• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2016–)

DianaM

29 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Please, anyone, I would appreciate all the help I can get on this. I just went to their website and it is terrible. Very chaotic and hard to navigate. And their recipes look just about as appetizing as the dry dog food that I feed my cat.

That is the product that you want.  Apparently you just use about 1 tablespoon for every two cups of flour.   

image.png.18b5bdbf7b36be760a95aaaf50561a32.png
Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AAQuesada said:

Central Milling flour made with yudane

Gorgeous! Trying the Yudane/Tangzhong method is definitely on my list. Just got my first bag of CM Old World Bread Flour today. Anxious to try it!

• Like 1

Hi @Ann_T - quick question for you. When you remove your dough from a long, cold retard (example here), you typically allow it to rest on the counter for 8 - 8.5 hrs before shaping. During that time, do I recall you saying correctly that your dough approximately triples in volume? Just wanted to be sure I had noted that correctly. Thank you!

2 hours ago, PatrickT said:

Hi @Ann_T - quick question for you. When you remove your dough from a long, cold retard (example here), you typically allow it to rest on the counter for 8 - 8.5 hrs before shaping. During that time, do I recall you saying correctly that your dough approximately triples in volume? Just wanted to be sure I had noted that correctly. Thank you!

Yes,  I like it to be at least almost tripled.   Since I normally used very little yeast it does take upwards to 8 or more hours.   If you increase the yeast it will rise more quickly.

275288012_BaguettesDecember9thbakeddoughDecember5th2022.thumb.jpg.b72f153f3c1ef5099efa69b66bfb65b9.jpg

This is from one the doughs that I made on Monday and used the new containers.

2014706830_BaguettesDecember9thbakeddoughDecember5th20222.thumb.jpg.63a7e9a8f38558bf52c4ef985a3379ad.jpg

Baked yesterday.
Left in the oven for a few minutes longer for a darker crust.

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 1

7 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

Yes,  I like it to be at least almost tripled.   Since I normally used very little yeast it does take upwards to 8 or more hours.

Perfect - that’s what I thought. I appreciate your reply! 🙏 

FoodGeek's Artisan Sourdough Bread, 80% Central Milling Organic Old World Bread Flour and 20% Flourist Organic Whole Grain Rye. Made this for a neighbor who had outpatient surgery earlier in the week. I'll be giving him this today, along with a pot of home-made chicken noodle soup, to help promote the healing vibes. 😃

IMG_0865.jpeg

IMG_0866.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

@Ann_T Well - this should be interesting. 😃 I made a 500g batch of dough (80/20 BF/WW) for your recipe on Wednesday. Took it out early this morning so it could warm up and proof on the counter. It took about 10 hrs to increase a little over double in size. Pics of the dough below. I was originally going to bake it now, but my wife needed the oven, so I needed to pivot. I decided to shape it, pop it in a banneton, and stick it back in the fridge to bake in the morning. LOL Have NO idea if that is going to work or not - we'll see.

That means this dough will have undergone (1) an initial cold retard for 72 hrs; (2) a counter proof to double+ in volume for an additional 10 hrs; and (3) a final cold retard for what will turn out to be about another 13.5 hrs - all on 1 gram of yeast! Have NO idea if this will work or not, but I'll post my bake results in the morning.

IMG_0871.jpeg

IMG_0872.jpeg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, PatrickT said:

@Ann_T Well - this should be interesting. 😃 I made a 500g batch of dough (80/20 BF/WW) for your recipe on Wednesday. Took it out early this morning so it could warm up and proof on the counter. It took about 10 hrs to increase a little over double in size. Pics of the dough below. I was originally going to bake it now, but my wife needed the oven, so I needed to pivot. I decided to shape it, pop it in a banneton, and stick it back in the fridge to bake in the morning. LOL Have NO idea if that is going to work or not - we'll see.

That means this dough will have undergone (1) an initial cold retard for 72 hrs; (2) a counter proof to double+ in volume for an additional 10 hrs; and (3) a final cold retard for what will turn out to be about another 13.5 hrs - all on 1 gram of yeast! Have NO idea if this will work or not, but I'll post my bake results in the morning.

IMG_0871.jpeg

IMG_0872.jpeg

It ought to have developed a lot of flavor after all that time!

26 minutes ago, PatrickT said:

It may turn out to be the most flavorful pancake I've ever made! 🤣

Well it looks pretty active.  I know that many proof their loaves overnight in the fridge and then pop them into the oven right out of the fridge. 

