• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2016–)

DianaM

On 3/27/2023 at 5:56 AM, PatrickT said:

I asked ChatGPT the following

I asked ChatGPT to find me a Green Chile Bread recipe that mimics the GCB from Michaels Kitchen in Taos NM.   The AI had a disclaimer it couldn't access specific recipes at specific restaurants...yada yada.  But it did provide me with 2 differing recipes for GCB.   It looks like it gave me quick bread styles.  I'm not sure if Michael's bread is a quick bread or risen.   I'm going to try each one in the next few weeks for some of my bakes.   Here's a pic of a slice of the original bread we liked.

IMG_1353.jpg

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

I asked ChatGPT to find me a Green Chile Bread recipe that mimics the GCB from Michaels Kitchen in Taos NM.   The AI had a disclaimer it couldn't access specific recipes at specific restaurants...yada yada.  But it did provide me with 2 differing recipes for GCB.   It looks like it gave me quick bread styles.  I'm not sure if Michael's bread is a quick bread or risen.   I'm going to try each one in the next few weeks for some of my bakes.   Here's a pic of a slice of the original bread we liked.

IMG_1353.jpgX

Very cool idea! I didn't get any warning message using my prompt ("Please provide a green chili bread recipe in the spirit of Michael’s Kitchen Restaurant and Bakery.") and here's the recipe ChatGPT generated for me. Is this one the same as one of ones it provided for you - or is it different?

And PS - I might have to try this recipe. Sounds delicious!

Sure, here's a recipe for Green Chile Bread in the spirit of Michael's Kitchen Restaurant and Bakery:

Ingredients:

• 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 cup diced green chiles
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

Instructions:

1. Preheat your oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan with cooking spray or butter.

2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Stir until well combined.

3. Add the vegetable oil, milk, and eggs to the dry ingredients. Stir until just combined.

4. Fold in the cheddar cheese, green chiles, cilantro, and garlic powder. Mix until everything is evenly distributed.

5. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and smooth the top with a spatula.

6. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean.

7. Let the bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove it from the pan and transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely.

8. Once the bread has cooled, slice it and serve with butter or cream cheese, if desired.

Enjoy your delicious and savory Green Chile Bread, inspired by Michael's Kitchen Restaurant and Bakery!

Edited by PatrickT (log)
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, PatrickT said:

Is this one the same as one of ones it provided for you - or is it different?

Here's the one I got.  I just realized that it gave me the same recipe twice even though I asked it to regenerate.

I'm sorry, but as an AI language model, I do not have access to the specific recipe for Michael's Kitchen's Green Chile Bread. However, I can suggest some general recipes for green chile bread that you may try to replicate the dish. Here is one recipe:

Ingredients:

• 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup chopped roasted green chiles
  • 1/4 cup chopped scallions
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1/4 cup melted unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 2 large eggs

Instructions:

1. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease a 9-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
  3. Stir in the chopped green chiles, scallions, and cilantro until well combined.
  4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the melted butter, buttermilk, and eggs until smooth.
  5. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
  6. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
  7. Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean.
  8. Let the bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring it to a wire rack to cool completely.

Note: For a spicier version, you can increase the amount of green chiles or use hotter varieties.

• Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

Here's the one I got.  I just realized that it gave me the same recipe twice even though I asked it to regenerate.

Thanks! Post some pics of yours if you wind up trying it. I'll do the same with the one it gave me. 😃

First go at a Shokupan Milk bread in pullman pan.   More success than fail.   I might have not scaled the recipe up correctly for a 13" pan or I maybe just didn't let it proof quite enough.  It kissed the lid but didn't flatten out completely.   It's delicious though.  Sweet and pillowy.  

IMG_1369 2.jpg

IMG_1370 2.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

@lemniscate, looks like that bread would make a wonderful sandwich bread.

