• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2016–)

DianaM

44 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Thank you, yes, I read that.  I'm trying once more tonight to see what happens.  The first batch got thrown out.  John said it smelled like cheese.  Not in a good way.

Sorry I missed the part where you said you had found the topic. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 12/6/2020 at 3:54 AM, weinoo said:

And if I could get @Ann_T to teach me how to make baguettes, when @Franci is done teaching me how to make pizza bianca, I'd be golden!

I don't think you need any help.  That loaf looks wonderful.  I bet it made great toast.  

135654535_DutchOvenRoundDecember7th2020.thumb.jpg.25f9996b5740733f551b9acf964bd259.jpg

Baked a large boule in a DO tonight and

655501312_DutchOvenRoundandSmallBouleCSODecember7th20201.thumb.jpg.a6dff950e5cab5da2c60475dc12c8bf5.jpg

a smaller boule in the CSO on the bread setting

Bread was from the same batch of dough as the pizzas made tonight.   Dough was give a 24 hour cold fermentation. 

487560697_DutchOvenRoundslicedDecember8th2020.thumb.jpg.18c985e920f151e5c5fc6825e071a02c.jpg

Edited to add - Sliced this morning. 

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 1

@Ann_T your bread always looks amazing, love the cutting boards too!

Sourdough bread, baked in Lodge cast iron. Next time, I'm going back to using the CSO - so much easier to use than dealing with heavy heated cast iron!

1896324770_IMG_6457-sourdoughloaf.jpg.fb5419a49950b33d66fd3e1bd8c5819f.jpg

1142399420_IMG_6465-sourdoughbreadcut.jpg.9fc6fbe1b920104bc6d4634163eaa9b8.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, curls said:

@Ann_T your bread always looks amazing, love the cutting boards too!

Sourdough bread, baked in Lodge cast iron. Next time, I'm going back to using the CSO - so much easier to use than dealing with heavy heated cast iron!

Thanks @curls.  I have to agree with you.  I very seldom bake in the DO. Just as easy to shape and bake directly on a stone in the CSO. Although I tend to bake

smaller loaves in the CSO.

• Like 1

I do bake my own no-knead and  in the past have done kneaded ones. I love what @David Lebovitz said today about why he prefers to walk to the bakery (of course he is in Paris). He quotes Apollonia Poilane   “Bread likes being baked together.” So who am I to break up a baguette party?

Is that the secret to the beautiful multiple loaves from @Ann_T ?  Put a smile on my face.

• Like 4

Started two 500g batches of dough on Tuesday. 80% hydration. Both went into the fridge for a cold fermentation.

One taken out yesterday afternoon for pizza.

1119002706_BaguettesDecember16th2020.thumb.jpg.d083e4d0cef6671280a9ed3438ce138e.jpg

Enough dough left to bake two small baguettes. Baked both together on a stone in the CSO.

886250103_BaguetteslicedDecember17th2020.thumb.jpg.e451de09ef3d7190f55bd3517886d41c.jpg

Sliced this morning. 

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

• 2 weeks later...

i ordered some local “cooking pears” from the local organic delivery service and hey were definitely too ugly to do much else with, haha. chopped up peel and all into the vitamix, a bit too much sugar, and cooked until soft a brown. i stirred in a knob of butter just to make it a little creamy. 

i was going to stir in some spices but the pear flavour was honestly too nice to dilute. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jimb0 said:

i ordered some local “cooking pears” from the local organic delivery service and hey were definitely too ugly to do much else with, haha. chopped up peel and all into the vitamix, a bit too much sugar, and cooked until soft a brown. i stirred in a knob of butter just to make it a little creamy. 

i was going to stir in some spices but the pear flavour was honestly too nice to dilute. 

Nice. I had 2 ancient pear trees with pretty ugly fruit but baked with butter and a touch of sugar they were special. My neighbor persuaded me to add just a hint of cardamom.  Have not had such flavorful pears since.  Image of one of the old trees

pears.JPG

• Like 7

16 hours ago, heidih said:

Nice. I had 2 ancient pear trees with pretty ugly fruit but baked with butter and a touch of sugar they were special. My neighbor persuaded me to add just a hint of cardamom.  Have not had such flavorful pears since.  Image of one of the old trees

pears.JPG

How I miss the pears from my grandparents farm.  They were tiny, hard, and had a truly astringent quality.  But they made the best pear preserves I've ever eaten in my life.  

• Like 3

16 hours ago, heidih said:

pears.JPG

Those look a lot like the "pineapple pears" that grew at my family home. Like @Kim Shook said, not much for eating out of hand (very hard and grainy), but made wonderful pear preserves. I never spiced them, either; just fruit and sugar, cooked and cooked and cooked and cooked....

I make them with Bartletts, now, but they're not the same.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

i love how orange they became when cooked up. 

last night i made a loaf of bread for the so for toast this week. i’ve been using scissors to cut rando lines in loaves lately and kind of enjoy the way this, er, armadilloaf turned out. 

B5C12E1C-FF64-42F2-B169-C5CF8E3A84FD.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 2

Just now, jimb0 said:

i love how orange they became when cooked up. 

last night i made a loaf of bread for the so for toast this week. i’ve been using scissors to cut rando lines in loaves lately and kind of enjoy the way this, er, armadilloaf turned out. 

Yes almost quince like.

Does your armadillo snip methode give you more enjoyable crusty bits?

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

How I miss the pears from my grandparents farm.  They were tiny, hard, and had a truly astringent quality.  But they made the best pear preserves I've ever eaten in my life.  

Probably would make good perry as well.

Some of the pears considered to produce consistently excellent perry include the Barland, Brandy, Thorn, and Yellow Huffcap cultivars.[9] Compared to cider apples, perry pears have fewer volatile components and consequently fewer aromatics in the finished product.[11] Their tannin profile is very different from that of cider apples, with a predominance of astringent over bitter flavours

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

First try at gluten-free sandwich bread, per ATK's How Can It Be Gluten Free?  It was acceptable. I thought it was going to be leaden, but it baked up lighter than I expected.

20201231_172851.thumb.jpg.a78fb71b583675709d09ea7a9ad828be.jpg

I was a bit surprised by the almost whole-wheat appearance. Not sure if that's from the psyllium husk or from the oat flour. The bulk of the flour was King Arthur GF flour, a blend of white rice, brown rice, potato starch and tapioca flours.

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 4
  • Delicious 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

likely the psyllium (and brown rice, come to think of it). i use it a lot because i don’t eat very many carbs at all, so most bread is off limits. it generally leaves food a bit speckled in appearance. can add a lovely stretch to things though. 

Edited by jimb0 (log)

I need to work on my shaping & scoring, but i haven't made baguettes in a while. This was from 250 g flour T55 and 10% red fife flour (high protien whole wheat) 75% hydration. Very happy with the thin crunchy crust and flavor. 

30ED975C-A1C0-4A3B-B4B4-5D46FF521734.jpeg

4462FB1D-AF1F-4463-B02F-A364434FD4C4.jpeg

012392BE-5E4F-4A26-92DA-4C33C39A5BEA.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1