• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2016–)

On 1/18/2020 at 8:28 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

You have tried vinegar already?

On 1/18/2020 at 9:17 PM, Ann_T said:

Yes! But maybe I will try it again first.

One potential alternative may be citric acid -- that is what is in most coffee descaling solutions. You can buy it as a powder and mix it a bit stronger than your garden variety vinegar. 

It has the added benefit of having almost no odor -- less of a concern for the CSO, but really useful for coffee machines!

• Thanks 1

Yesterday's loaf.  Three pound Pumpernickel Rye loaf.  30% Bread flour,  40% Dark Rye flour,  15% Pumpernickel flour,  15%  Caraway seeds, Ground Caraway,  Hemp seeds.  Sugar (1 cup),  Salt,  Yeast,  Water.  Plus poolish.    

Poolish was started on Sunday, 24 hours at room temp then into the fridge, refrushed with 1/4 cup of flour yesterday morning. I went off to see cardiologist, home at 2.

Had already measured all dry ingredients into a container, except for the yeast and salt.

Put water, poolish, dry ingredients into bread machine,  turned on and it mixed and kneaded thru first cycle.  Stopped it, reset to start but left it off for 40 minutes  autolyse.  Restarted and added salt, waited a couple of minutes for it to work in and added the yeast.  

After last brief "knock down"  I removed dough from machine and removed paddles, shaped slightly and replaced iin machine and let it finish rise and bake.

I'm very pleased with the result.  I doubled the amount of sugar I usually use and note that the moisture is better, the structure of the crumb is more even but it does not taste very sweet and I believe that is due to the flavor of the ground caraway plus the whole caraway which does have a bitter component.

In any event, the flavor is very good, better than other loaves I have made with a higher percentage of pumpernickel.

1424169833_Pumpernickel12120.jpg.79c4393fef041c6455eeeb61a8835ad1.jpg

1480835322_Pumpernickel2-121203.jpg.b0bc3c1191cf3cd3e52969173ebf2a2b.jpg

1867598859_Pumpernickel4-121204.thumb.jpg.4df08ef4b757e763e232e252073a37f3.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Sounds good. When you work with Latin guy they often recall that as their fave. Maybe into Recipe Gullet? Spent years on a recipe and "lost the slip of paper"

I made a loaf of sandwich bread this week using this yeast.  Has anyone else used it? The packet contains a bit of rye flour which is why the bread is darker in colour.  Very good bread.

20200207_163332.jpg

20200207_163539.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

Two focaccia...focacce? Started out with the foacccia recipe in Ottolenghi, subbed in 50% stone ground whole wheat flour (Sonora/Red Fife blend) and  divided it into two 1/4 sheet pans instead of one 1/2 sheet.

Topped one pan with red onion and goat cheese, one of the 3 topping choices in the Ottolenghi recipe.   Used the other one to make the Fried Kimchi Focaccia from Everyday Korean available online here) in which a heaping cup of chopped kimchi is fried in butter until the edges start to brown, then used to top the focaccia.  I added a sprinkle of mozzarella to that one. 

IMG_1914.thumb.jpeg.e287c5b9092810dc47ea88655cd54703.jpeg

Messy crumb photo

IMG_1916.thumb.jpeg.d6b0f9b38a189aa51f6ae4e7d5ab690a.jpeg

The kimchi focaccia is surprisingly good. After being fried in butter than baked, the flavor is still tangy and funky but not harsh at all.  Next time, I'll drop the temp or turn off the convection so it doesn't brown so quickly. 

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Yesterday's Bake. Inspired by @liamsaunt.

Forgot that I had the Bread Illustrated book.

431292051_RyebreadandaCranberryToastedWalnutBakeFebruary12th20202.thumb.jpg.843f13da59f23851672c1525747f5a0b.jpg

Found the Rye and another loaf that looked good, Cranberry with toasted walnuts.  

Made them both in the KA with a few autolyze rests in between running the machine.  

Staggered the batches so that they wouldn't both be ready to bake at the same time. 

620079412_RyebreadandaCranberryToastedWalnutBakeFebruary12th20202.thumb.jpg.899d34d1d2130dc39a7f3b7bc7fc2468.jpg

Sliced both this morning because Moe wanted to try them both.

607376848_RyebreadandaCranberryToastedWalnutBakeFebruary12th20203.thumb.jpg.6e0b2a1050ce077cf6248a72c44e7a92.jpg

Recipe called for caraway seeds which I left out. Not a fan. 

This is a really nice light rye.