Sourdough Rye Bake this morning. 
RYELEVAINAFTERTHREESTRETCHANDFOLDSAPRIL6TH.thumb.jpg.b270272b12c6a30bd063d0457d4080b3.jpg
Started two levains yesterday morning, one with the rye starter and one with
WHITELEVAINAFTERTHREESTRETCHANDFOLDSAPRIL6.thumb.jpg.52492ffd522363d7f584d68655ecf6b4.jpg
the white.

WHITEANDRYELEVAINSREADYTOUSEAPRIL6TH.thumb.jpg.5b41142d0542419b71abe7330a17f725.jpg
Both had more than doubled by the time I got home from work. 
SOURDOUGHRYESLOWRISEOVERNIGHTMORNINGAPRIL7TH.thumb.jpg.afdb52659a3801cc80336f4f0dd96b08.jpg
Made two doughs, one white which went into the fridge and the other was a rye dough that I left out over
night and baked this morning. 

SOURDOUGHRYEAPRIL7TH20231.thumb.jpg.c2c2a83c579b7e510978359015d15fec.jpg
Baked two sourdough rye.
SOURDOUGHRYEAPRIL7TH20233.thumb.jpg.0acc517b6f2106baaf5206687750d91b.jpg

WHITE AND RYE LEVAINS READY TO USE APRIL 6TH.jpg

• Like 4
  • Delicious 5

Yesterday's bake. One of my favorite recipes from Bernard Clayton is his Lemon Honey Whole Wheat. It's an amazing sandwich bread, with a zesty sweetness and a soft crumb. I decided to try converting his original recipe to a sourdough version. I used an overnight levain, an overnight cold retard, and baked the loaf in my Pullman pan. I'm very pleased with the result (although next time, I will try baking the loaf at 400F as it got a little dark).

This was 74% hydration, using a 50/50 blend of Central Milling Old World Bread Flour and King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour. I used the zest of an entire lemon and will probably increase the honey a bit next time to accommodate the tang of the sourdough. Crust is thin but wonderfully firm; crumb is very soft with a delightful flavor. I'm already eager to try this one again!

IMG_2552.jpeg

IMG_2553.jpeg

IMG_2557.jpeg

IMG_2564.jpeg

IMG_2565.jpeg

IMG_2633.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Delicious 2

@PatrickT, that does look like a wonderful sandwich bread. 

Yesterday's bake.
Started two yeast levains Tuesday morning.
They doubled quickly so I made two batches of dough, each with 1000g of flour, 1g of yeast, 30g of salt and 630 g of water. The hydration is probably more like 65% by the time I dip my hand in water for each of the stretch and folds.
Both doughs went into the fridge. I woke up at 1:00 AM yesterday morning and  got up and took one batch out and left if on the counter until after 6:00 AM.
The other batch is still in the fridge and will probably get baked sometime over the next three days.
BaguettesBakedApril19th2023.thumb.jpg.36565b0bd6a55a61dcc608a4334631e8.jpg
Baked 8 baguettes.
BaguettesBakedApril19th20231.thumb.jpg.5d9391ba07169beabb1ae5d9d113ef51.jpg
Sliced. 
  • Like 4
  • Delicious 1

11 hours ago, Ann_T said:

that does look like a wonderful sandwich bread. 

Thanks @Ann_T - it was wonderful.

Your baguettes are absolute perfection!

Today's bake. This is a Spelt Porridge Sourdough, made using Tom Cucuzza's Two-Stage Bulk Fermentation method. Very interesting process that I will definitely try again. I'm always looking for higher shoulders with my loaves (and that ever-elusive open crumb I can't seem to find), but I'm otherwise very pleased with the color and aesthetics of this loaf. I have high hopes for the flavor, as it's similar to the Rye Porridge loaf I baked a while back. I'll post a crumb shot later today or tomorrow.

EDIT: Crumb shots added. Flavor is really delicious - very nutty with a soft, moist crumb. 

