• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2016–)

DianaM

Had fun making these milky mushroom  bread:)

took a little  thinking about how to make sure the mushroom " leg" wouldn't  collapse  during  baking...

20210319_091900.jpg.74213f5c7eed987f14cfca9af0789519.jpg

20210316_225844.jpg.c1a419fc046157f4d8f162bcc6e1e936.jpg

Cheese Fillings......

I m recently diving into NO KNEAD recipes . NO KNEAD  NO MIXER....No....

20210319_093203.jpg.ce5b3d5ac14bcda1b96dd8760e3279d9.jpg

20210319_093836.jpg.c8a7eaf29b119e7c8d265f625061c80f.jpg

20210319_093337.jpg.e562ab217907a7f993f98665fd52a97b.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

Cooking Is A Therapy~ Life Is Not Always Having A Recipe~

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsMk5tzco08DWQz1F4RGZHw

Rye bread, specifically made for Reuben sandwiches. 2/3 wheat flour (type 550), 1/3 rye (type 997). 62% hydration, 1/4 of which was pickling liquid from pickles to lower the pH and restrict amylase activity in the rye flour. Some brown sugar, some caraway seeds - baked in an (oval) dutch oven.

0E875F65-0447-4A06-92C5-263C5D1A8555.thumb.jpeg.aa36a8a5764d0e10c688973ce2959686.jpeg

CDD5E1A9-BF35-4493-8145-B784E2C6E334.thumb.jpeg.ece7f730ea523c7f78effa241d3f7b9b.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

12 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Rye bread, specifically made for Reuben sandwiches. 2/3 wheat flour (type 550), 1/3 rye (type 997). 62% hydration, 1/4 of which was pickling liquid from pickles to lower the pH and restrict amylase activity in the rye flour. Some brown sugar, some caraway seeds - baked in an (oval) dutch oven.

0E875F65-0447-4A06-92C5-263C5D1A8555.thumb.jpeg.aa36a8a5764d0e10c688973ce2959686.jpeg

Beautiful rye loaf. Those were my old flour proportions but the use of pickle liquid! Where did that come? Your innovation or?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, heidih said:

Beautiful rye loaf. Those were my old flour proportions but the use of pickle liquid! Where did that come? Your innovation or?

I read that somewhere - I wish I could reference it, as I did not have the proportions ready and went by gut feeling ...

The idea is that rye has a lot more amylases, enzymes that convert starched to sugars and mess up your bread structure and browning, as they create to much sugar during fermentation time. A lower pH disables them, that why sourdough & rye are best friends. You can add vinegar to bring down the pH, so pickling juice fits into the concept and the flavor profile ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, heidih said:

Ditto on all counts.  Was just going to ask as well - what a cool technique and the first I’ve come across it, using the pickling liquid to retard amylases. (!)

An Algerian baker friend of mine vastly prefers rye to wheat, whereas I’m the opposite - mostly because I just don’t have a feel for working within the biochemical constraints of the grain.  My wife is Estonian, rye is their flesh, and it would be awesome to learn more of this. 

Edited by paul o' vendange (log)
  • Like 1

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

A few of the newer bakeries which have opened here offer 100% ryes. They're intense and great.

The Times published a recipe from Claus Meyer (Noma co-founder), who opened the Nordic food hall in Grand Central, and was selling a delicious rye.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1018537-nordic-whole-grain-rye-bread

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

finally got some flour in so i can start baking bread again. proofing tends to be an issue for us, especially in the winter, as we keep the house pretty cool. i've been tempted by one of those brød and taylor proofing boxes for a while, now, but at $300CAD the price is hard to stomach even though it would keep the house cooler in the summer and use less power than heating up the oven.

so when i was able to snag a new one for $30 at an auction recently, i snapped it up.

IMG_1002.thumb.jpeg.f0a9e257ff84c26fa4f7f200dac0b05c.jpeg IMG_1003.thumb.jpeg.85640685756a60a837e123b40b0c79c5.jpeg

threw together a quick enriched dough just to test it out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, rotuts said:

@jimb0 

Im very Keen on you Find

why ?

I have one still in the box

no matter

plus put this in its paces a pls take some time to report

cheer !

well, clearly works as a proofer. one of the things that i like most about this is that i don’t have to mess with closed containers or plastic wrap to avoid dough drying out in a low-humidity environment. 

734B485D-128F-489B-8E08-E9BC07941148.thumb.jpeg.9d7f54c542ba8eaf07a3eeb8cf9e360c.jpeg

looking forward to trying it out as a fermentation chamber at some point, or maybe a holding-chocolate-at-temperature box

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jimb0 said:

well, clearly works as a proofer. one of the things that i like most about this is that i don’t have to mess with closed containers or plastic wrap to avoid dough drying out in a low-humidity environment. 

734B485D-128F-489B-8E08-E9BC07941148.thumb.jpeg.9d7f54c542ba8eaf07a3eeb8cf9e360c.jpeg

looking forward to trying it out as a fermentation chamber at some point, or maybe a holding-chocolate-at-temperature box

I, not unlike @rotuts am also the proud owner of the Brod @ Taylor proofer box.  Mine, however, has been used maybe twice.  I'll be very interested in reading your future postings of how you have made use of it.  Who knows, I may dig it out.