And the Cranberry with the toasted walnuts I think should go well with brie. 

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 1

A small pile o'pita

IMG_1919.thumb.jpeg.a0399e433ff2d9c98ef69ac08c5a0c6c.jpeg

Recipe from Shaya with the addition of 50% stone ground, whole grain Sonora/Red Fife. I make them smaller (~75g dough/pita) than the recipe specifies so I get a dozen from one recipe.

• Like 12
28 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

How do you cook the pita to get the char spots?

I put the baking steel on a shelf that's a bit above mid-way in the oven, pre-heat to 500°F, then switch to broil when I start to bake them.  I quickly pull out the shelf, slap the dough on the steel and shut the door.  As they poof up, they get close enough to the broiler that they start to char. 

Edited to add that the Shaya cookbook says to put the steel (baking stone, cast-iron skillet) mid-way in the oven.  I get better results with it a little higher.  Probably depends on the oven. 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 1

Interesting.  I bake mine on a steel plate also but not with broil.  They come out nice and soft. Yours look soft too but one probably needs to be very attentive otherwise they would get too charred....I need to try this method...now I am wondering if a quick treatment on the open flame on my Wolfe has range would also get some char (I do this with chapati)...next time I see some experimenting...I like to make mine smaller also.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Interesting.  I bake mine on a steel plate also but not with broil.  They come out nice and soft. Yours look soft too but one probably needs to be very attentive otherwise they would get too charred....I need to try this method...now I am wondering if a quick treatment on the open flame on my Wolfe has range would also get some char (I do this with chapati)...next time I see some experimenting...I like to make mine smaller also.

Yes, I do need to keep an eye on them and I was challenged yesterday because the light bulb inside the oven burnt out so I was peering into the window and really couldn't see the char until it was too late, like that one in the front.   New bulbs should be arriving tomorrow. 

I'd bet that a quick pass in the flame would be nice.  

• Like 2
  • Similar Content

• By Darienne
      So I am gluten-free for a month anyway...along with sugar-free, dairy-free, coffee-free...and so far so good...except for the bread part. 

Ed bought two kinds of gluten-free bread for me to try last week at a regular grocery store in Ontario.  The whole grain bread was from Little Northern Bakehouse and it was awful, both untoasted and toasted.  The sandwich bread was from Glutino...now there's an appealing name...and it was even worse.

Is there such a thing as a passable...not good...just passable...gluten-free bread to buy in a grocery store in Ontario?  No American brands need apply...I won't be able to buy them in East Central Ontario in a small size city.

Thanks. 
    • By Mutleyracers
      Hi all. I hope you are well. I am just into baking bread due to lockdown and need help. Ideally I would like modernist bread but the wife is not quite agreeing to that yet. So I would like some where to start for now until she comes around to the idea. After she has tasted all my amazing breads I make. 

I would like this to be in metric rather than imperial.

Thank you 
    • By Mutleyracers
      Hello everyone. I hope you are all keeping well in these strange times. 

I am Lee. I live in the UK and have been on lockdown since the 16th of March. Like many people I have started getting into bread from listening to the modernist bread podcast. Now i don't have the book (wife won't let me yet, but i am working on it. So I have been trying bread recipes online. I have a Combi Steam oven which I use but all my loaves end up a little sticky in the middle. I have tried a basic white bread loaf with Diax and Jim Lahey's no knead in a pyrex dish. 3 x each so far and they are all a little sticky in the middle. When I squeeze the bread innthe middle it springs back a little but could be turned into a dough ball i think. 

Any way, I have come on here in search of advice.

Kind regards Lee 
    • By curls
      Couldn't find a topic devoted to sourdough discard cooking, so thought I would start one and see how much interest it would generate. Moderators, if there is a topic, please merge.

Recently I have begun making sourdough bread and am caring for a sourdough starter. Since there is currently some difficulty finding flour (due to COVID-19 related supply chain issues, etc.) I don't want to throw out any of my sourdough starter. I am also following guidance from King Arthur Flour and Cooks Illustrated for working with a small sourdough starter (10 g. flour | 10 g. water | 10 g. sourdough starter) and using recipes that use smaller amounts of sourdough starter or only building my starter up if called for by a recipe.

