• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2016–)

DianaM

you don't need to do sourdough, though! i think this is mostly just the technique. i'm pretty sure you could 100% do a preferment like you might for any bread - i'd do 100g of water and 100g of flour, and a pinch of yeast, and then proceed from there.

incidentally you could also just make an instant sourdough starter by using commercial yeast and yogurt whey. that's what i do when i start them so that they never fail. :V

Edited by jimb0 (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Today I’m making a CopyKat recipe for Olive Garden Breadsticks for the first time.

‘I’ll rest the dough in the fridge overnight and bake in the morning for my Canasta-playing friends.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, lindag said:

Today I’m making a CopyKat recipe for Olive Garden Breadsticks for the first time.

‘I’ll rest the dough in the fridge overnight and bake in the morning for my Canasta-playing friends.

It has been a few decades but I recall them as having a garlic & oil coating? Congruent with Canasta? They are most definitely popular.

@heidh, Brushed after baking with a mix of butter, garlic powder, parm and oregano.

A simple treat for after-game.  We sometimes do dessert afterward but some of us are concerned about calories.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 3

@ElsieD, great crumb on your "wee loaf".  Moe would love your bread with the raisins.  Bet it would be wonderful toasted.

Unfortunately for him, I don't like raisins.  I should make it for him with just the cranberries.  

Woke up to a major snow storm yesterday morning so I had a snow day.
Instead of going to work, I had a bake day.
I fed my starter, and mixed up four batches of dough using 50g of discard in each batch. Two 500g of batches, one 750g batch and one batch of rye dough. Baked the rye and the 750 batch late afternoon and the other two batches are in the fridge. One will be baked tonight and the other will be used for pizza on Monday.
1964625865_BaguettesandRyewith50gofstarterFebruary13th2021.thumb.jpg.58b740bb0ba4f56648aeaa09e2712106.jpg

So two Rye loaves and six baguettes.
1933322339_BaguettesandRyewith50gofstarterFebruary13th20211.thumb.jpg.623bd39daf8f352d74338751b64effcd.jpg

Moe wanted a couple of slices of the baguette after he had finished dinner. Had to
slice while still warm. 
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 3

While the bread baking continues, the pace has slowed to about 1 loaf per month. Here are my loaves from January & February. Baked both of these loaves in the CSO.

January 2021 sourdough bread

33228333_IMG_6538-2021January-sourdough.thumb.jpg.429faa1ab25277a879b64509d5aa6ecf.jpg

876285324_IMG_6549-2021January-sourdoughsliced.jpg.166d8100afe3a13f033a2a6a0a0cbcaf.jpg

February 2021 sourdough bread

188883521_IMG_6620-February2021-sourdough.jpg.9d49cf63fe1c50c05061cf7a2be752f6.jpg

493856156_IMG_6635-February2021-sourdoughsliced.jpg.048d53b001150672c7b857f9699df373.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

12 minutes ago, jimb0 said:

A770F35F-37DD-49D9-9CC1-2BE9657E8F06.thumb.jpeg.dbbd38c93a7fe4da893f60d6d659f453.jpeg

pullman pan, lean dough. 800g ap, 80% hydration, 4-hour autolyse (in a vac bag), 3% salt, ~ half a gram of yeast. i like the super small bubbles that form in the crust.

As I recall the Modernist Bread folks say that if you vacuum autolyze your dough it is at full gluten development immediately, and ready to be shaped.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

17 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

As I recall the Modernist Bread folks say that if you vacuum autolyze your dough it is at full gluten development immediately, and ready to be shaped.

it may have been ready, but i wasn’t!

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Bread02192021.png

What’s new is that today I used the Ankarsrum dough hook rather than the roller and scraper.

Which do you prefer for kneading bread, the roller & scraper or the dough hook?

1 minute ago, curls said:

Which do you prefer for kneading bread, the roller & scraper or the dough hook?

A good question!  The roller and scraper are good at kneading dough but poor at incorporating the ingredients initially.  My procedure over many loaves has been to use the dough hook* to mix the ingredients, except for salt; then after autolysis and adding salt, switch over to the roller and scraper to finish kneading.

The dough hook is keen to bring the dough together.  I noticed Ankarsrum recipes for a large batch of dough tend to use the roller and scraper.  Smaller batches call for the dough hook.  (There are exceptions.)  I've never made more than a kg and a half which is nothing for the Ankarsrum, hence my desire to try the dough hook.

I mixed 5 minutes on low and kneaded 5 minutes at medium speed.  I had my doubts about the dough hook but after 5 minutes kneading everything looked great.  The dough performed as good dough should.  I have yet to cut into the baguette because I am still working on my mai tai and peanuts.

*which is nothing like a KitchenAid dough hook, if anyone was wondering.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

11 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Rats...I thought it was yours.   Next time...

If there is a next time...

No chance - I'm not even attempting baguettes (yet you should see all the stuff I bought to help me attempt baguettes).

Calling @Ann_T!

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

If there is a next time...

No chance - I'm not even attempting baguettes (yet you should see all the stuff I bought to help me attempt baguettes).

Calling @Ann_T!

@weinooI put together this blog post Pictorial on shaping baguettes  for some FB friends. 

There are a number of videos out there on how to shape baguettes, but this method works for me.

It is how I have always shaped mine. There is a link to my basic recipe as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

@weinooI put together this blog post Pictorial on shaping baguettes  for some FB friends. 

Awesome - thank you.

How about your formulae?  With types/brands of flour!

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

26 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Awesome - thank you.

How about your formulae?  With types/brands of flour!

@weinoo, I use Roger's Silver Star flour.  This is one of their commercial bread flours with high protein.   It is a Canadian flour and Canadian

flour is known for being among the best in the world.  I buy this in 20K (44lb bags) and go through it quickly. 

The basic recipe is here.  And at the end of that post there is a Hydration Chart.  I tend to vary the hydration but the one I use the

most is 72%.  Lately when I feed my starter, I have been adding 50 to 60grams of discard to a batch of dough and adding just one gram of yeast. It is a slower rise

but develops a wonderful flavour without being too sour.   (Not a big fan of sourdough. )

This is also the same dough I use for pizza.

You can find many different blog posts on bread, with variations on Thibeault's Table. 

• Like 1