• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2016–)

DianaM

2 hours ago, PatrickT said:

@Ann_T Quick question for you. When Matt makes his pizza crusts, how much of your dough does he use - and roughly what size of a pizza does that yield? Would like to try this sometime this week or weekend. TIA! 😃

@PatrickT This is the 3rd batch of sourdough that had been in the fridge since Friday night. 

Taken out yesterday early morning and it was ready to use around 5:00 PM.  

Divided it in half and Matt made a pizza and I shaped a loaf and placed it in an oval Banneton.  Because it had been sitting out all day, I probably should have baked the loaf  last night, 

but decided to test it by putting in the fridge overnight.  I pulled it out and left it on the counter for about an hour and then just scored and baked.   And hoped for the best. 

1719035617_SourdoughSeptember21st2022.thumb.jpg.118eecc7a72fe86f4375df73de71ed1a.jpg

Was pleasantly surprised that it turned out as well as it did.   Gifted it to a friend of Matt's. 

Matt bakes his pizzas in the oven at 550°F on a preheated stone.  This pizza measured 16" and used 500G of dough.

1430510000_GreekPotatoPizzaSeptember20th2022.thumb.jpg.07b5c896cf466f49dc2a63cdf7890e5f.jpg

Greek Potato pizza with the addition of four cheeses. 

He tends to use between 400g and 500g for his pizzas. 

I use less when baking pizza in the Ooni because I like the pizzas to be less than 13". Around 300g

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

2 hours ago, Ann_T said:

He tends to use between 400g and 500g for his pizzas. 

I use less when baking pizza in the Ooni because I like the pizzas to be less than 13". Around 300g

Thank you very much, Ann! That loaf - and that pizza! - look amazing.

Bernard Clayton's Royal Hibernian Brown Loaf - an Irish soda bread. So different but absolutely delicious! Just mix the ingredients together, form the dough into a ball, score an X on top, and bake it on a baking sheet for 45 minutes. Couldn't be simpler - even for me! 😃

IMG_0019.jpeg

IMG_0020.jpeg

• Like 2

Started the dough before leaving for work this morning.
Left out on the counter for a room temperature fermentation.
Dough was ready to go when I got home from work around 5:30 PM.
Same day dough, 600g flour with 1g of yeast and 50g of sourdough discard with 375g water (63%).
160107484_SourdoughyeastBouleSeptember23rd20221.thumb.jpg.3942f261f26a74c71cce553992c04356.jpg

One large boule baked on the stone covered for the first 20 minutes with a roasting pan, uncovered and finished baking for another 10 minutes.
Edited to add:
592282165_SourdoughyeastBouleslicedSeptember24th20223.thumb.jpg.42107613f78e94998271cc4625dd1d7d.jpg
Sliced this morning.
1805375731_SourdoughyeastBouleslicedSeptember24th20221.thumb.jpg.23132dfc6a24b0808d1c58e5b592a834.jpg
Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 1

I came in here expecting some beautiful challahs today for Rosh Hashanah!

I didn't make any this year because I'm on my own, and was afraid I'd just wind up turning it into French Toast and eating that all week.

🥴 

1 minute ago, CookBot said:

I came in here expecting some beautiful challahs today for Rosh Hashanah!

Attempting a challah is definitely on my list - but I haven't gotten to it, yet. I've seen a couple of beauties this past week on Reddit, though.

1 hour ago, PatrickT said:

Attempting a challah is definitely on my list - but I haven't gotten to it, yet. I've seen a couple of beauties this past week on Reddit, though.

The process is not at all daunting.  The braiding is for sure the hardest part, but is just one of those things you have to practice a bit.  I started with shoelaces and followed printed diagrams.  Still have to look at a diagram, cause it's not the kind of thing I do often enough to  I commit it to memory.

• Like 1

Bread09262022.jpg

Tonight's kilogram boule...

Continuing my experiments with increased mixing times, this loaf was 20 minutes on low followed by 8 minutes at 3:00.  Hour and 15 minute proof.  Modernist Bread 25 minute bake.

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Bread09262022.jpg

Tonight's kilogram boule...

Continuing my experiments with increased mixing times, this loaf was 20 minutes on low followed by 8 minutes at 3:00.  Hour and 15 minute proof.  Modernist Bread 25 minute bake.

Crumb was even better.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Made a couple of loaves of my go-to sourdough recipe (80/15/5 of BF, WW and RF) using a new process. This is 70% hydration and 20% inoculation. Autolysis for 1 hr, 3 sets of stretches and folds with a 30-minute rest after each set, bulk fermentation limited to a 25% increase, then shaped, placed in bannetons and into the fridge. This one was after 24 hrs., baked in the DO at 450F for 20 min covered, 20 min uncovered. I'll do the second loaf tomorrow afternoon to see what 48 hrs looks like. Won't be able to post a crumb shot of this loaf, as it's a gift for some friends - but will post my full results tomorrow with the 48-hr loaf.

IMG_0116.jpeg

IMG_0117.jpeg

• Like 5

Today's loaf and crumb, after 48 hrs in the fridge. Not quite as much oven spring as yesterday's bake. Might be a tad over-proofed - or possibly the result of the new Lodge Combo Cooker I used for this loaf. Interestingly, it did seem to produce a bit more color. My normal DO is just a large Le Creuset pot, which is much deeper than the Lodge. Perhaps the shallower top reflects more heat back to the loaf while it's covered? Either way, the crumb looks good to me and it was absolutely delicious! Had it with stuffed red and yellow sweet peppers from our garden allotment. 😋

IMG_0122.jpeg

IMG_0123.jpeg

IMG_0124.jpeg

IMG_0125.jpeg

Edited by PatrickT (log)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

@PatrickT, two beautiful bakes.  I'd say you are becoming a master.

