• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2016–)

DianaM

1 hour ago, AlaMoi said:

here's a mini-pullman, bit pricey....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tiger-crown-Steel-Square-Bread-Mold-with-Lid-baking-pan-2375-shipfree-from-Japan/143385827346?hash=item2162761812:g:UksAAOSwGKBdgNtw

or, just get some alum sheet cut&fold it up into any size you want....

Much cheaper here

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, heidih said:

Really cold here (45F). The no knead I made before bed is staring at me comatose. Miss my gas oven. 

That's a good thing about the Princessmobile: a gas oven. I love having a pilot light to keep the chamber just a bit warm! I was surprised when I discovered that my best friend's new gas oven does not have a pilot light. Some modern foolishness about efficiency, I suppose. Made it tough to proof bread at her place when it was cold.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

7 minutes ago, AlaMoi said:

the oven light bulb does a decent job of bread rising....

should work gas or electric.

As does a Catalan wife, insisting on an average room temperature of 25 oC (77 oF)...

• Delicious 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I resorted to a west facing bathroom with a very small window and 3 good sized heat lamp bulbs in the ceiling. Quite cozy in there.  Tet driving oven light as well but it is 50F in here..

Edited by heidih (log)

7 hours ago, Duvel said:

As does a Catalan wife, insisting on an average room temperature of 25 oC (77 oF)...

23andme says I'm not Catalan but my room thermometer says 77F.  Tell her "hi" for me.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Finally nailed the cran/raisin bread recipe that I've been working on.  The last one didn't rise.  At all.  It was like a brick.  I distinctly remember adding the yeast so I have no idea what went wrong.  I did test the yeast and it was fine, so it wasn't that.  I was a bit wary about trying it again but I made it again yesterday and it is perfect for our tastes.  The dough is made in the bread machine, but baked in the oven.  First in the CSO for 10 minutes on the bread setting then into the regular oven at 350 for 40 minutes or so, until done.

20210131_150012.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

1 minute ago, ElsieD said:

Finally nailed the cran/raisin bread recipe that I've been working on.  The last one didn't rise.  At all.  It was like a brick.  I distinctly remember adding the yeast so I have no idea what went wrong.  I did test the yeast and it was fine, so it wasn't that.  I was a bit wary about trying it again but I made it again yesterday and it is perfect for our tastes.  The dough is made in the bread machine, but baked in the oven.  First in the CSO for 10 minutes on the bread setting then into the regular oven at 350 for 40 minutes or so, until done.

20210131_150012.jpg

That's a very attractive looking loaf!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

trying out this trendy two-stage hydration for wet doughs. overnight room temp sourdough preferment, overnight cold bulk ferment with no salt, additional salt water added in the morning by folding it into the main dough. cheater baked in a covered pan. 

328E5E1E-8904-452F-BE98-AC001D948C65.thumb.jpeg.43897549f9fa08100ef574493178b9af.jpeg

88EE117E-3E66-4EB6-B53D-2DDB825A7825.thumb.jpeg.58b9c2973dbcb293c67af9fb5bf9ef69.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

theoretically both too much water and the presence of salt can negatively impact gluten development. how much does it really matter? ehh. but it's easy enough to do if you're already doing these long ferments; so you can just add it with more water later on after the gluten has been worked and get the advantages of both salt and a high hydration dough and still get a better structure.

• Like 2

Baked a "wee loaf" this morning for lunch sandwiches.  A couple of days ago I mixed 1 cup flour, 1/2 cup water, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1 1 /8 teaspoons instant yeast.  I stuck it in the fridge and this morning took it out and when ready, sprinkled it with some Maldon sea salt and baked it in a 7" round cake pan on the CSO bread setting for 30 minutes.  Turned out well, except for the bubble on top.

20210203_130348.jpg

20210203_130204.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

1625556743_SourdoughBouleFebruary3rd2021.thumb.jpg.f5fe62a128af2d83e54097f80147afdf.jpg
Sourdough Boule baked in a Dutch Oven.

Haven't made a pure sourdough loaf in a while. Mostly because I prefer the flavour of bread with the combination of a small amount of starter with a very small amount (1gram) of yeast.
But every so often I make a straight up sourdough. So Monday, I fed my starter and used 70g of the discard in a 500g batch and left it in the fridge for a 50 hour fermentation.   
1596632131_SourdoughBouleFebruary4thsliced.thumb.jpg.4219480c3fd614f91a20fb0e49ce7894.jpg
Sliced this morning. 
 I love being able to bake a loaf of bread with wild yeast that I "grew" myself. And both Moe and Matt love sourdough.
  • Like 14

9 minutes ago, jimb0 said:

broke down and bought a pullman. clearly need to use more next time if i’m gonna use a lean dough but what a delightfully light crust 

222AD13D-A6DF-435D-948B-29EA6038986B.jpeg

I like the crumb you got on that.  Care to share the recipe?

37 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I like the crumb you got on that.  Care to share the recipe?

so. 

i don't keep much of a starter going; i have a bowl that i scrape out daily and mix the new preferment in. it does a small amount of leavening but generally serves as a source of lactobacilli and some enzymes. for this i used 200g of a 1:1 preferment kept overnight at room temp. the next day i added approx. 550g of ap flour and 325g of water, which gives a hydration level of around 65%. worked the dough enough to mix things together but didn't do much more than that. this got put in the fridge until the next morning, when i added another 65-70g of water, 20g salt, and a pinch or two of yeast. this got poured on top of the dough and i folded the dough over, turning the bowl a quarter after each turn, until it felt like everything was together and fully absorbed. i did another series of folds every 30-60 minutes for a while, then let the dough proof. 

turned it into the pullman, let it proof a little longer, and baked at i think 425F until done.

• Thanks 1