• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2016–)

DianaM

On 6/5/2020 at 5:59 PM, Franci said:

@weinoo, so here it is the recipe

Pizza in teglia alla romana. 

440g all purpose flour, use any you have available, don’t use something too rich in protein, unless you plan to keep the dough multiple days in the fridge. 
329 g water cold
12 g salt 
8 g extra virgin olive oil 
3 g instant yeast (I use SAF)

Add all the flour and the water in the mixer. Start the mixer, using the flat beater,  and mix on low until all flour is wet. No dry flour at the bottom. 

Take the bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate half an hour to 1 ½ hours. 

Start again the mixer on low and let it go for 2 minutes. Add the yeast and increase the speed of one more level and let it go for other 2 minutes. Increase the speed one more time and let it go other 2 minutes. Add the salt, and increase the speed and let it go again other 2 minutes, adding slowly the oil at the end. I am attaching a photo of how the dough looked when done. 

Transfer to the counter, let it sit for a couple minutes and “close” the dough by hand. I do some slap and folds and make a round  boule. The technique in Italian to create tension in a round dough is called pirlatura, in Spanish is called bolear el pan, in English, I don’t know (is there a name for it?).  Put in a lightly oil container, let it sit 30 minutes to one hour (depending on how hot it is) and then transfer to the fridge. You can take it out the same day 3-4 hours before baking or the day after, still taking it out 3-4 hours before baking.  When it’s out I portion it and give 2 sets of folds. For this quantity I use 650g of the teglia (I use a perforated half sheet pan) and I have a little dough left (120-130g) that I keep for a mini pizza the day after. For the folds, I use the technique of this guy: start watching at 16:47. I do 2 sets of these folds about 15 minutes apart before putting in a container with the cover oiled, just as he does. Let it rise at room temperature. After about 2 1/2 hours, I start preheating the oven 550F with stone function in my oven. At about 3 hours or depending on the rising, I spread in the tray, I use this technique. Note: the size of the container she uses to rise the dough is important. And also the flour she uses in the tray is durum (some people mix also durum and rice flour), I found that I bought Bob’s red Mill 100% stone Ground whole wheat organic flour (it was the only flour left at the moment and I don’t like it for baking except in very small quantity but perfect for dusting! Doesn’t burn much). I spray oil on the pizza in the pan (I have a chocolate gun) and bake at the very bottom of the oven 8 minutes total at 550F when is “bianca”, no tomato, no other stuff, just oil. I turn the tray at 4 minutes. Never open before because it’s when you get all the bubbles. 

D271FD1A-D2EC-46EE-B833-445A0F88CF4D.jpeg

@ElsieD, same recipe as here. I think I am getting better with handling the dough and spreading it. Edit to add: I am keeping it for multiple days in the fridge, with whichever flour I have in the house. I use the same dough for bread or pizza napoletana (which I am cooking with the mix method of pan and broiler), I love how easy is this dough to make. 

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Adding a picture of another dough I have in the fridge. I made a double batch yesterday. I think in the past,  I wasn’t  letting the dough rise enough before putting it in the fridge/my previous house fridge was cooler, my house was cooler, not enough yeast for what I needed, or a combination. When the dough is out of the fridge, after a series of folds need to rise in 3 hours, if not check the yeast quantities and folding and closing the dough. 

2086BFE8-F3E9-4E56-A35C-B5EC8A64E6E8.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yesterday evening, the dough from the refrigerator was divided into 5 balls (150g each). I kept them covered in single containers in the fridge. Took them out from the fridge 1 and half hour before cooking them today. 

Cooked 4 pizzas with the combo method. I use a debuyer crepe pan on the stove and the pizza steel under the broiler to finish. 

25D1B6FD-A79D-4B19-883E-FA621DA5FF4E.jpeg

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 3

On 10/23/2020 at 1:28 PM, Franci said:

Yesterday evening, the dough from the refrigerator was divided into 5 balls (150g each). I kept them covered in single containers in the fridge. Took them out from the fridge 1 and half hour before cooking them today. 

Cooked 4 pizzas with the combo method. I use a debuyer crepe pan on the stove and the pizza steel under the broiler to finish. 

