• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2016–)

DianaM

7 hours ago, weinoo said:

I spent the whole morning baking.

No - I'm kidding...I happened to go to the farmer's market today, at Union Square, and one of my favorite bakers was there...

IMG_3821.thumb.JPG.a222206bfe9e1737e17ce966ce6f8456.JPG

That's a sourdough whole-wheat miche on the right. 

Wow.  Is that Daniel Leader by any chance?  Do I have the right baker?

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

i like big buns and i cannot lie

you other brothers can’t deny

that when a guy walks past that bakery case

and a round thing in your face you get hung...ry

ExgwN6aXIAQnWKf.thumb.jpeg.52fa6648c443326850c9fa13564d148f.jpeg

ExgwN6aWQAEECSP.thumb.jpeg.6ccc70b05cd52489b7ff69815e734b86.jpeg

IMG_1126.thumb.jpeg.c8bf74cacfb75944c37515bb97c985f0.jpeg

brioche!

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 4

incidentally really enjoying the proofing box for things like rolls - which are a pain to keep warm and covered without something like greased saran wrap so that it won't stick

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@liamsaunt – two things I swore I was going to learn how to make when I retired (9 years ago) were croissants and bagels.  I haven’t done either, even in a quarantine year, but your bagels are SO inspiring. 

Yesterday, I made sweet potato rolls to put in the freezer for Easter.  The eggs:

IMG_5463.thumb.jpg.5f09e1ee669c037483b07ba7e959e099.jpg

One is from the grocery store and the other is from my SIL’s chickens.  After the first rise:

IMG_5464.jpg.e02845228151fe596515f02f0908dfec.jpg

IMG_5465.thumb.jpg.92ec7dfdbd3236df55fa5b8901a71f20.jpg

After shaping – 2nd rise in my “proofing room”.  LOL:

IMG_5466.thumb.jpg.a69caa017ecb4bda67c7c837d567e777.jpg

The half bath off the kitchen with a space heater set to 73. 

Done.  Not pretty, but they taste good:

IMG_5469.thumb.jpg.842c9f764266ff5c84fd99dcc23a5c65.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

Bread04052021.png

I now know why the thingy the camera used to hang from was called a BOOM.  Tonight’s new camera photograph was hand held.  Cheese and fruit awaiting.  Not to mention wine, once the much needed mai tai is finished.

• Like 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, DesertTinker said:

Lovely picture. Your board/block looks almost as good as the two breads.

Many thanks.  It is the same walnut end grain block on which I've been photographing my loaves for years.  The difference is the much lower noise of the new Sony camera compared to my beloved iPad.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, curls said:

Tried a recipe from Buzzby Bakes that uses yeast and sourdough discard. Made a very nice white sandwich bread that is just a smidge too tall for the CSO. Need to do something else next time to prevent the top from getting scorched.

1748926632_IMG_6730-yeastandsourdoughdiscard-BuzzbyBakes.jpg.a1909e00db0f698c4c32e85d9cbdbfa6.jpg

link to video with bread recipe: https://youtu.be/BYXTtALjKLQ

Thanks to the suggestions from others on this site I have started baking bread in the CSO on the bread setting and finishing them in my regular oven.

21 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Thanks to the suggestions from others on this site I have started baking bread in the CSO on the bread setting and finishing them in my regular oven.

Yup, I keep seeing that advice... I just have to follow it!  🙂

• Like 1

I made so-called sourdough bread from the bread machine.  It calls for a very long rise.  The regular bread takes a little over 3 hours start to finish and this took over 6 hours.  It ended up with a huge divot in the loaf:

IMG_5661.thumb.jpg.eaf430c2714a6583fdc99072dbf4fb4d.jpg

I figured it was ruined.  I was completely surprised when I cut into it and found it was fine:

IMG_5663.thumb.jpg.aa79e0fe4b5d8cdfc0d42983eda227ae.jpg

Weird divot, but the texture, crumb, and flavor were fine (though I couldn’t detect any sourdough flavor).  It toasted up just fine:

IMG_5664.jpg.9642799fccdf874b3c3e6670731fa8cb.jpg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 2

On 4/21/2021 at 9:51 AM, ElsieD said:

@Kim Shook  The crumb in that loaf looks lovely.  Was the recipe one that came with the machine?

It was - 200 ml water, 1 T. oil, 3/4 t. salt, 1 T. sugar, 1 T. powdered milk, 350 g bread flour, 1/3 t. (ridiculous measurement) yeast.  That's for a 1.5 lb. loaf.  The mode was called "natural sourdough" and took over 6 hours to complete.  

• Like 1

Really trying to get a few mainstays down.  Using the Rubaud method I am finding it difficult to get an even crumb structure from make to make for my pain au levain, but tweaking (e.g., breaking bench in two, S & F for a second pre-shape at 15 minutes, rest add'l 15, S & F again, for total bench rest of 30 minutes).  Did pick up some strength with these last-period folds, but work in progress.  Satisfactory, just not there yet.

