• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2016–)

DianaM

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure where my question should be posted, so in addition to posting it in the "Experimenting with my bread machine" topic, I'm posting it here.  I would like to make brioche dough in my bread machine which I will shape and bake as buns.  If anyone has experience doing this, could they post the ingredient list?    I know I could make the real thing by hand but I don't have the time or energy to do so.  Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

In the twilight of 2019 I baked a loaf of rye to speed the passing of the annum, and of the cheese I served with it.  The recipe is from Magnus Nilsson's The Nordic Baking Book.

Most of it is left.

The rye is wrapped in plastic in a plastic bag.  It is neither harder nor softer than when it left the oven.  It is not moldy.  Can it still sustain the dark months of 2022, of plague and famine?

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I had not baked in a while, but after achieving (mostly) good results with pizza dough, I returned to bread...

Bread01042022.jpg

Much unlike my usual contributions.  The dough is hand mixed and finished with a vacuum autolysis.  Quick and easy, and I can make one loaf at a time.  I feared the dough might be over proofed, but the results were excellent:

Sliced01042022.jpg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 3

11 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I had not baked in a while, but after achieving (mostly) good results with pizza dough, I returned to bread...

Bread01042022.jpg

Much unlike my usual contributions.  The dough is hand mixed and finished with a vacuum autolysis.  Quick and easy, and I can make one loaf at a time.  I feared the dough might be over proofed, but the results were excellent:

Sliced01042022.jpg

I'm in the same boat JoNorvelle, haven't baked in a few months, I think it's been.  First loaf "back," a "Rubaud" levain (70% BF, 18% WW - a 50:50 mix of home-milled hard spring and winter wheats, 9% spelt, 3% rye (both milled at home as well).

IMG_0718.jpeg

IMG_0719.jpeg

Edited by paul o' vendange (log)
  • Like 5

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I followed the link in @Ann_T's signature to her blog and saw a link to her Facebook page where she shared on Dec 25 that she was involved in a car accident on Dec 23 and needs to take it easy for a while to heal and recuperate.  

@Ann_T, you have all my thoughts and prayers for a smooth recovery!  I hope you'll be able to join us here for a little distraction and conversation even if you aren't up to cooking yet.  

That's terrible news.  Ann, I hope you're OK, I hope the injuries were fairly minor!  You are very much in mind - heal well, and quickly. 

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

Bread01082022.jpg

My last two loaves, which were made with the vacuum method, have been darker than usual and with a thicker crust.  Almost like I had added malt.  Taste fine however.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 3

6 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Bread01082022.jpg

My last two loaves, which were made with the vacuum method, have been darker than usual and with a thicker crust.  Almost like I had added malt.  Taste fine however.

Your bread always looks so good.   I envy big time!

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Bread01082022.jpg

What is the vacuum method?

19 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

What is the vacuum method?

The vacuum method is described in Modernist Bread, page 3-108.  The heading is "How to Perform an Autolyse [sic] (and Mix) by Pulling a Vacuum on the Dough".  There are discussions in the Modernist Bread topic.  The idea is that pulling a vacuum on dough will result in full gluten development, with no mixing or kneading needed.

When Modernist Bread came out I tried the method, but I was not impressed.  Putting dough in a bag is messy.  Taking dough out of a bag is messier.  Forward a few years and I read that @Chris Hennes was using the vacuum method for his pizza.  I tried it with excellent results.  But rather than a bag I just put my dough in a Rubbermaid container.  No mess.

After several perfect pizzas (and one abject failure, no fault of the vacuum method) I decided to reassess making bread by the vacuum method.  Twice now I have had good results.  I just combine my dough by hand and pull a vacuum.  Note:  I add my salt at the beginning, unlike as Modernist Bread suggests.

No mixer is required, no elbow grease, production time is shorter, there is less cleanup.  What more could one desire?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Where there's a will there's a way.......

1922401328_RalphsCrustyGermanRollsJanuary10th2022.thumb.jpg.ffc2d2f7236be3bae1e9f7596c8065a7.jpg

2087969119_RalphsCrustyGermanRollsJanuary10th20221.thumb.jpg.00fa5d352992e45d27df10a7cc6f0169.jpg

I have a facebook friend, Ralph Nieboer, an amazing baker  to thank for sharing his "Do Nothing Method" for baking bread.