• Like 1

\

1 minute ago, ElsieD said:

I, not unlike @rotuts am also the proud owner of the Brod @ Taylor proofer box.  Mine, however, has been used maybe twice.  I'll be very interested in reading your future postings of how you have made use of it.  Who knows, I may dig it out.

I bought one about 5 years ago and have used it extensively for my everyday breads.  Right now it's folded up and stored in my pantry since my move a few months ago.  I'm making do just fine without it even though I'm baking as much as ever. 

If I ever figure out the settings on my new F. Blumlein steam/convection oven I probably won't ever use the proofing box again.

• Like 1

I got my B@D box some time ago.

I have  braked bread , via a cuisinart system w a 45 knead .

and a bread machine , generic , but fine toast.

I got the B@D , as usual , on sale

as my kitchen in the winter time 

it a bit chilly or more

as I used to use a WoodStove

now in just cheap Quite Frugal.

a very long tome ago I used to make Yogurt 

a gallon at a time , 4 its  and made my own incubator

w a heating pad and very crude controler

why ? Ridge , my black Lab  loved yogurt in his kibble

I got 1 qt a day

I do hope to start baking bread soon 

I might even get my mid level gas oven gas controller fixed.

looking forward to warmer weather 

before the Eastern Mosquitos show up.

My Breville oven has a proof setting and the temperature is adjustable.  It works very well but since there is no steam, the dough must be covered.  Like others here, I chuck the ingredients into the bread machine on dough setting and go from there.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2021 at 12:52 PM, Duvel said:

CDD5E1A9-BF35-4493-8145-B784E2C6E334.thumb.jpeg.ece7f730ea523c7f78effa241d3f7b9b.jpeg

That looks fabulous! I can almost taste it.

• Thanks 1

On 3/23/2021 at 12:41 PM, Ann_T said:

@Duvel, beautiful loaf of rye. 

1000g flour, 80g of discard and 1g of yeast. 30g of salt, 70% hydration.
Finished the last stretch fold around 9:30 PM.
Overnight rise on the counter.
Baked this morning.

Baguettes range between 18" to 21" long.

Baguettes March 23rd, 2021 1.jpg

Gorgeous Ann.  Overnight - do you mean the remainder of your bulk, or you proofed overnight?  I ask, because my enemy is over proofing - even at room temp and with no humidity, I’m in the oven by about 1 1/2 hrs.

Truly beautiful.  Any polish or bif a process, or straight ferment?

Edited by paul o' vendange
Autocorrect is merciless. « Pooolish » or « biga. » (log)

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

26 minutes ago, paul o' vendange said:

Gorgeous Ann.  Overnight - do you mean the remainder of your bulk, or you proofed overnight?  I ask, because my enemy is over proofing - even at room temp and with no humidity, I’m in the oven by about 1 1/2 hrs.

Truly beautiful.  Any polish or bif a process, or straight ferment?

@paul o' vendangeThe overnight rise was just a bulk rise.   It was straight up discard and tiny bit of yeast. Enough for a slow overnight rise.  Didn't bother to make a biga or preferment.      It was ready to shape and proof around  4:00 AM this morning. 

I've been doing this a lot lately.  I'm usually up between 2 and 3 am  so if the dough is ready to go around that time or shortly after  I can bake even on days that I work because I don't leave the house until sometime after 9:00.

And I have been baking in my new oven, which means I can bake three or four loaves at a time unlike the smaller,  one at a time, in the CSO.  

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Ann_T said:

@paul o' vendangeThe overnight rise was just a bulk rise.   It was straight up discard and tiny bit of yeast. Enough for a slow overnight rise.  Didn't bother to make a biga or preferment.      It was ready to shape and proof around  4:00 AM this morning. 

I've been doing this a lot lately.  I'm usually up between 2 and 3 am  so if the dough is ready to go around that time or shortly after  I can bake even on days that I work because I don't leave the house until sometime after 9:00.

And I have been baking in my new oven, which means I can bake three or four loaves at a time unlike the smaller,  one at a time, in the CSO.  

Awesome!   My post got zapped but suffice it to say you inspired me to dig up an old “baguette de tradition” recipe, wish I could remember where I got it but it’s been many years. Straight dough, 3 hours bulk, proof, bake.  

20 g w/w flour

20 g dark rye flour

360 g bread flour

275 g ice water (I don’t know why.  I used room temp.  Maybe because it was originally machine mixed?  No idea.  I slapped and folded).

200 g 100% hydration levain (I think the recipe calls for discard, but in this case I used peak levain)

¼ tsp instant yeast

Autolyse 30 minutes. Add 9 grams salt and mix through.

Stretch and fold 2 hours, total of 3 hours bulk or until double.

1 hour before baking, 500F; drop to 460F; 20 minute bake.

Thanks for the idea.  Nice to have a couple loaves ready for dinner.  Would love to have your oven size.  My little things don’t do the form proud.  My son is pretty keyed to build a mud oven out back this spring, so fingers crossed.

Edited by paul o' vendange (log)

-Paul

I spent the whole morning baking.

No - I'm kidding...I happened to go to the farmer's market today, at Union Square, and one of my favorite bakers was there...

IMG_3821.thumb.JPG.a222206bfe9e1737e17ce966ce6f8456.JPG

That's a sourdough whole-wheat miche on the right. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?