• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2016–)

DianaM

8 hours ago, Ann_T said:

have them in the freezer for

Moe to have for lunch

Thanks. That's the best part of making these, having some to send for Carlos in his lunches and for my lunch during the week. Only mine never last long enough to make it into the freezer.

• Like 2

Another big pan de mie sandwich loaf.   Sourdough, but also with some super ripe kefir added.   A mix of KA bread flour, Glick's high gluten and some white rye.   Dough was from Saturday, baked last night.   Didn't get a high as the last loaf but plenty of real estate for sandwich or toast.  My tangiest sourdough yet.   Also, the $2 1960's electric knife from the local garage sale is my new favorite bread knife.

edit:  There was maybe 1/4 cup of potato flakes added too.  I forgot.

IMG_1291.jpg

Edited by lemniscate
potato flakes (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Last of the two levain batches made on Saturday.
This was the one made with the discard from my rye starter.
Dough was taken out of the fridge around 7:30 AM this morning and the dough was ready to shape around 4:00.

SourdoughRyeLevainBakedFebruary28th2023.thumb.jpg.7013e6864ccf09cd2ce94c53e86df890.jpg
I shaped two larger loaves, and three shorter fatter baguettes.
The larger loaves were started under the Spun Iron Cloche and then moved over on the stone uncovered.
The three baguettes were started in the CSO on a stone using the Bread Steam setting and after 10 minutes transferred to the stone in the big oven.
SourdoughRyeLevainBakedFebruary28th20234.thumb.jpg.15030d573fa627dc17f20a33a6c0019a.jpg
The two larger loaves were scored lengthwise and one of the baguettes was scored the traditional way.
SourdoughRyeLevainBakedFebruary28th20232.thumb.jpg.47158808b797d400f5b06381b7beb860.jpg
But the other two I decided to score them lengthwise as well, because I really like the ears. 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 4

On 2/20/2023 at 6:25 PM, KennethT said:

For those who have been following my roti prata exercise in frustration, I tried this recipe today (but I wasn't sitting on the floor like she is).  Total fail - I used the exact same hydration as she did but my dough barely even came together.  I wound up having to add quite a bit more water - maybe a few tablespoons worth to get it to even come together at all, even after resting for 30 minutes after mixing.

After resting several hours, when stretching the dough, it was like I was trying to stretch a rubber sheet - it snapped back worse than before and I have basically doubled the amount of oil from the last time.  It was so bad I wound up scrapping the whole thing!

To add to my frustration, I found this video:

This guy uses no oil whatsoever in the dough and doesn't even measure the amount of water he's using!!  And his water temperature is regular room temperature water (granted they're in India so room temp is probably like 80-90F).  Plus, he is barely resting that dough compared to what I was doing.  One thing I can discern is that he is kneading it a LOT less than I do.  He's barely kneading it at all.  Maybe that's what I'll try next....

I'm never measuring or weighing anything ever again. 🤣 Amazing! Thanks for sharing that.

• Haha 1

Looks like everyone has been having a good time with their bakes during my hiatus. My wife Ann and I just came back from a 2-week road trip to Florida, visiting friends and former work colleagues. Gorgeous weather every day, but I missed y'all and missed my weekly bakes!

We have friends coming over on Sunday for a soup luncheon, so I thought I would try @Ann_T's process with a new Pane Siciliano recipe from Maurizio Leo at the Perfect Loaf. The Central Milling Semolina Wheat/Durum flour in this loaf is just amazing - the color is gorgeous and it feels so silky. Started the dough this afternoon and popped it in the fridge after the S&Fs, where it will remain until Saturday. I decided to make a yeasted dough and increased the hydration from 75% to 80% because the flour was still thirsty at 75%. I also added some rosemary and minced dried garlic to complement the soup we're making. I'll post additional pics on Saturday and Sunday. Anxious to see how this one tastes!

