• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2016–)

DianaM

17 minutes ago, PatrickT said:

IMG_1098.jpeg

Nice crumb and crust @PatrickT.  $3.99. What a find.

If you like this bread, just make a larger boule to bake in the Romertopf.  

If you are interested, here is a video on scoring.  There are a number of videos, but I've always thought that this one explained scoring well.

4 hours ago, PatrickT said:

OH MY. 😍 What's the approximate gram weight of the dough for each of those?

@PatrickT, I never measure.  I just eyeball and divide even for the baguettes, depending on how many I want.

If I had to guess and I would say my guess would be pretty accurate because it would have been a 1000g flour batch at 72 to 75 % hydration, and there are 12 buns, that they are

around 145 to 150 each.  They are bigger than say a kaiser or burger bun.  So if you would prefer smaller buns, just divide the dough into  16 pieces. 

What is nice about this dough is you could make a baguette or a boule and still make some buns as well. 

• Like 2

Yesterday's rye bake. Just sliced this AM.

@ElsieD Mine is not really a light rye, but I'll post anyway in case you're interested.

Starters are the term I use for a poolish pre-ferment.  They can be made early in the morning and be ready for use about 9 or 10 hours later, depending on room temperature. I often mix it during the day, refrigerate it overnight and take it out first thing in the morning. It's usually ready to use after lunch

Note: I am baking at 7,800 ft. above sea level. Time an temp may need adjustment for your area. 

Use mixer on low speed for 3 min. Add salt and caraway seeds for the last minute of mixing. Ferment covered on board, turning (stretch and fold) once every 30 minutes for 60 minutes.  Ferment in bulk in ‘fridge, turning twice at 2 or 3 hour intervals.  Leave 12 to 14 hours.  

Take out of fridge, cover and allow to come to room temp for one to two hours, depending on room temp.  

Form into two loaves for pan and let rise 30 to 45 minutes depending on room temp.  Have oven at 450° F .  

Spray loaves with water. Score loaves and place in oven. Bake for 20 minutes then lower oven temperature to 425° F, At 50 minutes remove the loaves from the pans and bake on the oven rack for another 10 minutes. At that point remove from the oven. Internal temperature should be about 194˚ F. 

Dave

Rye1 5.26.22.JPG

Rye.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

43 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Does anyone have a recipe for light rye bread?  Or point me to one on-line that you have used?  I have sourdough starter if needed.  Thanks!

@ElsieD, I would call this recipe a Lighter Rye.  

https://thibeaultstable.com/2020/02/14/light-rye-bread/

• Like 1

Hadn't baked a rye loaf recently but between @Dave R and @ElsieD's posts as a reminder,  I decided yesterday morning to make the

dough.  I reduced the yeast from 5 to 3gs so that I could leave it out on the counter for a slower room temperature fermentation while I was at work.

I thought I had poppy seeds in the freezer, but apparently not. Went with just an egg wash. 

291431254_LightRyeBreadMay27thslicedMay28th2022.thumb.jpg.7654c21670de528a10a670465e58b0a3.jpg

Baked last night and

101969781_LightRyeBreadMay27thslicedMay28th20221.thumb.jpg.3c590aace26aa6a6b168d6585f7d5bfa.jpg

sliced this morning.

It is Moe's birthday today and I had planned to make Osso Bucco but he decided that he would prefer a bottle of champagne and smoked salmon on rye.

So that is what we will be having. 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

Made some American Sandwich Bread from Cooks Illustrated yesterday. 

1-IMG_9492.jpg.28eb1d46f76ed1d34168eea5e3330c5c.jpg

1-IMG_9494.jpg.ad60b90b8f53282baa7475341bcf37a7.jpg

I tend to alternate between this and Shelby's White Bread Loaves for a regular loaf of white sandwich bread.   The CI recipe makes one 9x5-inch loaf and @Shelby's recipe makes two 8.5x4.5-inch loaves.  Shelby's loaves are more foolproof, I think, but the CI loaf is slightly tastier.  Both are extremely good.  

One odd thing with the CI loaf is the lines across the top and down the sides.  They always occur with this recipe.  It is a very soft dough - I always end up finishing by hand rather than in the KA so I don't have to add too much flour.  I use a bit more flour than they recommend as it is.  The recipe calls for AP flour, but I used King Arthur bread flour this time and it was fine.  

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

9 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

Has anyone here bought or considered buying the Challenger Bread  Baker?

https://challengerbreadware.com/product/challenger-bread-pan/

I really want this, but not sure that I really NEED it.  

Wow! Don’t drop it on your toes! This thing weighs 22 pounds/10 kg. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

11 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

Wirecutter reviewed it very positively though they balked at the price.

The $99 Camp Chef looks like an intriguing alternative — it doesn't have the nice helper handles, but for a 60% discount it might be fine. Plus I suspect I could find a non-bread use for a 12 quart cast iron pan (and large oval skillet) at some point. (Edited to add — though you might need to factor in the cost of a pair of welding gloves to get the lid off.)

Edited by dtremit (log)

@Ann_THow are you baking most of your bread now? I had thought you were using a CSO and I gather the Challenger is more for a conventional oven using a cover for part of the bake.

Edit: I remember someone at The Fresh Loaf using this glass baker as an alternative.

Dave

Edited by Dave R (log)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ann_T said:

About half the weight and half the price of an anova.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou