• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2016–)

DianaM

2 hours ago, minas6907 said:

I wanted to ask, on Instagram I come across loaves every now and then that have something that is, or like, a cracker wrapped around them. Is this a new trend in bread, or is it more like an old technique that has been gaining popularity?

Something like this

Or this

Anyways, just wondering, thanks all

No idea on the origin but fullproofbaking on Instagram says she first tried this technique in 2018. She offers a recipe and tutorial in this post https://www.instagram.com/p/CK6inzHJ6RA/?igshid=1i47o52pg2jrr

On 3/5/2021 at 9:31 PM, Ann_T said:

Dough was started last night with 1000g of bread flour, 50g of rye and 90 g of starter discard. At 70% hydration.

I've seen your use of rye at 5% - 10%; do you find it really ups the flavor a lot?

I imagine at that %, it doesn't make the dough terribly harder to work with.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

I've seen your use of rye at 5% - 10%; do you find it really ups the flavor a lot?

I imagine at that %, it doesn't make the dough terribly harder to work with.

1687483129_Sourdough25RyeFebruary24thbakedFeb25th2.thumb.jpg.1d653418639e3dc26887eb12ec9fa737.jpg

@weinoo Even at the 25% in this loaf, that I posted on the 25th, the dough was easy to work with and tasted more like a rye bread.

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

Soft & fluffy Milky wool roll bread & flower bread in cheesy hotdog style

No Knead No Machine  No Water Roux  No Butter

mmexport1615431316000.jpg.78dd104a4e183ef6f6d410e1d6e5befc.jpg

mmexport1615431308922.jpg.f23a5b3d6a32779f5b1a9524363621e0.jpg

mmexport1615431329841.jpg.a0d81666ec626ebee0f841812e8e0285.jpg

mmexport1615431349636.jpg.5a92f67f151438136c34aeef2197cbe7.jpg

mmexport1615431343948.jpg.f54d5216b7b0f2d5a51e5cc4daed152a.jpg

• Like 9

Cooking Is A Therapy~ Life Is Not Always Having A Recipe~

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsMk5tzco08DWQz1F4RGZHw

On 3/7/2021 at 7:33 AM, Ann_T said:

1687483129_Sourdough25RyeFebruary24thbakedFeb25th2.thumb.jpg.1d653418639e3dc26887eb12ec9fa737.jpg

@weinoo Even at the 25% in this loaf, that I posted on the 25th, the dough was easy to work with and tasted more like a rye bread.

What *I* want to know is why that split looks so lovely and delicious in your bread, and so like incompetence in mine!  xD

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

On 3/12/2021 at 7:06 AM, Smithy said:

What *I* want to know is why that split looks so lovely and delicious in your bread, and so like incompetence in mine!  xD

An impulse buy.
954174336_VintageGuardianServeWare1.thumb.jpg.95c588a0101e1974500493392dc14b46.jpg

Five pieces of Vintage Guardian Service Ware.
It is my intention to use the three larger pots as Dutch Ovens for baking bread.
  • Like 7

6 minutes ago, Ann_T said:
An impulse buy.
954174336_VintageGuardianServeWare1.thumb.jpg.95c588a0101e1974500493392dc14b46.jpg

It is my intention to use the three larger pots as Dutch Ovens for baking bread.

That's a beautiful set! I look forward to the results. :) 

I asked this question a few weeks? months? ago, with an unsatisfactory although well-meaning series of responses. Now I'm going to ask you, directly: how do you control the thickness of the outer crust, whether in Dutch Ovens or on bread stones or whatever? I find that in my cast iron Dutch Oven the crust is beautifully caramelized - that is, almost reddish golden brown - but downright tough on the bottom. The sides and top are satisfying for a good crusty bread. I almost need a hatchet to cut through the base. I've had the same result, without as good color, with bread on a baking stone.

What should I change so that the crust is the same thickness and texture at the base, where the dough has direct contact with a hot surface, as on the sides and top, where it doesn't?

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

@Smithy, I'm not an expert.  I just like baking bread.   

I know that you  need to make sure that the gluten is well developed.

I just do the stretch and fold method and I often do it over a 2 to 3 hour period with longer autolzye rests. 

I like to look for bubble development under the skin.    

Almost all of the loaves are started in the CSO on the bread setting so that it gets well steamed during the first 10 minutes. 

Larger rounds are baked in a Dutch Oven in place of steaming. 

If I want a darker crust, I just bake it longer.  But that doesn't make the crust thicker just darker. 

I also think that the flour used makes a big difference.

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ann_T said:
An impulse buy.

Very cool. Where did you manage to find those beauties ? 

• Like 1

If it's slower than me.

Dumber than me.

And tastes good.

Pass the salt.

Anthony Bourdain

7 minutes ago, Lancelot said:

Very cool. Where did you manage to find those beauties ? 

@Lancelot they were posted on the local FB Marketplace.   And I knew I had to have them. Not that I need or even

have space for more pans.   But the price was right and I thought that because of the domed lids they would be perfect for baking bread.

Will find out tomorrow.  I started four batches of dough and will finish the last stretch and fold before bed and I'll bake in the morning.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Lancelot said:

Five pieces of Vintage Guardian Service Ware

A distant family member sold those.  I believe they would do in-home parties, like Tupperware.  Hence the inheritance of a collection.  They also show up frequently in thrift shops, but few people now-a-days even recognize Guardian Ware.  There were slip on bakelite handles sold separately to make the pots less burn-y out of the oven.  Those domed lids are great, I use them on all kinds of pots, like frying pans.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Smithy said:

That's a beautiful set! I look forward to the results. :) 

I asked this question a few weeks? months? ago, with an unsatisfactory although well-meaning series of responses. Now I'm going to ask you, directly: how do you control the thickness of the outer crust, whether in Dutch Ovens or on bread stones or whatever? I find that in my cast iron Dutch Oven the crust is beautifully caramelized - that is, almost reddish golden brown - but downright tough on the bottom. The sides and top are satisfying for a good crusty bread. I almost need a hatchet to cut through the base. I've had the same result, without as good color, with bread on a baking stone.

What should I change so that the crust is the same thickness and texture at the base, where the dough has direct contact with a hot surface, as on the sides and top, where it doesn't?

My issue wasn't crust thickness so much as overbrowning — but when I was baking more on my steel, I often would take the loaves off the stone and move them to a rack for maybe the last ten minutes of cooking.

Lately I have been baking more in my Lodge combo cooker; with that I preheat the deeper half and use it as a "lid" over the bread. The other half (under the bread) I leave unheated.

Edited by dtremit (log)
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dtremit said:

My issue wasn't crust thickness so much as overbrowning — but when I was baking more on my steel, I often would take the loaves off the stone and move them to a rack for maybe the last ten minutes of cooking.

Lately I have been baking more in my Lodge combo cooker; with that I preheat the deeper half and use it as a "lid" over the bread. The other half (under the bread) I leave unheated.

Over browning sounds like too much time.  Crust thickness sounds like insufficient steam.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Over browning sounds like too much time.  Crust thickness sounds like insufficient steam.

If it were the whole loaf, yes — but like @Smithy I was only having trouble with the bottom of the loaf. Hard to get steam in between the loaf and the pan/stone/steel it's sitting on. And if I pulled it before the bottom crust got too thick, the rest of the loaf was underbaked.

In my case, reducing the amount of time the loaf spent sitting directly on something super hot seemed to help a great deal.