I'm somewhat out of commission at the moment when it comes to baking bread. Not able to do all the stretch and folds.
But I'm missing making bread. And more importantly Moe is missing my bread.
After reading Ralph's recipe, I realized that it is basically the same recipe I use for my baguettes.
I often start a batch at night with just two grams of yeast and leave if for a slow rise overnight.
But I always use the stretch fold and autolyze method.
I never would have thought to just mix the ingredients together and "do nothing", just leave for a longer room temperature fermentation.
Late yesterday afternoon around 5PM I mixed up a batch of dough and left it until after 8 this morning. (15 hours).
I shaped 12 rolls and started them off in the CSO on the Bread Steam setting and then transferred to my main oven to finish. Really happy with how they turned out.
Next batch will be baguettes using this method.
Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4

Yes the beauty and connection to older methods of letting the dough work itself. So happy youi were able to bake and be satisfied. It is a primal thing - the staff of life.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

1922401328_RalphsCrustyGermanRollsJanuary10th2022.thumb.jpg.ffc2d2f7236be3bae1e9f7596c8065a7.jpg

2087969119_RalphsCrustyGermanRollsJanuary10th20221.thumb.jpg.00fa5d352992e45d27df10a7cc6f0169.jpg

I have a facebook friend, Ralph Nieboer, an amazing baker  to thank for sharing his "Do Nothing Method" for baking bread.

I'm somewhat out of commission at the moment when it comes to baking bread. Not able to do all the stretch and folds.
After reading Ralph's recipe, I realized that it is basically the same recipe I use for my baguettes.
I often start a batch at night with just two grams of yeast and leave if for a slow rise overnight.
I never would have thought to just mix the ingredients together and "do nothing", just leave for a longer room temperature fermentation.
Late yesterday afternoon around 5PM I mixed up a batch of dough and left it until after 8 this morning. (15 hours).
I shaped 12 rolls and started them off in the CSO on the Bread Steam setting and then transferred to my main oven to finish. Really happy with how they turned out.

I wonder what would happen if I mixed my dough till it came together and then let it sit out overnight, rather than fast mixing by the vacuum method?  Surely the bread would have more flavor from the longer fermentation?

When using this technique what percentage of yeast is in the recipe?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

When using this technique what percentage of yeast is in the recipe?

I used 2g of yeast in a 1000 g of flour at 70% hydration.   Bread always has more flavour with a longer fermentation, but this was actually really good.   Slow rise over 15 hours at room temperature.   When I use the same ingredients

with the stretch and fold method I usually finish the last stretch and fold around 8PM and the dough has more than doubled by 3:00 AM and is ready to go.   Without the stretch/folds, this batch was much slower to rise.

I actually enjoy the process of the stretch and folds, but just can't do them at the moment so this is allows me to bake bread for the time being. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

NICE!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ann_T said:

I'll give this a try - thanks Ann

15 hours ago, Ann_T said:

I used 2g of yeast in a 1000 g of flour at 70% hydration.   Bread always has more flavour with a longer fermentation, but this was actually really good.   Slow rise over 15 hours at room temperature.   When I use the same ingredients

with the stretch and fold method I usually finish the last stretch and fold around 8PM and the dough has more than doubled by 3:00 AM and is ready to go.   Without the stretch/folds, this batch was much slower to rise.

I actually enjoy the process of the stretch and folds, but just can't do them at the moment so this is allows me to bake bread for the time being. 

The no-fold, long fermentation, is essentially the method offered in Modernist Pizza, for no-knead pizza doughs.  Giving a time frame of 12 - 18 hours at 70℉.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 minute ago, weinoo said:

The no-fold, long fermentation, is essentially the method offered in Modernist Pizza, for no-knead pizza doughs.  Giving a time frame of 12 - 18 hours at 70℉.

IIRC, it's also the method laid out by Jim Lahey.  Never tried it but I'm intrigued.  Also want to try using Caputo "Chef" and "Pizzeria" Type 00 flours.

• Like 2

-Paul

7 minutes ago, paul o' vendange said:

IIRC, it's also the method laid out by Jim Lahey.  Never tried it but I'm intrigued.  Also want to try using Caputo "Chef" and "Pizzeria" Type 00 flours.

Yes, indeed (I just checked My Pizza, by Jim.)

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

On 1/8/2022 at 9:55 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

But rather than a bag I just put my dough in a Rubbermaid container.  No mess.

How are you able to pull a vacuum in a Rubbermaid container? I'm having trouble imagining how that works...

1 hour ago, dtremit said:

How are you able to pull a vacuum in a Rubbermaid container? I'm having trouble imagining how that works...

Put (topless) Rubbermaid container in vacuum chamber.  Push button.

• Like 1