I have made the following recipes and would make them again:
      - King Arthur Flour sourdough discard crumpets. https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/sourdough-crumpets-recipe
      - King Arthur Flour sourdough discard waffles. I used a mix of yogurt & milk instead of buttermilk but otherwise made the recipe as written.  https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/classic-sourdough-waffles-or-pancakes-recipe

What are you doing with your sourdough discard?
    • By gsquared
      Post your questions here -->> Q&A
      A Sampling of North Indian Breads
      Authors: Monica Bhide and Chef Sudhir Seth
      Introduction
      These breads are the taste of home for me -- wholesome breads prepared with simple ingredients and simple cooking methods. There are many different types of breads in North India. They can be prepared in the tandoor (clay oven, as is done in many restaurants), dry roasted, cooked on a griddle, or deep-fried. They can be prepared plain, or stuffed with savory or sweet filling, or just topped with mouthwatering garnishes.
      In the recipes below we are merely attempting to scratch the surface, presenting you with a glimpse of these magnificent breads.
      North Indian breads are prepared with various kinds of flours. The ones listed here use a whole-wheat flour known as atta and all-purpose flour. The dough is prepared in most cases without the use of yeast. (We have shown a special sweet bread here, called Sheermal, that is prepared using yeast.) Also, the tandoori breads are generally rolled out by hand not with a rolling pin. But in the recipes below, for ease of use for the home cook, we have used a rolling pin. As you will also see then, no special equipment is needed. We have prepared the breads in a traditional oven and in a non-stick skillet. (We have included some pictures towards the end of the lesson of a roti being prepared in a commercial tandoor.)
      A few tips:
      • Knead the dough well, adding only enough water or other specified liquid to make the dough the right consistency.
      • A must for preparing these breads is to let the dough rest as indicated. This will ensure that the dough softens and moistens, making it more pliable and easier to stretch
      • To prepare simple ghee (clarified butter) see below but for a in-depth discussion check out this wonderful thread in the India forum. (See the last few suggestions on preparing it by melting butter.)
      • You can also purchase ghee or clarified butter at your local Indian grocer or from www. Namaste.com.
      Clarified Butter (Ghee)
      Yields: About ½ cup
      ½ lb unsalted butter
      Heat a heavy pan over low heat. Add the butter, allowing it to melt. Once the butter has melted, increase the heat, bringing the butter to a simmer. The butter will start to foam.
      Reduce the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes. Watch carefully as it may burn. The milk solids will start to settle at the bottom, and the liquid butter will float to the surface. When the liquid butter becomes amber in color, remove it from from the heat. Cool to room temperature.
      Strain the amber liquid into a jar and discard the milk solids.
      Cover and store, refrigerated, for up to 6 months.
      Plain Naan Dough
      Naans are traditional Indian breads prepared in clay ovens or tandoors. They are commonplace on most Indian menus. We have tried here to present a simple dough for Naans and then two of the more unusual preparations for it: the Peshawari Naan and the Onion Kulcha. .
      • ½ cup milk
      • 1 teaspoon sugar
      • 1 cup warm water
      • 1 tablespoon yogurt
      • 1 egg
      • 4 cups of all-purpose flour (labelled "maida" in Indian grocery store)
      • 1 teaspoon salt
      • 1 teaspoon baking powder
      • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (for baking tray)
      • 2 tablespoons clarified butter or ghee
      In a bowl whisk together the milk, sugar, water, yogurt and egg.
      Place the flour, salt and baking powder in a large shallow bowl. Mix well.
      Pour the liquid onto the flour and begin to knead. Continue kneading until you have a soft dough. If you need more liquid, add a few tablespoons of warm water. Knead for at least 10 minutes, or until you have a soft dough that is not sticky.
      Oil the dough.
      Cover the dough with a damp cloth and place in a warm place for 1½ - 2 hours, or until the dough has doubled in volume.
      Directions for plain naan:
      Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease a large, heavy baking tray and set aside. Lightly dust the rolling surface and rolling pin with flour.
      Knead the dough again on the floured surface for about 5 minutes. Divide it into 8 equal pieces and cover with a damp towel or plastic wrap.
      Roll each piece into a ball and flatten it with your hands. Using a rolling pin, roll it out into an oval shape (about 8 inches). Using your hands, pull at both ends of the oval to stretch it a little. Continue until you have made 8 naans.
      Brush each oval with clarified butter.

Place the naans on the baking sheet bake for 5 minutes. Turn on the broiler and broil for an additional 3 minutes or until golden brown.
      Peshawari Naan
      In this delightfully sinful recipe, the naan dough is stuffed with dried nuts and raisins and baked. Serve this warm right out of the oven for the best taste.
      1 recipe prepared plain naan dough
      For the stuffing:
      • 1 tablespoon cashews (crushed)
      • 1 tablespoon almonds (crushed)
      • 1+1 tablespoons pistachios (crushed)
      • 1 tablespoon raisins
      • 1 teaspoon cilantro leaves, minced
      • 1 teaspoon sugar
      • 1 tablespoon Milk Mawa Powder (Dried whole milk powder)

• 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, ground
      • 3 tablespoons melted butter or clarified butter
      Prepare the Naan dough.

