• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2016–)

DianaM

Really gorgeous baguettes, as always @Ann_T

Regarding lames, Tom Cucuzza made a great video a while back showing how to make one for less than $3 USD. I made one of them for myself and have never looked back - works perfectly for me. Easy to make, easy to clean and easy to change blades whenever they dull!

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, PatrickT said:

Regarding lames, Tom Cucuzza made a great video a while back showing how to make one for less than $3 USD. I made one of them for myself and have never looked back - works perfectly for me. Easy to make, easy to clean and easy to change blades whenever they dull!

I actually have one very similar.  From Wire Monkey. Basically the same as yours except it cost a lot more than $3.00.     Had great reviews

but I didn't really like it any better than the others that I have.     I found it was just as easy to use the double sided razor blade between my fingers.  

This set of knives, all of which have a very razor sharp blade cost $14.95 for the five so just $3.00 each.

Hopefully they will hold their edge.  Should last me a long time. 

• Like 1

This morning’s bake. Steel cut oat porridge sourdough with maple syrup. It has a thin, crispy crust, tender crumb, and a nutty flavor with just a hint of sweetness. Would definitely make this again. 

IMG_3024.jpeg

IMG_3025.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

5 hours ago, PatrickT said:

This morning’s bake. Steel cut oat porridge sourdough with maple syrup. It has a thin, crispy crust, tender crumb, and a nutty flavor with just a hint of sweetness. Would definitely make this again. 

IMG_3024.jpeg

IMG_3025.jpeg

Oh my gosh - I can taste that, and it's delicious! Huge fan of oat bread.

36 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

Oh my gosh - I can taste that, and it's delicious! Huge fan of oat bread.

Thank you @MaryIsobel! Totally agree with you - I’m a huge fan of these oat porridge recipes. This one is a mash-up of two I found online. Very pleased with the result. 😃

3 minutes ago, PatrickT said:

Thank you @MaryIsobel! Totally agree with you - I’m a huge fan of these oat porridge recipes. This one is a mash-up of two I found online. Very pleased with the result. 😃

And yours looks nice and light. Oatmeal bread is sometimes stodgy, but I love it all the same. I have a simple recipe that I can whip up quickly - makes 3 loaves and great toast:

https://www.farmgirlfare.com/2006/11/oatmeal-toasting-bread-baking.html

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

And yours looks nice and light. Oatmeal bread is sometimes stodgy, but I love it all the same. I have a simple recipe that I can whip up quickly - makes 3 loaves and great toast:

https://www.farmgirlfare.com/2006/11/oatmeal-toasting-bread-baking.html

Great recipe - I'll have to give that one a whirl, too. Thanks for sharing. 😃

I basically used this recipe as the base for mine and added 9% maple syrup to it, which was inspired by this recipe. I had a bag of Hayden Mills Heritage Blend Flour, which I used for mine. Really delicious!

• Like 1

Just my regular Sunday bread bake. Buns stuffed with a pork sausage and cabbage filling with a rich gravy, flavored with Herbs de Provence. Not a terribly imaginative filling but I went with what I had on hand. It was pretty darn good.

20230521_103959.thumb.jpg.ce689fa05c15348ac6a2f411c8feea33.jpg

20230521_113151.thumb.jpg.765a258884ce1d996e17834370ef960c.jpg

The bread was just my usual Light Brioche Bread.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 3

Yesterday's bake - Lemon and Herb Sourdough from Maurizio Leo's The Perfect Loaf cookbook. This recipe calls for Herbes de Provence and lemon zest and is made with a bread and rye flour levain. I added 10% honey to the dough and am very pleased with the result. It's definitely one of the most unusual breads I've ever eaten. The herbs are incredibly fragrant and flavorful - almost "woodsy." I grated my lemon zest coarsely and increased the amount to 2% of the total flour weight - perfect for me (but then, I love lemon). The honey added a nice compliment to the brightness of the lemon and the tang of the sourdough. This one is going on my regular baking rotation for sure.

IMG_3041.jpeg

IMG_3044.jpeg

IMG_3046.jpeg

IMG_3047.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

10 minutes ago, PatrickT said:

Yesterday's bake - Lemon and Herb Sourdough from Maurizio Leo's The Perfect Loaf cookbook. This recipe calls for Herbes de Provence and lemon zest and is made with a bread and rye flour levain. I added 10% honey to the dough and am very pleased with the result. It's definitely one of the most unusual breads I've ever eaten. The herbs are incredibly fragrant and flavorful - almost "woodsy." I grated my lemon zest coarsely and increased the amount to 2% of the total flour weight - perfect for me (but then, I love lemon). The honey added a nice compliment to the brightness of the lemon and the tang of the sourdough. This one is going on my regular baking rotation for sure.