25D1B6FD-A79D-4B19-883E-FA621DA5FF4E.jpeg

perfection.

this year i was lazy and only made eight rolls out of a normal batch of dough for first thanksgiving. i think i'll just do it this way from now on; anyone who eats one dinner roll is probably going to eat two, anyway :V 

Capture2.PNG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It's several months since I baked bread, and yesterday for a variety of reasons I was none too sure there was any baking mojo left in my life. Nonetheless I'd been asked to bring bread for a dinner party. I went with a straight - lean dough no-knead recipe from Peter Reinhart's bread baking course, with some of the last herbs from my garden mixed in. At the last minute I decided to forget the steam and use my cast iron Dutch Oven as the baking vessel, per Jim Lahey. That works a treat for oven spring and color!

20201025_170851.jpeg

The crumb was good and open, though I didn't get a shot of that. The bottom was a bit tough, but that may have been their bread knife. Figuring out how to get a good crust without having too tough a base is a project for this winter. Overall, I was pleased. They liked it too...but unfortunately the other host had decided on cheesy biscuits to go with dinner! That was a very carb-heavy meal. 🤣

• Like 15
  • Delicious 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Bread10272020.png

This boule strains credulity as well as the dimensions of my Boos block.  Two hour final proof.  It was a test of what I could bake in the APO.  Final weight after cooling 1.313 kg.  Maybe I could make a miche.  But I call close enough.

Sliced10272020.png

No complaints about the taste.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Like 11

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 2 weeks later...

Bread11092020.png

1295g -- another near miche.  Height is 4.5 inches.  I'm still playing with my scoring.

Baking was in the APO on a baking steel, 245C full steam for 20 minutes, 245C no steam for 10 minutes.  Modernist Bread times and temperature.

• Like 7

I haven't baked bread, well other than pizza for a while. But i used to do it fairly regularly. Also i can badly keep plants alive forget animals or Sourdough starter -so i terms to favor other pre-ferments. Well  recently I  picked up the somewhat  controversial Poilaine book. The first thing that riles people up is using yogurt to start the starter ( i used Bellwether farms) and it did work i do have to say. The other thing is that this is an adapted recipe for home cooks not what they do in France. I tweaked the formula a bit too more closely match the T80 flour they use in the bakery. Over all of came out well  although i under proofed it out of nervousness. I might add a  bit of rye to more closely match the flavor i remember but not bad. 

BD4DF2CC-D21B-4C9C-8443-C4DD40CE5F32.jpeg

23201A86-AA53-4DD3-A94C-15FB7E4B5D3F.jpeg

• Like 9

@Franci, I keep coming back to look at your pizza with just the herbs and tomato sauce.   Makes my mouth water.  And your crust is perfection.

2061826850_BaguettesandBoulesNovember13th2020.thumb.jpg.fb779f008c80d363b127b6b13022f283.jpg

Yesterday's bake. Same day.

Last loaf came out of the oven around 9:00 PM and I started the dough in the morning around 5:30 AM.
Discard from sourdough feed and 2g of yeast. 1000g flour at 80%. Left it out all day while I was at work and it was ready to go when I got home.
Four baguettes and two boules.
1028765413_BaguettesandBoulesNovember13th20201.thumb.jpg.b2406abfc8b8330e3ff82a531d825f98.jpg
Sliced this morning. 

@Shelby, I owe you a big thank you.  Wednesday, I went looking for your instructions on fixing the CSO.  Your directions with photos were easy to follow.

For a while now, I was only able to use the Bread setting to bake one loaf before it would start to beep saying it needed water, even though there was a full tank.  I would have to switch to convection bake.
Last night was the first chance I had to test the fix.   I was able to baked all six loaves using my method of starting the loaves on the Bread setting for 12 minutes and then transferring to the Oster so I could start the next loaf.  Cuts the baking time in half with this method.    Oven performed perfectly.
Thank you again.    
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

@Franci, I keep coming back to look at your pizza with just the herbs and tomato sauce.   Makes my mouth water.  And your crust is perfection.

2061826850_BaguettesandBoulesNovember13th2020.thumb.jpg.fb779f008c80d363b127b6b13022f283.jpg

Yesterday's bake. Same day.

Last loaf came out of the oven around 9:00 PM and I started the dough in the morning around 5:30 AM.
Discard from sourdough feed and 2g of yeast. 1000g flour at 80%. Left it out all day while I was at work and it was ready to go when I got home.
Four baguettes and two boules.
1028765413_BaguettesandBoulesNovember13th20201.thumb.jpg.b2406abfc8b8330e3ff82a531d825f98.jpg
Sliced this morning. 

