wanted to achieve, so I covered it with foil and let it bake on until it reached an internal temperature indicating it was done.

If I were to cover first then colour, I think it would be much more difficult to control the desired colour without under- or over-baking. No?

Anyway, my method works for me, so I'll stick to it for now. I'd still like to hear what others think, though. Never say never.

15 hours ago, cakewalk said:

Regarding the post above: I never cover any bread.

If I did that I'd be baking charcoal roofed bread.