IMG_3041.jpeg

IMG_3044.jpeg

IMG_3046.jpeg

IMG_3047.jpeg

Oh, my! That looks and sounds wonderful. I might have to buy that book just for this recipe! 

• Thanks 1

Deb

Liberty, MO

15 minutes ago, Maison Rustique said:

Oh, my! That looks and sounds wonderful. I might have to buy that book just for this recipe! 

Thank you - and you would not regret it! He’s included not only an amazing collection of recipes, but a wealth of sourdough knowledge and techniques, as well - all gorgeously illustrated. Highly recommend. If you find that you like the cookbook, become a member of his website, as well. He has a very active Discord channel that’s open to anyone who becomes a member. People share their bakes there, ask questions of Maurizio and each other, and there is a special section just for sharing cookbook questions. He sends out a weekly email as well, with more recipes and tips. Really awesome - and he is just the nicest guy you would ever want to meet. 😃 His website is here. Let me know if you have any questions about it.

https://www.theperfectloaf.com

Edited by PatrickT (log)
  • Like 2

@PatrickT, You must be happy with the crumb you are getting.  Beautiful loaf and interesting flavours. 

BatardssamedaybakeMay23rd2023withbigafromdaybefore.thumb.jpg.e40faccf75d84d998e709e3c9a766bf1.jpg

Started a sourdough biga late yesterday afternoon. Left out on the counter overnight.
Made the dough this morning and baked today. Two batards and two pizzas.
SausageMushroomandGreenOlivesMay23rd2023withsamedaydough2.thumb.jpg.60e2a136c4e4bd3c7175b92eef1cc2b9.jpg
Happy with the crumb on the pizza crust, especially for a same day pizza.  
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, Ann_T said:

You must be happy with the crumb you are getting.  Beautiful loaf and interesting flavours. 

Thank you @Ann_T. I am very happy with the crumb on that loaf and I have no idea how I did it. 😂 Your crumb on that pizza crust is exactly what I would hope to see if I went out to an Italian restaurant. Lovely!

• Like 1

Baked a loaf of Jim Lahey's Pane al Latte (Milk Bread) yesterday. His recipe is a no knead recipe, but I did a number of stretch and folds with autolyze in between.

PanealLatteMilkBreadMay24th2023.thumb.jpg.87bcd7f92425ba2af4e4e5da06fb1b95.jpg

Very soft bread, perfect for sandwiches. 

I think we will have hot chicken sandwiches on this bread for dinner. 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

17 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

I am green with envy. That looks like amazing bread but then all your breads look amazing. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 5/25/2023 at 10:37 AM, Ann_T said:

Baked a loaf of Jim Lahey's Pane al Latte (Milk Bread) yesterday. His recipe is a no knead recipe, but I did a number of stretch and folds with autolyze in between.

PanealLatteMilkBreadMay24th2023.thumb.jpg.87bcd7f92425ba2af4e4e5da06fb1b95.jpg

Very soft bread, perfect for sandwiches. 

Do you have a link to that recipe or did you use his book?

5 hours ago, PatrickT said:

Perhaps @Ann_T can confirm that it's the same, but I found one here on the web you could use.

Thank you!  How important is the wheat bran, given I don't have any and don't want to buy a package of it only to use 1 Tablespooon?

Edited to add:  never mind, I picked some up today.  BTW, did you bake yours in a Pullman pan?

Edited by ElsieD (log)

@ElsieD, @PatrickT, yes that is the same recipe.

Elise, I just added a tablespoon of some whole wheat that I had on hand. Not sure the wheat bran or otherwise is necessary. 

And no, I just used a regular bread pan.  The Pullman pan I have is more like a cocktail bread size pan.    

• Thanks 1

Today I made Jim Lahey's Milk Bread per the recipe that @PatrickTlinked to.  I'm not sure why it has a bit of a yellow tint (in real life it isn't quite this yellow)  but I can say it's delicious.   I plan to scale the recipe up to fit my 13" Pullman pan as i'll be making it again.

20230528_194131.jpg

Edited by ElsieD
Clarification on colour (log)
  • Like 4
  • Delicious 2