IMG_2677.jpeg

IMG_2681.jpeg

IMG_2684.jpeg

IMG_2685.jpeg

IMG_2687.jpeg

IMG_2688.jpeg

IMG_2690.jpeg

IMG_2691.jpeg

Edited by PatrickT
Added crumb shots (log)
  • Like 4
  • Delicious 1

Yesterday's bake - Black Sesame Marble Milk Bread. My marbling technique obviously leaves something to be desired. 🙃 The tangzhong technique gives the crumb an enviable "pillowy, pull-apart" quality, while the black sesame seeds yield an incredible nuttiness. I had two slices of this bread this morning with not a single thing on them - not even butter - and I savored every last crumb. Wow! Give this one a try - you won't regret it. I also feel this recipe would make a terrific base for a cinnamon raisin bread and will definitely try that iteration at some future point.

The first picture below is the tangzhong, followed by the two doughs after the first proof, the braided dough, and the final bake and crumb.

IMG_2743.jpeg

IMG_2746.jpeg

IMG_2747.jpeg

IMG_2752.jpeg

IMG_2753.jpeg

IMG_2757.jpeg

IMG_2758.jpeg

IMG_2759.jpeg

Edited by PatrickT (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 3

@PatrickT You make much more interesting breads than I do. I've never tried that method.  I really love the colour of this loaf. 

The dough matches your granite counter top. 

I started this batch of dough last Wednesday April 19th with a yeast levain and pulled it out of the fridge on Monday April 24th early in the day and

baked late afternoon. 

BreadbakeApril24thDoughMadeApril19th20232.thumb.jpg.a01b0237cd53c8379f1a5d58ad5cb74c.jpg

Netted two medium size batards, two small batards, and one baguette. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Ann_T said:

@PatrickT You make much more interesting breads than I do. I've never tried that method.  I really love the colour of this loaf. 

The dough matches your granite counter top. 

Thank you very much @Ann_T! Are you still using 1 gram of yeast and 63% hydration for these loaves you're baking? They are all gorgeous.

58 minutes ago, PatrickT said:

Thank you very much @Ann_T! Are you still using 1 gram of yeast and 63% hydration for these loaves you're baking? They are all gorgeous.

I've been using 1g in 500g batches and 2g in 1000g batches.

Lately I have been making a yeast levain to start bread dough and use 1g of yeast in the levain which gets added to 1000g of flour with 30 of salt and 1g of yeast. 

If I make a sourdough levain, I don't add any yeast. 

• Like 1

A small sourdough loaf, 400g bread flour, white whole wheat and rye.  This had a 12 hour bulk ferment and an overnight in the fridge. Baked in a Corningware container, cold start, for about 40 minutes. It was great with soup, looking forward to sandwiches. The crust is considerably lighter than the pictures indicate.

IMG_3539.jpeg

IMG_3541.jpeg

Edited by OlyveOyl
Further comment. (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using a bread machine to make bread and pizza dough for 30 years or so, but have recently developed an interest in oven baked breads. Yesterday was my first attempt at baguettes. I haven't enough experience to have any deductions, so all remarks are welcome.

Dough was made in bread machine using @Tropicalsenior's Mock Sourdough bread. I substituted greek yogurt + some water (1/2 cup) for sour cream, proportions not recorded. In the bread machine, the dough looked a bit wet so I added one tablespoon more flour.

I inherited some 18" baguette trays made of lightweight metal with no perforations. Somewhere was posted that oiling/buttering baguette trays was recommended. I used what I thought was a small amount of Grapeseed oil spray which was spread around with a pastry brush. (More about this later).

The dough was very sticky. I was completely unable to shape it on the counter. It was weighed and approximately divided. Once into the tray I pulled it into a vague shape. A great amount of dough remained stuck to my hands which could only be removed with a scrubbie.

IMG_5202_cropped.thumb.jpg.bddac3617735a3bda982003e3c38e623.jpg

The dough had rested in the bread machine bucket for ~20 minutes after dough cycle completed, so some expansion was lost when I moved the dough to the counter. It rose a bit more in the following hour.

These trays are too long to fit in my Anova steam oven. Baguettes were baked on a ceramic pizza peel in the regular oven, with no attempt to generate any steam.