• Thanks 1

1009595535_FirstbakeinVintageGuardiancookwareMarch16th20212.thumb.jpg.25e4bea7b5a6d5bcac20e35e74199bba.jpg
First bake in my new "old" Guardian cookware.
I decided that I would bake bread in each of the pots.
Made four batches of dough last night. Two 500g batches each with 50g of sourdough discard and 1gram of yeast and one 750g batch with 60g of sourdough discard and 1gram of yeast and one 1000g gram batch with just 2g of yeast.
They all went into the fridge after the last stretch and folds except for the 1000g batch which I left out on the counter for a slow overnight rise. It was ready to divide and shape at 4:00 AM. Separated the dough into a large boule, and 7 smaller rolls and one slightly larger.
2060685950_FirstbakeinVintageGuardiancookwareMarch16th20213.thumb.jpg.b2289d7589166c1b321f4f1601355c2a.jpg

The 7 rolls were baked in the chicken fryer pan, the slightly larger roll in the 1 quart pan and the large boule in the roaster.

1661030867_FirstbakeinVintageGuardiancookwareMarch16th20211.thumb.jpg.1c95de3b91a631a96a06bc07ec7c58c2.jpg
I have the 750g batch out of the fridge and coming to room temperature and will bake two more boules, one in each of the two remaining pots, the 2 quart and the 3 quart sometime later this morning.

EDITED TO ADD:
550503068_FirstbakeinVintageGuardiancookwareMarch16th20216.thumb.jpg.2ceb3d2e9f5e967212d55abceed2c657.jpg

Two more boules baked in the 2 quart and 3 quart vintage Guardian pots.
50grams of sourdough discard and just one gram of yeast in 500g of flour at 70% Hydration.
This dough was left in the fridge overnight.

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 1

6 hours ago, dtremit said:

If it were the whole loaf, yes — but like @Smithy I was only having trouble with the bottom of the loaf. Hard to get steam in between the loaf and the pan/stone/steel it's sitting on. And if I pulled it before the bottom crust got too thick, the rest of the loaf was underbaked.

In my case, reducing the amount of time the loaf spent sitting directly on something super hot seemed to help a great deal.

Sorry, I misunderstood.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

15 hours ago, Ann_T said:

@Lancelot they were posted on the local FB Marketplace.   And I knew I had to have them. Not that I need or even

have space for more pans.   But the price was right and I thought that because of the domed lids they would be perfect for baking bread.

Will find out tomorrow.  I started four batches of dough and will finish the last stretch and fold before bed and I'll bake in the morning.

My wife inherited a set from her parents. There is a straight sided oval one that that I particularly love. Not very heavy but great for long slow oven cooking. 

• Like 2

If it's slower than me.

Dumber than me.

And tastes good.

Pass the salt.

Anthony Bourdain

53 minutes ago, Ann_T said:
1004241098_FirstbakeinVintageGuardiancookwareMarch16th20212.thumb.jpg.9c3c8b07253ed43d0bede1230194d3a8.jpg

First bake in my new "old" Guardian cookware.
I decided that I would bake bread in each of the pots.
Made four batches of dough last night. Two 500g batches each with 50g of sourdough discard and 1gram of yeast and one 750g batch with 60g of sourdough discard and 1gram of yeast and one 1000g gram batch with just 2g of yeast.
They all went into the fridge after the last stretch and folds except for the 1000g batch which I left out on the counter for a slow overnight rise. It was ready to divide and shape at 4:00 AM. Separated the dough into a large boule, and 7 smaller rolls and one slightly larger.
1967518955_FirstbakeinVintageGuardiancookwareMarch16th20211.thumb.jpg.a9f83d4972235114351a6b1d8e49008c.jpg
The 7 rolls were baked in the chicken fryer pan, the slightly larger roll in the 1 quart pan and the large boule in the roaster.
1619894407_FirstbakeinVintageGuardiancookwareMarch16th20213.thumb.jpg.a6bb2500291858ee91332b3bf3c634ba.jpg

I have the 750g batch out of the fridge and coming to room temperature and will bake two more boules, one in each of the two remaining pots, the 2 quart and the 3 quart sometime later this morning.

where is the WOW emoji?  

Gorgeous!

• Like 3