While the dough is resting, prepare the filling.
      Set aside 1 tablespoon of pistachios and the raisins. In a mixing bowl combine all the other filling ingredients. Add a few tablespoons of water to bind them together to form a lumpy consistency.
      Roll the dough into a log. Cut into 8 equal portions. Lightly dust the rolling surface with flour.
      Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease a large, heavy baking tray and set aside. Lightly oil or flour your hands.
      Take one portion of the dough and roll into a ball between the palms of your hands. Flatten the ball. Place it on the floured surface. Use a rolling pin to roll it out into a circle about 5 - 6 inches in diameter.
      Add a tablespoon of the filling to the center. Bring the sides together and pinch them to seal and form a ball. Flatten lightly. Dust very lightly with flour.

Roll the flattened ball again on a lightly floured surface until about 5 - 6 inches in diameter.
      Garnish with the reserved pistachios and raisins.

Continue until you have made 8 naans.
      Brush each naan with clarified butter. Place the naans on the baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes. Turn on the broiler and broil for an additional 3 minutes or until golden brown.
      Serve hot.

Onion Kulcha
      We present this recipe by popular demand. Here the naan is stuffed with a spiced onion mix and baked to perfection.
      1 recipe prepared plain naan dough
      For the stuffing:
      • 2 small red onions, finely chopped
      • 1 tablespoon minced cilantro
      • 1 tablespoon Chaat Masala (www.namaste.com)
      • 1 teaspoon red chili powder
      • Salt to taste
      • 3 tablespoons melted butter or clarified butter
      • 2 teaspoons cilantro, minced for garnish
      • small boiled potato, grated (optional)
      Prepare the naan dough.

First, using the palms of your hands, squeeze out all the water from the chopped onions. If the onions still appear to be watery, add a small boiled grated potato to your filling. This will prevent the filling from spilling out of the kulcha.
      In a mixing bowl combine all the filling to form a lumpy consistency.

Roll the dough into a log. Cut into 8 equal portions. Lightly dust the rolling surface with flour.
      Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease a large, heavy baking tray and set aside. Lightly oil or flour your hands.
      Take one portion of the dough and roll into a ball between the palms of your hands. Flatten the ball. Place it on the floured surface. Use a rolling pin to roll it out into a circle about 5 - 6 inches in diameter.

Add a tablespoon of the filling to the center. Bring the sides together and pinch them to seal and form a ball. Flatten lightly. Dust very lightly with flour.

Roll the flattened ball again on a lightly floured surface until about 5 - 6 inches in diameter.

Dip your fingers in water and moisten the surface of the kulcha very lightly. Sprinkle with a few minced cilantro leaves. Continue until you have made 8 kulchas.

Place the kulchas on the baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes. Turn on the broiler and broil for an additional 3 minutes or until golden brown.
      Serve hot.

Ande Ka Paratha
      This is a unique addition to your recipe collection. A mild and flaky bread, it is a small kid’s favorite at our home.
      Makes 8 parathas
      • 2 cups Indian atta flour (whole-wheat flour)
      • 1½ teaspoons table salt
      • 2+2 tablespoons melted butter or clarified butter
      • Water as needed
      • 8 eggs
      In a bowl combine the flour, salt and two tablespoons of clarified butter. Slowly begin to add the water, kneading the flour as you go. Make a dough, kneading for at least 10 minutes. The final dough should be soft and pliable. It should not be sticky or else it will not roll out well.

Cover the dough with a damp cloth or plastic wrap and let it sit for 30 minutes.

Lightly oil or flour your hands. Take one portion and roll into a ball between the palms of your hands. Flatten the ball. Place it on the prepared floured surface. Use a rolling pin to roll it out into a circle about 5 - 6 inches in diameter.
      Now fold the dough over itself.

Take the folded dough and roll it around itself into a spiral.

Tuck the end under.

Do this for all eight dough balls. (This folding and rolling will make the paratha very flaky.)

Now flatten the spiral and roll again on a lightly floured surface until about 5 - 6 inches in diameter.

Heat a griddle on medium heat. Brush it lightly with butter and add the paratha. Cook for about 2 minutes, or until the bottom of the paratha begins to blister. Brush the top lightly with butter and remove from heat. Put the paratha aside on a warm plate.