63% Central Millings Baker's Craft Plus

25% Hi-Pro Medium WW

12% (Local) dark rye

80% hydration

Overnight autolyse with flours, salt and chilled water; free rise to room temp overnight.

Adding in only 12% levain inoculation (from Trevor/Breadwerx)

Rubaud x 10 minutes; rest 10; finish with 5 minutes for total of 15 minutes Rubaud mixing.

S & F's 1-4 every 1/2 hour;

S & F's 4-8 on the hour.  Because I wasn't happy with the strength at 6 hours bulk, I dared an add'l 30 minutes and then several light folds to effect a tighter pre-shape.  Given continuing concern over the dough's slackness, I broke the 30 minute bench rest in two:  15 minutes, do an add'l S & F/pre-shape, rest 15, then a final shaping.

Proof x 2 hours.  Set proofing temp of 76F.

IMG_0327.jpg

IMG_0329.jpg

Edited by paul o' vendange (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 1

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

309832871_BaguettesMay3rd202112Hourroomtemperaturefermentation.thumb.jpg.128bd9ebed508c9c1d45c28122f73b13.jpg
I haven't baked baguettes in a few weeks.
So started a 1000g batch of dough last night with just 2g of yeast and left it out on the counter for a room temperature 12 hour fermentation.
221605947_BaguettesMay3rd202112Hourroomtemperaturefermentation1.thumb.jpg.d22a1085eec781eeeb3b02fba888c2f6.jpg
Out of the oven this morning in time for breakfast.
Four baguettes between 18" and 22" long. 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

On 5/3/2021 at 2:42 PM, Ann_T said:
309832871_BaguettesMay3rd202112Hourroomtemperaturefermentation.thumb.jpg.128bd9ebed508c9c1d45c28122f73b13.jpg
I haven't baked baguettes in a few weeks.
So started a 1000g batch of dough last night with just 2g of yeast and left it out on the counter for a room temperature 12 hour fermentation.
221605947_BaguettesMay3rd202112Hourroomtemperaturefermentation1.thumb.jpg.d22a1085eec781eeeb3b02fba888c2f6.jpg
Out of the oven this morning in time for breakfast.
Four baguettes between 18" and 22" long. 

Wow Ann.  Those are beautiful.  Shiny, well-caramelized crust; molten crumb and uneven alveoli; perfect scoring.  Gorgeous.  So it seems you make a poolish or biga the night before.  Would you mind sharing your formula and procedures?  

• Like 2

-Paul

8 hours ago, paul o' vendange said:

Wow Ann.  Those are beautiful.  Shiny, well-caramelized crust; molten crumb and uneven alveoli; perfect scoring.  Gorgeous.  So it seems you make a poolish or biga the night before.  Would you mind sharing your formula and procedures?  

@paul o' vendange, No biga or preferment in this batch.   I've been playing around with slow overnight rises so I can bake in the morning before leaving for work.    Sometimes I will feed my starter and add 60 to 80 grams of discard to a 1000g of flour along with one gram of yeast.  But this batch was 1000g of flour with 2 g of yeast, at 72% hydration and 30g of salt.   Did the autolyse , stretch and fold method a number of times between 5:30 and 9:00 PM and then left it out on the overnight.    Then just shaped, proofed and baked.    

Here is my basic method, including an option for sourdough and a biga.....https://thibeaultstable.com/2019/06/12/artisan-bread-pictorial-repost/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

@paul o' vendange, No biga or preferment in this batch.   I've been playing around with slow overnight rises so I can bake in the morning before leaving for work.    Sometimes I will feed my starter and add 60 to 80 grams of discard to a 1000g of flour along with one gram of yeast.  But this batch was 1000g of flour with 2 g of yeast, at 72% hydration and 30g of salt.   Did the autolyse , stretch and fold method a number of times between 5:30 and 9:00 PM and then left it out on the overnight.    Then just shaped, proofed and baked.    

Here is my basic method, including an option for sourdough and a biga.....https://thibeaultstable.com/2019/06/12/artisan-bread-pictorial-repost/

Fantastic, thanks Ann, for the info and the link.  Masterly, truly beautiful bread.  I love the slow ferment without preferment.  Though there is a levain used, from some of the French sites they are playing with extremely long bulk ferments, with no retarding.  A mere inoculation of 1% or even a tad less, in some instances.  I had a 24 hour bulk ferment that I S & F'ed during the first several hours, then left alone for the remaining bulk.  Not entirely sold, but I didn't do any serious trials and want to return.  I love slow ferments for the o-acids and esters and so forth that aerobic respiration and regeneration bring - but find there's a sweet spot, because each yeast cell can only bud daughter cells a fixed number of times, and, from brewing, it's been my experience these extremely slow ferments induce too many mutations, and lower both viability and vitality.

On the other hand I am a fan of making them work, to some extent, so am definitely sold on moderately slow ferments (my basic levain is about 6.5-7 hr bulk, then 2.5-3.5 hrs final proofing).  

At any rate, I'm very interested in your work and look forward to seeing more of what you do.

• Like 1

-Paul

• 2 weeks later...