I started two batches of dough on Tuesday, and put them both in the fridge, immediately after the last stretch and fold.
Both were 600g of flour and one had just 1g of yeast and the second one had 50g of sourdough discard and 1g of yeast.

That batch also had 50g of whole wheat. Took the yeast only batch  out very early Wednesday morning
1613310125_BatardsDoughSeptember27thbakedSeptember28th2022.thumb.jpg.643abac3138e82bd17bbaf2e73fd8241.jpg
and baked two batards yesterday
and took the sourdough version out last night and left it on the counter  until 3:00 Am this morning.
1161935667_SourdoughBouleandBaguettesSeptember29th2022.thumb.jpg.4af9f99afd91fbfe59da3b1671fda201.jpg
Baked two baguettes and one small boule.
  • Like 4
  • Delicious 2

7 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

two beautiful bakes.  I'd say you are becoming a master.

That is quite the compliment, coming from you and your always-perfect bakes! Thank you so much!

These loaves of yours are simply gorgeous. Question for you about your scoring techniques - particularly those little leaf shapes. Do you just make two narrow, curved lines facing each other? I'm assuming they just expand along those lines when the loaf is baked, correct?

Thanks for always being an inspiration to my bread making! 😃

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, PatrickT said:

These loaves of yours are simply gorgeous. Question for you about your scoring techniques - particularly those little leaf shapes. Do you just make two narrow, curved lines facing each other? I'm assuming they just expand along those lines when the loaf is baked, correct?

@PatrickT, there are a number of sites and youtube videos on various scoring techniques.   I like this one.

https://breadjourney.com/2020/04/14/decorative-bread-scoring-the-basic-course/

Recipe request! My wife and I are headed to the farmer’s market this afternoon and plan to pick up some apples from one of our local growers. 

Which made me wonder… does anyone have a favorite recipe for a sourdough (or yeasted) bread with apples (and any other yummy ingredients)?

• Like 1

@PatrickT what is an apple sourdough?

I fed both my starters yesterday morning and started a small 250g batch with 40g of the discard and a pinch of yeast. 63% hydration, 7g of salt.
Just big enough for a small boule.
Left it out on the counter while I was at work and shaped and baked it last night.
Sliced this morning for breakfast.
864250675_BouleSamedaybake40gofstarterpinchofyeastOctober2nd2022.thumb.jpg.1a3c03c8be7dde196ec1450a5bafb37e.jpg

Lots of shine on the crumb. Not bad for a same day bake.
  • Like 4

@Ann_T Gorgeous bake as always. 😃

28 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

what is an apple sourdough?

I'm working on a couple of things. Firstly, FoodGeek just posted a recipe and video on making a regular sourdough loaf using an apple starter. That process itself sounds fascinating and I'm definitely going to try it. Secondly, I found a very intriguing apple sourdough recipe using Masala Chai - and I intend to modify that a bit, using the apple starter from FoodGeek. I also have some canned tart cherries on hand - leftovers from my wife's last cherry pie. I'm thinking I might add some of those in, as well. Just trying to come up with something new and interesting for the fall. We bought a lovely bag of Cortland apples at the farmer's market over the weekend, so the pressure is on! 😂

3 hours ago, PatrickT said:

I'm working on a couple of things. Firstly, FoodGeek just posted a recipe and video on making a regular sourdough loaf using an apple starter.

Oh, yes, I've seen other starters on some of the sourdough FB groups  that use grapes and other fruits.   It wasn't something that interested me.  I have enough trouble remembering to feed the two that I maintain now.   Will look forward though to seeing what loaves you come up with.  

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Thanks 1

For those of you who are sourdough bakers, give this video a look. It's admittedly a bit lengthy, but well worth the view. His "Bulk-o-Matic" assessment tool is fantastic (and something I'll definitely pay more attention to in the future), but his final comments and recommendations are particularly poignant. Fascinating experiment!

• Thanks 1

@PatrickT, thank you for sharing the buttermilk recipe.  Your bread turned out great.  Nice crumb.

Tuesday morning I used the new food processor to do the preliminary mix for two 600g batches.  Each with 1 g of yeast, 15g of salt and 375g of water for a 63% hydration.

I still do the autolyze, stretch and folds over the next hour or so before putting them in the fridge.

Took one out last night and left it on the counter from 8:00 PM until 4:00 AM this morning.   The mornings are a little cooler so slow

to rise and proof. 

1785462835_BaguettesDoughinthefridgesinceTuesdaymorningBakedThursdayMorningOctober13th.thumb.jpg.214f52936be25d4ea8f427a4b621a1d2.jpg

Shaped and baked.  Started in the CSO on the bread setting and transferred after 10 minutes to finish in the big oven.

1588297318_BaguettesDoughinthefridgesinceTuesdaymorningBakedThursdayMorningOctober13th2.thumb.jpg.c64e1fca826f80e0e2c28fca56190303.jpg

I have roast beef leftover from last night's dinner so Moe is going to have a roast beef sandwich on baguette for breakfast. 

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 3
  • Delicious 2