• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2016–)

DianaM

2 hours ago, Dave R said:

Always glad to share. I may alter this later but right now I'm pretty happy with it. The yeasted starter actually has less than 1/16 t of yeast but I use a template I've made and haven't changed it yet. Just a very small amount sprinkled over the water.

If you scroll up this page on some of my responses to @PatrickTyou'll get an idea of my process. I only do two stretch and folds for the rye bread, since there's less gluten there to develop. I'll be happy to answer any questions and feel free to point out any errors I've made. I post this as a picture. I'm not sure I can post a spread sheet.

Adjust water  temperature so dough after mixing is 76°. Usually start at 69°-70°.

Mix 3 min using Bosch mixer or 9 min in bread machine.  Ferment covered on board for about 1 hour, turning (stretch and fols) at 30 minutes.  Ferment in bulk in ‘fridge, folding to degas at 4 or 5 hours.  Leave 12 to 18 hours.  If baking that day, ferment about 90 minutes, folding once half way thru,, before scaling and shaping. 

Take out of fridge and allow to come to room temp for about 1 or 2 hours, no need to pre shape.

Pre-heat the oven to 425°. 

Flatten dough, shape. Place in pan and cover with plastic wrap, allowing to rise to about 1/2" of top then remove the plastic, cover with lid and let sit for another 10 minutes. Total proof time is about 30 to 40 minutes. 

When the loaf is  proofed, bake 25 minutes then remove lid and bake another 10 minutes. Take out of pan and bake to a total of 55 minutes. Internal temp should be about 194

Remove from the oven and cool on a rack.  
Note: I'm at 7,800 feet above sea level, your final dough temp may vary.

Dave

PulRye.png

Thanks, Dave R!  Just to confirm, that is the 4" X 9" pullman pan?

On 6/23/2022 at 7:38 AM, PatrickT said:

Anyway... I consequently revisited the recipe I tried for my very first bread bake back in December of last year - a Parmesan Garlic Herb loaf. The rather oddly shaped result owes itself to the Romertopf I baked it in, but the taste is just wonderful. Comparing this loaf to the pictures I took of my first effort, I was pleased to see that I was able to produce a much better rise and darker crust color this time around.

WOW PatrickT.  Your Parmesan Garlic Herb loaf looks amazing and and I love the shape.

Baked two loaves late last week, both proofed in lined oval Banneton baskets.
Froze both.
1737243020_BreadSlicedJune28th20221.thumb.jpg.0fba0ac7ce2d3cfcb7280da60d188cae.jpg
Took one out of the freezer this morning and sliced for breakfast.
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Ann_T said:

WOW PatrickT.  Your Parmesan Garlic Herb loaf looks amazing and and I love the shape.

Thank you @Ann_T! It was really delicious. Will definitely bake that again.

2 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

Baked two loaves late last week, both proofed in lined oval Banneton baskets.

That glistening crumb on all of your loaves is truly next level. Fantastique! 😃

@PatrickT If you like that taste and texture profile, have you considered Nancy Silverton's chocolate cherry bread? Might be fun. https://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/17293/nancy039s-silverton039s-chocolate-sour-cherry-bread#:~:text=Silverton's version also uses commercial,eating%2C but tastier results IMO.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, heidih said:

If you like that taste and texture profile, have you considered Nancy Silverton's chocolate cherry bread? Might be fun. 

Our (adult) kids will love that! Thank you for suggesting. 👍

On 6/28/2022 at 9:26 AM, PatrickT said:

That glistening crumb on all of your loaves is truly next level. Fantastique! 😃

Thanks @PatrickT.

591659551_Baguettes2nddaybakeJune29th20222.thumb.jpg.09b2d2abd460ab048766fb232b184172.jpg

Started a batch of dough yesterday morning and gave it a 6 hour fermentation  before putting it in the fridge until 

early afternoon.   Baked tonight.

