• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2016–)

DianaM

2 hours ago, PatrickT said:

@Ann_T Quick question for you. When Matt makes his pizza crusts, how much of your dough does he use - and roughly what size of a pizza does that yield? Would like to try this sometime this week or weekend. TIA! 😃

@PatrickT This is the 3rd batch of sourdough that had been in the fridge since Friday night. 

Taken out yesterday early morning and it was ready to use around 5:00 PM.  

Divided it in half and Matt made a pizza and I shaped a loaf and placed it in an oval Banneton.  Because it had been sitting out all day, I probably should have baked the loaf  last night, 

but decided to test it by putting in the fridge overnight.  I pulled it out and left it on the counter for about an hour and then just scored and baked.   And hoped for the best. 

1719035617_SourdoughSeptember21st2022.thumb.jpg.118eecc7a72fe86f4375df73de71ed1a.jpg

Was pleasantly surprised that it turned out as well as it did.   Gifted it to a friend of Matt's. 

Matt bakes his pizzas in the oven at 550°F on a preheated stone.  This pizza measured 16" and used 500G of dough.

1430510000_GreekPotatoPizzaSeptember20th2022.thumb.jpg.07b5c896cf466f49dc2a63cdf7890e5f.jpg

Greek Potato pizza with the addition of four cheeses. 

He tends to use between 400g and 500g for his pizzas. 

I use less when baking pizza in the Ooni because I like the pizzas to be less than 13". Around 300g

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

2 hours ago, Ann_T said:

He tends to use between 400g and 500g for his pizzas. 

I use less when baking pizza in the Ooni because I like the pizzas to be less than 13". Around 300g

Thank you very much, Ann! That loaf - and that pizza! - look amazing.

Bernard Clayton's Royal Hibernian Brown Loaf - an Irish soda bread. So different but absolutely delicious! Just mix the ingredients together, form the dough into a ball, score an X on top, and bake it on a baking sheet for 45 minutes. Couldn't be simpler - even for me! 😃

IMG_0019.jpeg

IMG_0020.jpeg

• Like 2

Started the dough before leaving for work this morning.
Left out on the counter for a room temperature fermentation.
Dough was ready to go when I got home from work around 5:30 PM.
Same day dough, 600g flour with 1g of yeast and 50g of sourdough discard with 375g water (63%).
160107484_SourdoughyeastBouleSeptember23rd20221.thumb.jpg.3942f261f26a74c71cce553992c04356.jpg

One large boule baked on the stone covered for the first 20 minutes with a roasting pan, uncovered and finished baking for another 10 minutes.
Edited to add:
592282165_SourdoughyeastBouleslicedSeptember24th20223.thumb.jpg.42107613f78e94998271cc4625dd1d7d.jpg
Sliced this morning.
1805375731_SourdoughyeastBouleslicedSeptember24th20221.thumb.jpg.23132dfc6a24b0808d1c58e5b592a834.jpg
Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 4
  • Delicious 1

I came in here expecting some beautiful challahs today for Rosh Hashanah!

I didn't make any this year because I'm on my own, and was afraid I'd just wind up turning it into French Toast and eating that all week.

🥴 

1 minute ago, CookBot said:

I came in here expecting some beautiful challahs today for Rosh Hashanah!

Attempting a challah is definitely on my list - but I haven't gotten to it, yet. I've seen a couple of beauties this past week on Reddit, though.

1 hour ago, PatrickT said:

Attempting a challah is definitely on my list - but I haven't gotten to it, yet. I've seen a couple of beauties this past week on Reddit, though.

The process is not at all daunting.  The braiding is for sure the hardest part, but is just one of those things you have to practice a bit.  I started with shoelaces and followed printed diagrams.  Still have to look at a diagram, cause it's not the kind of thing I do often enough to  I commit it to memory.

• Like 1