Grease the same griddle a bit and break an egg on it. Cook the egg sunny side up. Place the cooked side of the paratha on the egg. Press down gently to break the yolk. Let it cook for a minute. Brush the top of the paratha with butter, flip carefully and cook for another minute or two until the paratha is no longer raw.

Remove the paratha from the griddle and place on a serving platter. Cover with a paper towel. Continue until all the parathas are cooked.
      Serve hot.

Indian Bread Stuffed With Spicy Potatoes (Aloo Ka Paratha)
      This filled paratha is a very popular North Indian bread, served traditionally with homemade white butter and Indian pickles of your choice.
      • 2 cups Indian atta flour (whole-wheat flour)
      • 4 tablespoons semolina
      • 1½ teaspoons table salt
      • 2 tablespoons melted clarified butter or butter
      • Water as needed
      • 3 medium potatoes, peeled
      • 2 Serrano green chilies, seeded and finely minced
      • 1 tablespoon cilantro, minced
      • 1 1-inch piece fresh ginger root, grated
      • 1 teaspoon Chaat Masala
      • 4 tablespoons melted clarified butter or butter
      • A few tablespoons flour for dusting
      In a bowl combine the wheat flour, semolina flour, salt and two tablespoons of clarified butter. Slowly begin to add the water, kneading the flour as you go. Make a dough, kneading for at least 10 minutes. The final dough should be soft and pliable. It should not be sticky, or else it will not roll out well.
      Cover the dough with a damp cloth or plastic wrap and let it sit for 30 minutes.
      Boil the potatoes in enough water to cover for about 15 minutes. Drain.

Put the potatoes in a bowl and mash them well with a fork. Add the green chilies, cilantro, ginger root, and chaat masala and mix well. Set this filling aside to cool.
      Lightly oil or flour your hands. Take one portion and roll into a ball between the palms of your hands. Flatten the ball. Place it on the prepared floured surface. Use a rolling pin to roll it out into a circle about 5 - 6 inches in diameter.
      Lightly brush the surface with the clarified butter. Add a tablespoon of the potato filling to the center. Bring the sides together and pinch them to seal and form a ball. Flatten lightly. Dust very lightly with flour.

Heat a griddle on medium heat. Brush it lightly with butter and add the paratha. Cook for about 2 minutes, or until the bottom of the paratha begins to blister. Brush the top lightly with butter and flip over. Cook for 2 minutes.

Remove the paratha from the griddle and place on a serving platter. Cover with a paper towel. Continue until all the parathas are cooked.

Sheermal
      A sweet bread, it is one of the few Indian breads that uses yeast. Keep the dough in a warm place to ensure that it rises. You can increase the amount of sugar if you like a sweeter taste.

• 1 packet dry yeast
      • 1 teaspoon sugar
      • ¼ cup water
      • 1½ cups all-purpose flour
      • ¼ teaspoon salt
      • 2 tablespoons sugar
      • 2 eggs (separate 1 egg and set the yolk aside) beat the whole egg and the white together
      • 2 tablespoons melted clarified butter or butter
      • Extra flour for dusting
      • Pitted cherries/raisins for garnish
      Mix yeast with the sugar and 1/4 cup water. Set aside until frothy, about 5 - 10 minutes.
      Combine the flour, salt and sugar. Add the clarified butter, egg and yeast mixture. Knead until a smooth dough is formed. (You may need more warm water.) Set aside to rise until the dough doubles in size.
      Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease a large, heavy baking tray and set aside. Lightly dust the rolling surface and rolling pin with flour.
      Knead the dough again on the floured surface for about 5 minutes. Divide it into 6 equal pieces and cover with a damp towel or plastic wrap.
      Roll each piece into a ball and flatten it with your hands. Using a rolling pin, roll it out into a disc. Continue until you have made 6 discs.
      Beat the reserved egg yolk and brush a little on each sheermal. Place a few cherries on the sheermal for garnish. Place the discs on the baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes.

Turn on the broiler and broil for an additional 3 minutes, or until golden brown.

Tandoori Roti
      We wanted to show how the tandoor is used to prepare breads. These pictures are of a special roti or bread, called Tandoori Roti, being prepared in the hot tandoor or clay oven.
      The basic recipe entails preparing a dough of whole-wheat flour. (See the paratha dough prepared earlier.) The flattened rolled out discs are then cooked in the tandoor until the dark spots begin appearing on the surface of the bread.

Post your questions here -->> Q&A