EDIT: It turned out to be an interesting experience with this dough. I decided to bake the loaf a day ahead and I'm really glad I did. It was in the fridge for about 2 days, then sat on the counter to BF/final proof for 21.5 HRS AT 68F! Why this dough took so incredibly long to proof is beyond me (bad yeast, perhaps?), but after that head scratcher, I decided to do the final proof and bake in a loaf tin. Final proof (on my oven's proof setting) took another 3.5 HRS! Did an egg wash and topped it with white and black sesame seeds. Not a lot of oven spring, but at least the loaf looked pretty. LOL Great crust and a dense but very moist and tender crumb, with an otherworldly color! Flavors were very subtle. I can't say that it's my favorite loaf I've ever baked, but it's certainly different. Our company loved it, so I was happy about that. Pics below.

IMG_2318.jpeg

IMG_2319.jpeg

IMG_2320.jpeg

IMG_2332.jpeg

IMG_2333.jpeg

IMG_2334.jpeg

IMG_2335.jpeg

IMG_2336.jpeg

IMG_2342.jpeg

Edited by PatrickT
Added pics from final bake (log)
  • Like 7

Fed my starters yesterday morning and made three Levains each with 55g of discard.
Made three doughs last night, two with 1000g of flour added and one with 600g.
Kept one of the 1000g batches out on the counter over night and baked this morning.
The other two went into the fridge and Matt took the smaller one out this morning so he can make pizza later.
The other one will stay in the fridge for a day or two.
SourdoughOvalMarch11th2023.thumb.jpg.d67ed754af5fdb05b916c2f93bf47f6a.jpg
Today's  Sourdough bake.
SourdoughBakeMarch11th2023.thumb.jpg.ff4438416ebef2d2bd3c25b90a453506.jpg
One oval, four baguettes and a little roll.
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 3

@PatrickT, that is where having some experience comes in handy. Some doughs just take longer or don't act the way one expects them too.   

Looks like your patience paid off.

Beautiful loaf and the crumb is also very nice.  

SourdoughFridayMarch10bakedWednesdayMarch15th2023.thumb.jpg.08526336c7bae88734ee3aed82e116ca.jpg

Sourdough batch started last Friday and went into the fridge until Tuesday night.  
Left on the counter until 4:00 AM yesterday morning.

I started a biga on Tuesday night and made the dough yesterday morning.   It was ready to go late afternoon. 
BaguettesyeastbigaMarch15th20231.thumb.jpg.8dfdc5e544c93434c778ed69266963aa.jpg
Baked eight baguettes.  Both batches were baked for a friend. 
I think this was the most bread I've baked in one day. 
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

4 hours ago, Ann_T said:

I think this was the most bread I've baked in one day. 

That is quite a beautiful haul! 😍 Lucky friends. 

Thanks for your comments on my most recent bake. Not my favorite, but it was a great experiment!

Baked two loaves this morning - a plain sourdough and a crazy loaf made with bread, whole wheat and rye flours, caraway seeds, thyme, molasses, quark cheese and Guinness beer in place of the water. Quite the aroma while baking! I'll post crumb shots and results of the taste test later today.

EDIT: Crumb shot for Guinness loaf added. Flavor is insanely good! I've also added the recipe below, in case anyone would like to try it. 

IMG_2371.jpeg

IMG_2375.jpeg

IMG_2377.jpeg

Screenshot 2023-03-16 at 12.40.02 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-03-16 at 12.40.25 PM.png

Edited by PatrickT (log)
  • Like 6

With apologies to the purists among us, here’s my take on what I’ll call “a sourdough-Irish-soda-bread-inspired loaf” I baked yesterday. 😂

Aesthetically, the final loaf is admittedly a bit wonky - but the texture and flavor are simply wonderful! I’m not usually a fan of traditional Irish soda bread (so dry!), so I cobbled together my own version from several different sources and came up with something I thought I would like. I will hands down make this again. What I do admire so much about Irish soda bread is its simplicity: I put this loaf together in 20 minutes and it was done baking about an hour later. YUM!

EDIT: Happy to share the recipe if anyone is interested. 