341539038_Baguettes2nddaybakeJune29th20221.thumb.jpg.62138a99c9f04fc2f28ebe2b94957bea.jpg

Two of the loaves were shaped and  proofed in Banneton lined baskets. 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

@Ann_T Not even in the same galaxy as your epic specimens, but I'm reasonably happy with these baguettes, baked today for our neighbor using your recipe and process. My only deviation was trying a baguette pan for the final proof and bake instead of the stone - and I'm pleased with the results. Next time, I'm going to try working in a refrigeration step prior to baking to help firm up the dough to make scoring a little easier.

Thank you again for sharing this with us! 🙏

IMG_1374.jpeg

IMG_1375.jpeg

IMG_1377.jpeg

IMG_1378.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

I recently acquired a first edition of Bernard Clayton's The Complete Book of Breads and have really enjoyed browsing the many recipes he shared for all sorts of breads. His anecdotes about the recipes are fascinating and occasionally quite humorous. Being a lover of old cookbooks and recipes, I thought it would be fun to try some of them out. Here's my first attempt - his recipe for Heidelberg Rye, which calls for a 12-24 hr cold fermentation. This was really fun to make - so incredibly simple, with a very unique flavor and texture. Excellent as both bread and toast, with a hearty rye flavor. The cocoa and molasses give it a lovely sweet note, with barely a hint of chocolate. My conversions for it appear below, in case anyone would like to give it a try.

574190181_ScreenShot2022-07-14at9_35_52AM.png.9894f0dea3e3287c3341e551fd31d404.png

67944906495__54108657-C35A-46E0-AEFF-51564E743E79.jpeg

IMG_1421.jpeg

IMG_1425.jpeg

IMG_1426.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 1

Pumpkin cinnamon sourdough with raisins, courtesy of Maurizio at The Perfect Loaf. I substituted pumpkin pie spice for the cinnamon, as well as honey for the sugar in the dough. The aroma of this loaf baking was only surpassed by its subtle and lovely flavors. Very moist and tender crumb. This one is going to become a family favorite for sure!

IMG_1443.jpeg

IMG_1444.jpeg

IMG_1445.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

First time I've baked a full kg boule in many months...

Bread07182022.jpg

Humorously I'd forgotten the proportions and I ended up with a batter, not a dough.  Thankfully a mai tai and liter of methode rotus cover many sins.

• Like 6
  • Delicious 3
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Methode rotus does more than cover sins.  I am ashamed to have posted such a blurry loaf last night.  Now, in the cold light of afternoon, I believe I have the offending photograph replaced.

And I'm about to go cut another slice or two to befriend an omelet.

@PatrickT, Your rye loaves look amazing. 

@JoNorvelleWalker That boule is a thing of beauty.  I don't think I have ever baked one that big.

I hadn't fed my starters again since towards the end of May. Fed them both Tuesday morning and both doubled quicker than expected.
One is always fed with organic rye and my spinoff is fed with the same white flour I use in my breads.
Fed the white one again before bed, and used 50g of discard in a 500g batch of dough at 63%.
Made two other 500g batches same hydration, but each with 1g of yeast. All three batches went into the fridge Tuesday night.
Matt took the sourdough batch out on Thursday, divided it in half and put one back in the fridge and used the other to make one of his pizzas for dinner.
He used the other half yesterday for two sourdough baguettes.
No pics of the sourdough batch. But the crumb on it was amazing. Lots of holes and shine.
1981435823_BaguettesdoughJuly19thbakedJuly23th20221.thumb.jpg.ac3971cbdb9755c7cfda6512c81b8a03.jpg
I took one of the remaining batches out of the fridge last night at 9:00 and left it on the counter.
At 4:00 AM I preshaped four baguettes and final shaped and left to proof at 4:30.
650732534_BaguettesdoughJuly19thbakedJuly23th20223.thumb.jpg.90e28dea02453c8714ec65b0538cbe2e.jpg
Sliced one while still warm.
581455329_BaguettesdoughJuly19thbakedJuly23th20224.thumb.jpg.65b14e8a1d893528a7a90fbd66b05128.jpg
The last batch will be used to make pizza for dinner tonight.