I haven't done that, but I bet your loaf is going to turn out wonderful.   Just wait and see. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, AAQuesada said:

How did you like the Central Milling? It's similar to a T80 like what Poilane uses is my understanding 

Absolutely love it - the flavor, texture, and color are all just wonderful. Even the way the dough feels as you’re working with it is amazing. Highly recommend it!

• Delicious 1

@Ann_T This just might be the finest loaf I've ever baked. 😂 Initial cold retard for 72 hrs, counter proof for another 10 hrs, and a final cold retard for another 14.5 hrs, then baked right out of the fridge - all on 1 gram of yeast. This is Central Milling Organic Old World Bread Flour (80%) and King Arthur Organic Whole Wheat Flour (20%). The dough was VERY stiff at 63% during the stretches and folds, so if I were to use this blend of flours again, I think I'd up the hydration to something in the 65-70% range. Anxious to see the crumb and taste it. I'll try a sourdough version of this next - maybe exactly the same process!

@Cyberider So much for the pancake! 🙃

IMG_0875.jpeg

IMG_0876.jpeg

IMG_0877.jpeg

IMG_0878.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

21 minutes ago, PatrickT said:

@Ann_T This just might be the finest loaf I've ever baked. 😂 Initial cold retard for 72 hrs, counter proof for another 10 hrs, and a final cold retard for another 14.5 hrs, then baked right out of the fridge - all on 1 gram of yeast. This is Central Milling Organic Old World Bread Flour (80%) and King Arthur Organic Whole Wheat Flour (20%). The dough was VERY stiff at 63% during the stretches and folds, so if I were to use this blend of flours again, I think I'd up the hydration to something in the 65-70% range. Anxious to see the crumb and taste it. I'll try a sourdough version of this next - maybe exactly the same process!

@Cyberider So much for the pancake! 🙃

IMG_0875.jpeg

IMG_0876.jpeg

IMG_0877.jpeg

IMG_0878.jpeg

@PatrickT, I've been up since 3:00 and have been watching all morning for this post.

I keep telling everyone that bread dough is very forgiving.  Difficult to screw up.  But not always easy to

end up with the perfect loaf.   But you did.  And it  is a beauty.  Look at that ear. 

Can't wait to see the crumb.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ann_T said:

I've been up since 3:00 and have been watching all morning for this post.

I keep telling everyone that bread dough is very forgiving.  Difficult to screw up.  But not always easy to

end up with the perfect loaf.   But you did.  And it  is a beauty.  Look at that ear. 

Can't wait to see the crumb.

Thank God I didn't disappoint your early morning waiting! LOL To be honest, I am simply blown away that I actually baked that. Your process is just so incredibly simple! And what I love about it most is that you can essentially have bread ready to bake any time you want it. I'm going to try to maintain this, like you do, for a week or two and see if I can continually reproduce these results.

I should also tell you that I shared your process with a fellow bread baker friend in Thailand. He and I have been commiserating with each other over our less than impressive bakes. We decided to both try your process together. He just baked his loaves yesterday (72 hour cold fermentation, 1 gram of yeast) - here are the pics. His words: "Could well be my best loaf ever." 😃 Thank you so much for all of the mentoring and inspiration you provide to all of us here. You're making disciples! 😂

IMG_2229.jpg

IMG_2230.jpg

IMG_2231.jpg

• Like 10

@Ann_T My crumb is very tight, but my dough was very stiff and had that second, unplanned cold ferment. I think if I tweaked the hydration a bit for this blend and baked it straight from the final proof, it would be better. I’ll try that next time. That said, it is beyond delicious. The flavor of this loaf - with the 20% WW and long cold fermentation - is very reminiscent of a mild sourdough. I could eat this every day and not tire of it. 

AFC978B3-CD87-4845-ADFE-D5FC2A6CC5F9.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

5 hours ago, PatrickT said:

I should also tell you that I shared your process with a fellow bread baker friend in Thailand. He and I have been commiserating with each other over our less than impressive bakes. We decided to both try your process together. He just baked his loaves yesterday (72 hour cold fermentation, 1 gram of yeast) - here are the pics. His words: "Could well be my best loaf ever." 😃 Thank you so much for all of the mentoring and inspiration you provide to all of us here. You're making disciples! 😂

Thanks for the feedback @PatrickT.  And for sharing with your friend in Thailand.    I thought his "rabbit" was great, but your loaf has the best "rabbit" I've ever seen.