• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2016–)

DianaM

532634209_SourdoughBoulewith100gofwholewheatsamedaybakeJanuary22nd2023.thumb.jpg.cfaff8080753a228db39ac5bebf46038.jpg

Yesterday's same day bake.

943759765_SourdoughBoulewith100gofwholewheatsamedaybakeEarJanuary22nd2023.thumb.jpg.aaa40ef55cb6675dcad1074dfaee723b.jpg

Large Boule.

2088857156_SourdoughBoulewith100gofwholewheatsamedaybakeBunnyJanuary22nd2023.thumb.jpg.4927b6f17a54baedc987221fa61936ce.jpg

Started in the morning.  Taken out of the oven around 7:30 PM.

1712079344_SourdoughBoulewith100gofwholewheatsamedaybakeBunnyJanuary22nd20232.thumb.jpg.8e6fe38723bf5a099a1e88abdc2d4981.jpg

I fed my sourdough starter yesterday morning and tossed a little of the discard into a 500g batch with a pinch of yeast.

400g of my bread flour and 100g of whole wheat. 65% hydration.

Sliced this morning for breakfast.

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 4
  • Delicious 2

761536902_CrustyBunssamedaybakeJanuary24th20232.thumb.jpg.2575a5d91bf40131144b5c830f55cca8.jpg
Last night and today's early morning bake.
Started a 750g batch of dough yesterday morning.
2g of yeast, 20g of salt and 65% hydration.

Dough was left on the counter all day for a long fermentation at room temperature.
951567154_CrustyBunssamedaybakeJanuary24th2023.thumb.jpg.8a0577eeb16f0eb0214025ca9e43357f.jpg
Divided it last night and baked six crusty rolls and the
46259508_Bouledough750gJanuary24thbakedoutofthefridgeJanuary25th2023.thumb.jpg.832bc31135b13fd15cd5a1d9da5d8ffa.jpg

other half was shaped and went into the fridge for a cold proof and baked this morning.

@PatrickT I tried your cold proof and bake right from the fridge this morning.  
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 1

@Ann_T when you mention on the counter all day - what ambient temp range is your norm.  Thanks also for posting that 100% hydration one-off. I got close to that accidentally the other day. Just no-knead with white whole wheat flour as there were just a couple spoons left in the white AP bag. I walked away halfway when adding water and got confused realized i'd portioned out almost double water. I noticed the dough was super wet so I stopped . Thought would be a bust  After overnight plus on counter I gave it a try. The dough was quite wet but it held together easily more than usual. Quite elastic. Very tasty both  untoasted (image) and toasted. Lightly sour/nutty. 

IMG_1882.jpg

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, heidih said:

@Ann_T when you mention on the counter all day - what ambient temp range is your norm.  Thanks also for posting that 100% hydration one-off. I got close to that accidentally the other day. Just no-knead with white whole wheat flour as there were just a couple spoons left in the white AP bag. I walked away halfway when adding water and got confused realized i'd portioned out almost double water. I noticed the dough was super wet so I stopped . Thought would be a bust  After overnight plus on counter I gave it a try. The dough was quite wet but it held together easily more than usual. Quite elastic. Very tasty both  untoasted (image) and toasted. Lightly sour/nutty. 

IMG_1882.jpg

@Heidi, temperature is between 19°C and 21°C.

Good crumb on your bread.  It really is difficult to screw up bread. 

853888934_Sourdoughwith100gofSpeltflouroverfermented.thumb.jpg.c7a347c82ebb615b32cef380ade96cc4.jpg

This loaf just came out of the oven.

Fermentation was way to long.

The dough was sourdough with 100g of Spelt a long with 400g of my regular bread flour.  It had been in the fridge since Monday morning. Taken out last night and left on the counter

until 4:30 this morning.   Dough had totally lost its structure and was very soft.  Wouldn't hold its shape.  

I proofed it in the bottom of a clay baker , lined with a tea towel.  Tipped it on to a paddle .  It spread out and was difficult to score.

So I just slid it on to the stone and covered with a large roasting pan and hoped for the best.

Didn't get a big oven spring, but it looks better than I expected it too.

• Like 9

On 1/25/2023 at 9:23 AM, Ann_T said:

@PatrickT I tried your cold proof and bake right from the fridge this morning.

As always, your loaves exceed all expectations. 😍 What did you think of baking right out of the fridge? I swear the one loaf above that I did NOT do that with actually gave me a far more open crumb. Curious to hear how you think it compares to your normal process. 

My first whack at creating a cinnamon raisin sourdough. This is 80/20 bread flour and spelt flour at 80% hydration. I made it with Vietnamese cinnamon and golden raisins soaked in vanilla extract. The smell of this loaf baking was truly other-worldly. 😍 Will post the crumb later today. 

Interesting that, in spite of the score, the loaf still burst on the end. Does anyone have any thoughts on that for me?

