• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2016–)

DianaM

I find that I have trouble finishing a loaf of bread before it spoils. I was thinking that maybe I could cook half a recipe and freeze the other half. Is there such a thing as a half loaf pan? 

TIA, Dan

use your second 1/2 for

1 ) croutons  in  a salad

2 ) fine crumbs to coat something you bake

3 ) and really really good  , a Bread salad itself

once yogurt the hang of this

you will bake two loafs at a time

as the second passing  of home made bread can be quite divine 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, dans said:

I find that I have trouble finishing a loaf of bread before it spoils. I was thinking that maybe I could cook half a recipe and freeze the other half. Is there such a thing as a half loaf pan? 

There are pans that are half as big by volume but usually those make tiny loaves in the normal shape, which probably isn't useful.

I might try using a 4" deep 1/6 hotel pan — it'd be slightly larger than half a normal loaf pan, but in the right squareish shape.

That said, is there a reason you don't just cut the baked loaf in half and freeze that? IME baked bread freezes better than unbaked dough.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dans said:

TIA, Dan

I usually bake bread in a 13" pain de mie pan.  Once cool, I slice the whole thing and put it in the freezer.  I then take out whatever no. of slices I need when I need it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

I usually bake bread in a 13" pain de mie pan.  Once cool, I slice the whole thing and put it in the freezer.  I then take out whatever no. of slices I need when I need it.

came to post this. especially if you enjoy toast there's essentially little to no quality loss. it actually holds up very well even for heating up to eat "fresh."

with that said, you could also bake half the amount of dough, just divided into small rolls or buns.

18 hours ago, rotuts said:

use your second 1/2 for

1 ) croutons  in  a salad

2 ) fine crumbs to coat something you bake

3 ) and really really good  , a Bread salad itself

once yogurt the hang of this

you will bake two loafs at a time

as the second passing  of home made bread can be quite divine 

Thanks.

But it doesn't

answer my

question

18 hours ago, dtremit said:

There are pans that are half as big by volume but usually those make tiny loaves in the normal shape, which probably isn't useful.

I might try using a 4" deep 1/6 hotel pan — it'd be slightly larger than half a normal loaf pan, but in the right squareish shape.

That said, is there a reason you don't just cut the baked loaf in half and freeze that? IME baked bread freezes better than unbaked dough.

I've never been a fan of frozen bread. Even as a kid I didn't like it.  Now fresh baked bread is ambrosia. I love the way it fills the house with aroma and it is so good to eat.

14 hours ago, jimb0 said:

came to post this. especially if you enjoy toast there's essentially little to no quality loss. it actually holds up very well even for heating up to eat "fresh."

with that said, you could also bake half the amount of dough, just divided into small rolls or buns.

I don't really care for round loaves (except for things like harvest bread). When you make a sandwich with a round loaf you wind up with 2 different sizes of bread. I know I could make it an oval shaped loaf but I'd like to explore regular shaped loaves first.

2 hours ago, dans said:

Thanks.

But it doesn't

answer my

question

So does your imaginary loaf pan have to be 4 by 4 instead of 4 by 8 or could it be just a much smaller pan - cause there's lots of those out there?

17 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

So does your imaginary loaf pan have to be 4 by 4 instead of 4 by 8 or could it be just a much smaller pan - cause there's lots of those out there?

How about this?

• Like 2

really just about any unenriched / lean dough will last for two weeks in the fridge imo. once you add starter or yeast, you've inoculated it and it will grow increasingly sour over time anyway.

6 hours ago, dans said:

I don't really care for round loaves (except for things like harvest bread). When you make a sandwich with a round loaf you wind up with 2 different sizes of bread. I know I could make it an oval shaped loaf but I'd like to explore regular shaped loaves first.

Cut slice from round loaf.  Cut slice in half.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Made three batches of dough this morning.
All with 500g of flour, 50g of starter and 1 gram of yeast, 16g of salt. At 72% hydration.
Two were identical and the third I added Kalamata olives during the stretch and folds.
After the final stretch and fold, one batch went into the fridge and is destined for pizza and the other two were left out on the counter to rise.
1825692591_January25thSameDayBakebaguettesandOliveBread.thumb.jpg.a8a4bab5b991bd14cc7f68fa5994a7eb.jpg

Baked late this afternoon, six baguettes and the olive bread baked in a DO.
265306167_January25thSameDayBakebaguettesandOliveBread5.thumb.jpg.0eb1d330efeff67f65ef15a2ebb8eede.jpg
Sliced the Olive bread while still slightly warm. Couldn't resists. 
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 3

On 1/24/2021 at 12:29 PM, dtremit said:

Their dough is designed to keep up to two weeks in the fridge.

OK, that makes sense. However, my problem isn't storing the leftover dough. That's the easy part. Baking off the first part is what I'd like to solve.