573D5A55-334A-44E9-8EF7-D837013DBA41.jpeg

AAF59868-4576-4E9E-BA20-887DC59F9C65.jpeg

86350809-4AC5-4128-A4AB-F73742BCC198.jpeg

F4819CE9-5EF5-446C-A04B-64DC02410D11.jpeg

Edited by PatrickT (log)
  • Like 3
  • Delicious 2

Today's early morning bake.
BaguettesandminiboulesyeastlevaininthefridgesinceWednesdaybakedSundayMarch26th2023.thumb.jpg.ee1a5668ded97d021ff899ec3d595357.jpg

Dough was started with a "yeast levain" on Wednesday night and then into the fridge for a 72 hour cold fermentation.
Taken out of the fridge last night and left on the counter overnight from 8:00 PM until 4:00 AM this morning.
Baked four baguettes and two mini boules.
BaguettesandminiboulesyeastlevaininthefridgesinceWednesdaybakedSundayMarch26th20232.thumb.jpg.066811b7cd0374a43d1b33dfaceed5ee.jpg
Sliced for breakfast. 
Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 5

Can artificial intelligence create a sourdough bread recipe that actually works? Inspired by a recent post from FoodGeek, I asked ChatGPT the following: "Please create a savory sourdough bread recipe with a mix of bread flour, whole wheat flour and rye flour. Include a blend of 3 complementary herbs and 2 kinds of seeds mixed in with the dough." Here's the result of the recipe it provided, with oregano, thyme, rosemary, sesame seeds and poppy seeds. Pretty impressive! I'll post crumb shots and the results of the taste test later today.

EDIT: Crumb shot added. Flavor is delicious! +1 for ChatGPT. 😂

IMG_2438.jpeg

IMG_2439.jpeg

IMG_2440.jpeg

F7CF0D09-09D5-40D8-92CC-A12315D2E0AE.jpeg

Edited by PatrickT (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 1

@PatrickT, your breads are perfect.  

Fed both my starters Monday  morning, one with Rye and one with White.
Levains2sourdoughand1yeastMarch27th2023.thumb.jpg.54653e9102f94f855d1789460aaf3280.jpg
Also made two levains with the discard from the starters and one levain with  1g of yeast.
Both starters had almost doubled in three hours. 
FedbothRyeandWhiteStartersMarch27th20231.thumb.jpg.d777a5514f0c52af0e14ba3e9a1265d2.jpg
Starters after five hours.  White a little quicker than the rye fed.
FedbothRyeandWhiteStartersMarch27th20233.thumb.jpg.4603d1f48e1dca494fba47b67d8814d4.jpg
The Rye caught up a couple of hours later. 

Levains2sourdoughand1yeastMarch27th20233.thumb.jpg.1cd1f18388a0e61cba64bea8fa96c9c4.jpg
By 5:00 PM the yeast only  levain reached the top of the container and the two sourdoughs had more than doubled.
All were ready to use.

Made three batches of dough.  The two sourdough levains were each added to 1000g of flour, 30g of salt and 630g of water.
Needed to add a little more water. 

The yeast levain was added to 1000g of flour, 30g of salt and 1g of yeast, 630g of water.  
WhiteLevainwithYeastlaststretchandfoldMarch27th2023.thumb.jpg.67196f87aa74cce0a142354a425f3f72.jpg
The yeast batch after the last stretch and fold. 
WhiteLevainwithYeastlaststretchandfoldMarch27th20231.thumb.jpg.9782c92717c2acf763b85f454973cad0.jpg
Ready to go into the container and into the fridge with the white sourdough batch. 

The Rye levain dough was left out on the counter all night and wasn't ready to use until almost noon. 

Matt used 500g of the dough to make a 17" pizza and I baked two ovals using the remain dough. 
RyeSourdoughLevaindoughMarch27th2023BakedMar28th1.thumb.jpg.5569b5cdb8a3153574b8bc46839ca778.jpg
One slightly larger than the other.  The loaves were out of the oven by 3:30. 

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

Husband and I were both taken by this recipe for quick NAAN.    He surprised me by printing out the recipe which I had previously and unknown to him bookmarked.  

No pics, but simple prep and quite recognizable product.    Tender and flavorful.    Only butter on hand to dress them, so next time will have a tasty curry ready.

• Like 6

eGullet member #80.

11 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Husband and I were both taken by this recipe for quick NAAN.    He surprised me by printing out the recipe which I had previously and unknown to him bookmarked.  

No pics, but simple prep and quite recognizable product.    Tender and flavorful.    Only butter on hand to dress them, so next time will have a tasty curry ready.

I just saved a quick naan recipe last week. I'll have to compare it to see how it is different from this one. Have not made it yet.

Deb

Liberty, MO