@Shelby, I owe you a big thank you.  Wednesday, I went looking for your instructions on fixing the CSO.  Your directions with photos were easy to follow.

For a while now, I was only able to use the Bread setting to bake one loaf before it would start to beep saying it needed water, even though there was a full tank.  I would have to switch to convection bake.
Last night was the first chance I had to test the fix.   I was able to baked all six loaves using my method of starting the loaves on the Bread setting for 12 minutes and then transferring to the Oster so I could start the next loaf.  Cuts the baking time in half with this method.    Oven performed perfectly.
Thank you again.    

I'm so happy it helped you! :) 

• Like 1

Experimental bread this week — the Baker's Grain Sourdough from KAF. I was intrigued by the idea of a yeasted sandwich loaf incorporating sourdough discard.

Initially I hoped I could make it entirely in the bread machine, but when I saw how thick the dough was I immediately realized that I was going to have to do some hand shaping. Switched to the dough cycle, and ended up adding a bit more water to the dough. (I really wish all recipes that called for sourdough starter would explicitly list the percentage hydration.)

I don't have a long covered baker like that, so I shaped it into a rough boule and put it in my Lodge combo cooker for the final proof.

I overproofed it a little — busy day yesterday, and I sort of guessed in the middle of their 1-2 hour range and forgot to check. But it came out well regardless. (This isn't as flat as it looks; it's a 10" round.) Very moist tender crumb, just about perfect for a PB&J.

If I make it again, I will probably back off on the yeast, and I might pre-soak the grain mix; the rolled oats ended up a little tough. But definitely worth exploring further.

IMG_3545.thumb.jpg.e1404db7c2dc177503d3c4a0cf078e72.jpgIMG_3544.thumb.jpg.26f469e5365cad4bda1e93d832bedfb4.jpg

• Like 6

Today's bake.
151496810_BaguettesNovember23rd2020.thumb.jpg.b18dab31493387c97e4b3d54a2bfe89e.jpg

Started a 1000g batch of dough at 72% hydration, after I got home from work last night. After the last stretch and fold I put the dough container outside on the porch. Like when it is cold enough that I don't have to find room in the fridge for the big container.
Brought it in early this morning at 3:00 AM and left it to warm up and finish rising. Baked seven baguettes.
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 2

I try and get a head of the game and have a few extra baguettes in the freezer so on weeks that I don't bake we don't run out.

I work from Thursday to Sunday so I try and bake on at least one of my days off. 

I was complete out before baking on Monday and I knew Monday's bake wasn't going to last until next week so I baked again yesterday.

267063351_November25thBaguetteBake.thumb.jpg.b31dfda6af4b3a90ba8bb78e7c271fd8.jpg

8 baguettes,

1160260605_November25thBaguetteBake1.thumb.jpg.3d7c4d32dfbb6788cb188b81cf481d99.jpg

six regular and two cheddar. 

• Like 9
  • Delicious 3

Tagine bread...

TagineBread11272020.png

I started from @Wolfert's Marrakech tagine bread recipe.  This is a soft semolina loaf.

First I converted @Wolfert's cups to grams.  Then I added a preferment.  I replaced the olive oil with butter.  This is what I came up with.

Preferment:

King Arthur Organic All Purpose  120g

water 120g

yeast  1/32 teaspoon (approximate)

Dough:

semolina 410g

water 300g

yeast 1.5 teaspoon

Diamond salt 1.5 teaspoon

sugar 1.5 teaspoon

butter 3 tablespoons

preferment (above)

First ferment:

15 minutes

Divide:

4 loaves

Second ferment:

45 minutes

Bake:

brush with butter, 210C, 20 minutes, no steam

This gives an hydration close to 80%.  Unfortunately my dough was more like batter.  In retrospect I measured the water weight as the semolina weight (410g).  Yes, the weights were written down in front of me.  I recovered by adding additional flour until I arrived at something like a dough.  Turned out OK.  Very good, even.

• Like 5

This might be considered an absurdly, stupidly basic baking question:  when baking a hearth bread that has been brushed with butter, how do you prevent butter from running off the edge of your baking steel?*

I'm getting tired of putting the baking steel through the dishwasher.

*"Level the oven" is not a valid answer.

• Haha 1