• Like 5
  • Delicious 2

Baked 4 loaves for a visit to see our daughter - 2 for her by request (cranberry walnut sourdough; cheddar rosemary sourdough with roasted garlic), 1 for us (honey lemon whole wheat bread, from Clayton's book) and a second loaf of the honey lemon whole wheat to share with our neighbor who volunteered to water our flowers in our absence. Our daughter loved her loaves. Our neighbor ate half of theirs before we even left. 😂 We used our loaf to make chicken salad sandwiches for our picnic lunches. Delightful flavor! Will definitely bake that one again.

IMG_1472.jpeg

IMG_1474.jpeg

IMG_1456.jpeg

IMG_1510.jpeg

IMG_1511.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

@Ann_T Once again used your baguette dough recipe to make a 250g mini loaf today to enjoy with our dinner. To mix things up this time, I added 1/4 tsp each of basil, thyme and dried minced garlic. Absolutely delicious and so easy! Very versatile, as you’ve often said. 😃

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2022 at 4:26 PM, PatrickT said:

@Ann_T Once again used your baguette dough recipe to make a 250g mini loaf today to enjoy with our dinner. To mix things up this time, I added 1/4 tsp each of basil, thyme and dried minced garlic. Absolutely delicious and so easy! Very versatile, as you’ve often said. 😃

I'm glad that you like that recipe. It is very versatile.

Been too hot the last week or two to bake.  Thankfully the weather cooled off enough to bake before we ran out of the baguettes in the freezer. 

I made two 500g batches  of dough Thursday morning before leaving for work and they both went into the fridge after the last stretch and fold.  Both were 63% hydration.

Matt took one of them out around noon on Friday so the dough would be ready to use by the time I got home from work.  Enough for two pizzas.  (posted on the Dinner thread).

I took the second batch out before going to bed and left it on the counter until 4:00 AM this morning. 

It was ready to go. 

1060321045_Baguettes2dayfermentationbakedAugust6th2022.thumb.jpg.b613b9540b34f99880bb6cdc2f236947.jpg

Shaped three baguettes.   Started each one in the CSO on the Bread Steam setting and transferred to the big oven to

finish.

I'm really liking the 63% hydration. 

274038550_Baguettes2dayfermentationbakedAugust6th20222.thumb.jpg.7dc7429863a6a8d943768ec91267659b.jpg

Perfect for pizza dough and

1674799855_Baguettes2dayfermentationbakedAugust6th20223.thumb.jpg.122d90c8cf366962b63d662928950065.jpg

the baguette crumb is nice and airy with lots of shine. 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

51 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

I'm glad that you like that recipe. It is very versatile.

Been too hot the last week or two to bake.  Thankfully the weather cooled off enough to bake before we ran out of the baguettes in the freezer. 

I made two 500g batches  of dough Thursday morning before leaving for work and they both went into the fridge after the last stretch and fold.  Both were 63% hydration.

Matt took one of them out around noon on Friday so the dough would be ready to use by the time I got home from work.  Enough for two pizzas.  (posted on the Dinner thread).

I took the second batch out before going to bed and left it on the counter until 4:00 AM this morning. 

It was ready to go. 

1060321045_Baguettes2dayfermentationbakedAugust6th2022.thumb.jpg.b613b9540b34f99880bb6cdc2f236947.jpg

Shaped three baguettes.   Started each one in the CSO on the Bread Steam setting and transferred to the big oven to

finish.

I'm really liking the 63% hydration. 

274038550_Baguettes2dayfermentationbakedAugust6th20222.thumb.jpg.7dc7429863a6a8d943768ec91267659b.jpg

Perfect for pizza dough and

1674799855_Baguettes2dayfermentationbakedAugust6th20223.thumb.jpg.122d90c8cf366962b63d662928950065.jpg

the baguette crumb is nice and airy with lots of shine. 

Beautiful!  My last bread went stale before I finished it.  It's awfully hot in New Jersey but maybe I will bake this weekend.  I sometimes get that shine however I can't count on it.  I wish it was reproduceable for me.