• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2016–)

DianaM

22 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Put (topless) Rubbermaid container in vacuum chamber.  Push button.

Ah, so it stays in the machine! I was trying to figure out how on earth you'd snap the lid on.

I've kind of lost track of my bread pictures, I take pics of some, others I just send to a fellow baker on whatsapp, but I think these are ones I havent shared here.

1. Sesame Loaf and regular sourdough loaf. The wifey wanted a loaf baked in a bread pan, it came out better then I thought.

2. Bagels! Had a ton of fun making these, I made then on like 5 different occasions, I love making these and stuffing them in the freezer!

3. Fig and Aniseed

4. Jalapeno Cheddar

5. Millet Porridge

6. Oat Porridge

7. First attempt at pretzels. I didnt know at the time about the lye solution, so I was troubleshooting why they are just so pale.

8. Second attempt at pretzels. I got some food grade lye, that color is just amazing, but I really dont like the process, I'm kind of debating on if I should just get rid of the stuff or not.

Thats the latest! 🙂

2 Loaves.jpeg

Bagel.jpg

Fig and Aniseed.jpg

Jalapeno Cheffar.jpg

Millet.jpg

Oat.jpg

Pretzel 1.jpeg

Pretzel 2.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4

That's some talented shit right there, @minas6907!

I decided, in the midst of my playing with the focaccia and pizza, to try a boule or two - it's cool enough to really crank the oven for at least a month or two, so why not?

This is from Flour, Water, Salt, Yeast - Ken Forkish's tome...White Bread with Poolish

IMG_5984.thumb.jpeg.6c9138ffbe22a864d1f49d7d51cbd914.jpeg

Forkish claims no need to slash, but the first time I tried it, nothing opened up. So this time I did a couple slashes, and it looks like everything opened up!

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

@minas6907 Amazing bake.   Your bagels are perfect.

@JoNorvelleWalker, love the blistering on your loaves.  

@weinoo, Beautiful rustic boules.  

Since I'm still using the mixer to do the work, I decided to make a couple of loaves of white bread.   Adapted my regular recipe and really happy with the

results. 

2029803376_WhiteBreadJanuary21st2022.thumb.jpg.3bf1760ec3acb59048e7b03ba3e0c53c.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

Today's breads...it's nice and cold here!

IMG_6096.thumb.jpeg.432c7170c5c1ee0e16e1caed58b431ca.jpeg

Same dough for the boule and the focaccia. Overnight poolish, 10% whole wheat. 77% hydration.

BUT...I started by proofing the boule in a room-temp Dutch oven, into a room-temp oven to bake, after it had proofed for 40 minutes.  Baked about 25 minutes after oven reached temp, lid removed and baked for another 20. 

• Like 8

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I found a great deal (to me) on White Lily flour thru Amazon Fresh and bought a lot.

I decided to try out biscuits with it using the ATK Absolute Easiest Biscuits Ever technique.  I had whipping cream, I had to make baking powder using cream of tartar and baking soda.  I also can't leave well enough alone and added some pulverized leftovers of hard cheeses, freeze dried chives and black pepper to them.  It was easy, drop biscuit dough with a formed biscuit look.  I think it needs a touch more salt though for my taste.   They are very tender but hold together when applying butter, thank goodness.

Someone regifted me a quick beer bread pre-pack for Christmas.  "Sourdough" flavor, you add the beer (and shredded cheese).  I add half a good beer (I drank the other half) and some club soda to make up the 12 oz.   I used all my cheese in the biscuits, so I add a bit of yogurt instead.  And threw some everything bagel seasoning in the batter.   I am skeptical of this type of product.  I tried it, no discernible sourdough taste, good beer taste, but the everything seasoning sure shines though.  I have no history with quick breads, but with that seasoning mix, I'm in. 

Screen Shot 2022-02-06 at 11.47.53 AM.png

Edited by lemniscate
many small mistakes corrected. (log)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

I went back to check and looks like I haven't fed my starter since the beginning of September. Two feeds and it bounced right back.
I used 60g of discard from the first feed and made a 1000g batch of dough along with 1 gram of yeast at 80% hydration.
281424935_CiabattaFebruary10th2022.thumb.jpg.3a36680f7dc593bbec23fd6aa36cb76a.jpg
24 hour cold fermentation and then left out of the counter to warm up for three hours before shaping into 5 baguettes and one ciabatta.
Sliced the Ciabatta while still slightly warm because Moe wanted a few slices with just butter.
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 4

4 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Made a couple loaves of @Shelby's bread day before yesterday.  So easy and good and the fragrance brought everyone into the kitchen!  After the second rise:

IMG_8311.jpg.7124878d55b03cdbb5d567dcbb530ef8.jpg

Baked:

IMG_8312.jpg.7aa85f2f68d9f242ae012bec445d713e.jpg

Crumb:

IMG_8316.jpg.03f472e0f37999f1d94d9dbcd5adfadf.jpg

Can you remiind me where that recipe/method was recently poisted. It is like the "Italian" loaf that my Kroger affiiate bakes in house and sells for under $2. Just the thing for some applications, but I usually get to market before the bake is ready...

16 hours ago, heidih said:

Can you remiind me where that recipe/method was recently poisted. It is like the "Italian" loaf that my Kroger affiiate bakes in house and sells for under $2. Just the thing for some applications, but I usually get to market before the bake is ready...

Here you go.  @shelby says, "If you bake them in the CSO, I proof them at 100f on steam setting for about 25 mins. then bake on the bread setting at 350f for 25-30 mins. "

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Here you go.  @shelby says, "If you bake them in the CSO, I proof them at 100f on steam setting for about 25 mins. then bake on the bread setting at 350f for 25-30 mins. "

The link didn't work.