EDIT: Forgot the process details. BF was 16.5 hrs on the counter at an average temp of 66F (75% increase). After final shaping, I let it counter proof in the banneton for 1.5 hrs at 68F, then popped it in the fridge for a CR of 14.5 hrs. Cold baked directly from the fridge with 4 small ice cubes placed in the DO (450F covered for 50 min, uncovered for 5 min). Crumb shots added. Crust is firm but not overpowering. Crumb is very soft, moist and tender. Flavor is surprisingly tangy. Undoubtedly the long BF, CR and added spelt played a part. Really love this one!

01F06C4A-53CE-4D96-843E-C47297237E13.jpeg

E801D202-DEB6-4AAF-854E-40AFAB2EC90B.jpeg

B9F9742E-A711-4840-9905-F41CCA008D99.jpeg

6FD06338-395F-48D9-8DBF-19081821CD1D.jpeg

C4F0A8A2-3F1A-4537-9DF8-1E40E6FBAA88.jpeg

Edited by PatrickT
Process and crumb shots added. (log)
  • Like 6

On 1/27/2023 at 9:51 AM, Ann_T said:

Didn't get a big oven spring, but it looks better than I expected it too.

That looks very good to me! I’m sure that spelt made for amazing flavor. Spelt and einkorn are my new favorite flours. 😃

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PatrickT said:

That looks very good to me! I’m sure that spelt made for amazing flavor. Spelt and einkorn are my new favorite flours. 😃

Considering the dough felt like a blog with little to no structure I was pleasantly surprised that it turned out as well as it did.

Even had a bit of an ear.  

1 hour ago, PatrickT said:

As always, your loaves exceed all expectations. 😍 What did you think of baking right out of the fridge? I swear the one loaf above that I did NOT do that with actually gave me a far more open crumb. Curious to hear how you think it compares to your normal process. 

I think I still prefer proofing on the counter and baking.  But I like having another option.  Especially if dough isn't ready to shape and bake at a good time, it can just go into the fridge and be baked when convenient. 

Have you ever left a shaped loaf proofing in the fridge for more than just overnight?  A day or two?  Not sure about the crumb.  I'll test a batch of bread this week on my days off, baking one the same day and proofing the other over

night in the fridge to see if there is a difference. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

I think I still prefer proofing on the counter and baking.  But I like having another option.  Especially if dough isn't ready to shape and bake at a good time, it can just go into the fridge and be baked when convenient.

That’s what I like about it too. I want to try more counter proofing and immediately baking, as I think I’m missing gauging when the final proof is really done. 

41 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

Have you ever left a shaped loaf proofing in the fridge for more than just overnight?  A day or two?

Yes - definitely. Has worked just fine for me. Anxious to see your results!

@lemniscate, love the size of that loaf. 

@PatrickT, that raisin loaf is a beauty.  Both Moe and Matt would be very happy if I would make more loaves like that.  

Today's bake.
575361949_SourdoughJanuary31stovernightrise.thumb.jpg.2f88cc50c7f11f6c57d273d5221d4b5b.jpg
I fed both my starters yesterday and then used the discard from both the white and the rye to spin off another starter for a friend.
There was still a little starter left in each of the two containers so I added water to the containers
gave them a shake and used the remnants of the starter in a 500g batch of dough with 1 gram of yeast.
Left the batch out on the counter overnight and baked this morning.
Baguettes were baked in the oven on a stone under a roasting pan lid.
One of the baguettes was too long for the cover so I cut off a small piece and shaped a "mini boule".
784260066_SourdoughJanuary31stovernightrise3.thumb.jpg.2a7a3b3e2f35000f2b776c152e13ce8c.jpg
Sliced for breakfast.
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 1

@Ann_T I have a dumb question possibly, but how do you think that dough would behave in a loaf pan?   While I believe the boule shapes are baking art incarnate, I use loaf pans for my breads.  I have been wanting to do a decent rye and have been adding white rye to my sourdough recipe in increments for r&d since rye can be a little unpredictable.   Any speculation or guidance?

8 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

Thanks @PatrickT.

670573219_RyeBreadbakedFeb1st20231.thumb.jpg.6d062e5fcda0e015053575ef0b502cae.jpg

Baked a rye loaf last night.

I need to make this often because we all like it.

1860118778_RyeBreadbakedFeb1st2023.thumb.jpg.ce960c5dda0da3da7d155a4b1df11d35.jpg

Sliced this morning for breakfast.

3 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

@Ann_T I have a dumb question possibly, but how do you think that dough would behave in a loaf pan?   While I believe the boule shapes are baking art incarnate, I use loaf pans for my breads.  I have been wanting to do a decent rye and have been adding white rye to my sourdough recipe in increments for r&d since rye can be a little unpredictable.   Any speculation or guidance?

@lemniscate, any bread can be baked in a loaf pan.  I would probably grease it though.

I used the autolyze stretch and fold method last night, but you can also use a mixer or even your food processor to mix this dough. 

I have a couple of different rye bread recipes that I use including a sourdough version.   Last night's was not sourdough and the recipe for it can be found here:

https://thibeaultstable.com/2020/02/14/light-rye-bread/

This is a sourdough version you could adjust the one above or try this one:  https://thibeaultstable.com/2019/02/19/sourdough-rye-bread/

If you can make a darker rye by adding cocoa powder to the mix. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Ann_T said:

This is a sourdough version you could adjust the one above or try this one:  https://thibeaultstable.com/2019/02/19/sourdough-rye-bread/

If you can make a darker rye by adding cocoa powder to the mix.

This looks really excellent - thanks for sharing this recipe! Definitely going to give that one a try. First, I'm going to give this one a whirl. I've never made rye porridge before and have certainly never tried adding it to bread, but it looks positively delicious! A baker friend of mine just made this and said it's the best tasting loaf he's ever baked. 

729453844_BaguettesandBouleovenightfermentationbakedFebruary3rd2023.thumb.jpg.b20708c9c02bc4f5e4a90a88caad33c4.jpg

Today's bake.  
I started a 1000g batch of dough last night with just 2g of yeast , 30g of salt and 630g of water (63% hydration).
Left it covered on the counter all night for a room temperature fermentation, from 8:30pm until 4:00 am this morning.
276604764_BaguettesandBouleovenightfermentationbakedFebruary3rd20233.thumb.jpg.d35abfeeb7e81f57b1b3ad8ce12c1c7d.jpg
Baked four baguettes and one boule.
723025793_BaguettesandBouleovenightfermentationbakedFebruary3rd20232.thumb.jpg.6fd85f58838188ac317c80aeca999e9c.jpg
Really happy with the crumb
1908417414_BaguettesandBouleovenightfermentationbakedFebruary3rd20234.thumb.jpg.0c1dc8a67ef9adbca21d4d1c2b86dbb3.jpg
and shine.
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

After years of bread baking with both sourdough and a small amount of dried yeast I am delighted to report that I managed to generate sourdough sufficiently active to make the bread rise without any added yeast at the start of January.  The results were far better than I had dared hope!  The bread certainly had a more distinctive sourdough flavour, more planning was required to keep the sourdough going and of course proofing took much longer.  I used 30% sourdough and 65% water, based on 500g flour.  More recently Bruno Cornerais advised French boulangers that 20% was usual for “levain liquide”, I wish that I had heard that advice before I started.  Still enjoying La Meilleur Boulangerie- as it works its way around France, easy enough to watch with the assistance of a VPN if not in France.  There are clips on YouTube, eg

There are only 2 of us to feed and so I can’t justify baking everyday, as a result I ended up disposing of significantl amounts of discard making the pure sourdough option both costly and wasteful of flour.  I have reverted to my previous method of less strong sourdough that sits in the fridge ticking over most of the time.  This works fine alongside 2 or 3 grammes of dried yeast per 500g flour.

I’m writing here again to ask if anyone has tried 100% hydration Spanish glass bread, as demonstrated in this YouTube video

I wonder if this is what @Ann_Treferred to a few posts back?

I’m thinking that bread like this might be great with butter and scrambled eggs, or butter and bacon.  So many cavities for the butter to fill!!!  I plan to have a go in the coming week, probably using half of the recipe described in the video.

Has anyone tasted such bread?  Tried to make such bread?  I will be grateful, as always, for any thoughts or advice.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DianaB said:

There are only 2 of us to feed and so I can’t justify baking everyday, as a result I ended up disposing of significantl amounts of discard making the pure sourdough option both costly and wasteful of flour.

I’ve completely given up on the daily (or even twice daily, for some) starter feeding regimen. Agreed that it is both costly, wasteful - and truly unnecessary. It’s just my wife and I now, as well, so I keep about 20g of carryover in my starter jar and then feed it according to whatever I need for the recipe I’m making (plus an additional 20g to keep in the jar for next time). I try to use it this way about once every 1-2 weeks and never have a problem. If my starter does seem sluggish after feeding, I just discard down to 20g and give it another feeding - but I can’t even remember the last time I had to do that. 

I first learned of this method from Bake with Jack - YouTube vid on this subject below. Works like a charm - and my starter is always very vigorous. 

• Like 2

On 1/29/2023 at 4:25 PM, PatrickT said:

If you are fond of Einkorn, please try Emmer flour. Even stronger nuttiness, but better baking properties …

• Thanks 1

Rye Porridge Sourdough by Simpel Sourdough. This was Central Milling Old World Bread Flour and Bob's Red Mill Spelt at 82% hydration, 3 sets of coil folds, and BF for 5 hrs at 69F (just shy of doubled in volume). CR was 12 hrs, then baked straight from the fridge. I scored this loaf right down the middle, which gave it a much less pronounced ear. Much easier to cut! This is an absolutely delicious recipe that is going on my short list to bake often. 

IMG_1597.jpeg

IMG_1603.jpeg

IMG_1609.jpeg

IMG_1611.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1