IMG_5209V_cropped.thumb.jpg.7d804dc472219731cabb903cc5fbf937.jpg

The loaf was adequately baked internally though did not brown well.

Oiling of baguette trays produced a much darker baked product where the dough touched the oiled surface

IMG_5219_cropped.thumb.jpg.7bec31035362af00fd179312198e7c5f.jpg

The crust was completely soft where the dough touched the oiled pan. Not much chew.

IMG_5218_cropped.thumb.jpg.cca7e4263036615572bc9c038e3fb061.jpg

Overall, the bread was acceptable. Flavour and chew could be better.

It was suggested that using parchment paper would keep bread dough from sticking to tray without messing up the crust.

What temperature should the interior of the baguette be when done?

For future bakes, would you recommend using the regular oven or Anova steam oven? 

These baguettes were 13" long. I'm interested to make a smaller baguette (thinking the bread will taste fresher unbroken/unopened). Can I place 2 baguettes in one tray? Know where to buy a tray with more, smaller trays?

Here's the dinner using the baguette (one baguette fed 4 people).

Edited by TdeV
Corrections (log)
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, lindag said:

When shaping the dough did you wet your hands with oil or cool water to help prevent it sticking to you?

No. Some places I have read to dust one's hands with flour, others with water. Now possibly oil. Will try to remember, thanks.

• Like 1

This is the third time I’ve made this Guinness sourdough with quark cheese, thyme and caraway. It’s still one of my all-time favorites - really delicious. I made this loaf as a gift for a friend who visited yesterday (so alas, no crumb shots).

Tomorrow, I’m going to try making a steel cut oat porridge sourdough with maple syrup. Will post those pics later this week. 

Happy baking, all!

IMG_2991.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

8 hours ago, PatrickT said:

This is the third time I’ve made this Guinness sourdough with quark cheese, thyme and caraway. It’s still one of my all-time favorites - really delicious. I made this loaf as a gift for a friend who visited yesterday (so alas, no crumb shots).

Tomorrow, I’m going to try making a steel cut oat porridge sourdough with maple syrup. Will post those pics later this week. 

Happy baking, all!

IMG_2991.jpeg

Another beauty.   Lucky friend. 

I haven't baked bread in almost three weeks.  Been going through withdrawal.

But I needed to use up bread in the freezer.

Yesterday I fed both sourdough starters and started two levains.   The levains weren't going to be ready to use in time so they

went into the fridge and I took them out this morning and will make two batches of dough later today. Both will go into the fridge

and get baked over the next couple of days.

I also started a batch of dough last night with 1000g of flour and 2g of yeast, at 65% hydration.

BaguettesovernightfermentationbakedMay17th2023.thumb.jpg.69a3e43a2a2ae02de52922e77a0129fd.jpg

Left out of the counter overnight and baked this morning.  Last baguette came out of the oven just after 6:00 AM.

I have never been overly happy with any of the lames I've tried. And I have tried a few. Usually I just use a two sided razor blade between my fingers for scoring loaves.
I saw a Baker's knife by Victorinox with a serrated edge that looked promising but couldn't find one in stock so I went looking for something similar.
ParingknivesusedforscoringMay17th2023.thumb.jpg.fa56f09c7fbeb353698a5f4f51ac8561.jpg
Bought a 5 pc set of paring knives from Lee Valley. Made by Solingen (Germany) .Two of the knives have a 2 3/8" blades and two have 3 3/8" blades and one of the paring knives has a very fine serrated edge. All the blades are very sharp.
I've now tried both the straight edge and the serrated edge knives. Both work great. The knives are as sharp as a razor blade.
ParingknivesusedforscoringMay17th20231.thumb.jpg.5e1aa681fa72e6145e531d9926c899c3.jpg
I think I prefer the serrated edge the best though.
Much happier with these knives for scoring loaves than any I have in my lame collection.
And they were much less expensive than any of the lames. $14.95 CAD for the set.
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1