• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2016–)

DianaM

On 7/11/2020 at 2:38 PM, heidih said:

I was catching up on The New Yorker (June 22) and read about Bien Cuit. I so need to up my bread game  https://www.biencuit.com/  Heidi lose the California carb fear

I know Bien Cuit very well. I was renting my kitchen at the corner from them. 20 second walk. And I lived in the neighborhood. Not saying that their stuff is not good, far away from it, but with all my friends in the neighborhood (especially the French) we had a nickname for them 🤣🤣🤣 Trop cuit. I’ve always preferred Runner & Stone  over Trop Cuit, not to talk about their prices. 

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Haha 2

I was making the dough for KAF's Sourdough multi grain sandwich bread yesterday and while I usually use my bread proofer, it had already been packed for moving day.

So I used the old-fashioned method I used to use which was to boil a cup of water in the m/w and put the loaf inside to rise.  It was perfect.   Now I don't know why I ever stopped using this means.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Banh mi rolls from Andrea Nguyen's Banh Mi Handbook.  Recipe online here. These are just out of the oven.  Haven't tried them yet. I think they're a bit overbaked.  

Darker than what I am used to but I think I'd love them. Report back. 

3 hours ago, heidih said:

Darker than what I am used to but I think I'd love them. Report back. 

As you observed, they are overbaked.

3F17F112-1D37-46A9-AA56-EA30C4497215_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.9de4684143fad4be873cfdcb6a3b0638.jpeg

I'm OK with this result as a first pass.   I'll work on the time & temp next time but these are not inedible and will be eaten.  

• Like 9

Haven't baked in a couple of weeks.  Been too hot.

113989028_BoulesAugust4th2020.thumb.jpg.bec3335124d02b061641437b00dd2680.jpg

Yesterday's bake. 

879918881_BoulesAugust4th20201.thumb.jpg.3ed58bdf10d1e4d1b73dc0e1de98428f.jpg

Boules instead of baguettes.

Same day bake.  Fed my starters which hadn't be fed in weeks.   Used 40g of unfed starter and two grams of yeast, in one 750g batch for pizza and the same in a 1000g batch for the bread.

Dough made in the morning and left on the counter for a slow rise until early evening. 

• Like 12

Yesterday's bake.  Started early in the day with just 40g of discard and 2g of yeast in 1200g of flour at 78% hydration.

Slow rise until 6:30 PM.  Last loaf was out of the oven just after 9:00 PM.  

Three boules, three baguettes and enough dough saved for Matt himself a pizza today.

831222984_BaguettesandBoulesAugust11th20201.thumb.jpg.d894932b7c90048b43d78f40a9520ecd.jpg

Sliced this morning. 

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally getting back to doing some baking after the long spells of 95F days have subsided. Still mostly sticking to the Breville though.

I picked up a copy of "New World Sourdough" by Bryan Ford (aka Artisan Bryan) — so far I am really enjoying it.

In a fit of randomness, the first recipe I made was...pita bread. I blame an Instagram video of puffing pita for luring me in. Having sourdough flavor in pita is interesting -- eaten alone it's really prominent in the bread, but using it for sandwiches and the like it's not super obvious. On the upside, it does seem to *keep* like sourdough -- even after a few days it has not dried out. Used up the last loaf with some menemen for breakfast this morning -- half of it toasted with olive oil and the fancy za'atar I mentioned in the salad dressing thread.

I also tried the Choco Pan de Coco -- but stupidly I forgot to add the brown sugar, which honestly it really needed. It's not bad, and the texture's perfect, but a sour chocolate bread is not *exactly* my thing. Next time I think I will try the non-chocolate version from his website and use dark brown sugar for flavor.

My Zojirushi bread machine — which has been our quarantine workhorse — is also back in production after some technical difficulties. I tried to mix a too stiff dough in it a few weeks back and I think it was the last straw for the "bearing" on one of the mixing shafts. I put it in quotes because they don't actually use bearings -- the shafts are just pins connected to the belt drive pulleys that stick through the cast aluminum piece that holds the bread pan. One of them appears to have completely seized in place. Fortunately I was able to find a replacement pulley assembly from eBay, because *no one* has bread machines in stock right now. I can't complain too much, though -- I bought the thing used for $85 two years ago, and I have no idea how long it sat unused before that. And we've used it a couple of times a week since.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, dtremit said:

I also tried the Choco Pan de Coco -- but stupidly I forgot to add the brown sugar, which honestly it really needed. It's not bad, and the texture's perfect, but a sour chocolate bread is not *exactly* my thing. Next time I think I will try the non-chocolate version from his website and use dark brown sugar for flavor.

You might want to try Nancy Silverton's chocolate sourdough cherry bread. People went into mourning when it was no longer at the bakery   https://community.fornobravo.com/forum/brick-oven-cooking/hearth-bread-and-flatbread/9967-chocolate-cherry-sourdough-bread

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Thanks 1

I made the dough Wednesday morning before leaving for work.
1200g batch with discard from sourdough feed, plus just 1g of yeast. Left on the counter for a long slow rise.
Baked Wednesday night. 
1400987575_SourdoughYeastbakeAugust26th20202.thumb.jpg.c821996dbbfbb4d0730060f10690ac9f.jpg
Three boules, and four baguettes and gave Matt enough dough for a full size pizza.
Sliced yesterday morning. 

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

Thrilled to finally get an ear on a loaf of sourdough! Love baking it in the CSO vs. a dutch oven. The next time I bake multiple loaves, I am planning to try @Ann_T's trick of starting the loaves in the CSO and then moving them to a larger oven to finish baking (so that the top of the loaf is farther from the heating element).

850006792_IMG_6259-2020July27-sourdoughbread.jpg.bcb189ec876f5c43f47ba3aac8be8dee.jpg 161992172_IMG_6273-2020July27-sourdoughbread-sliced.thumb.jpg.3b429acc4aec76801abb4bf0b9702166.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

20 minutes ago, BeeZee said:

I would just tear the "ear flap" off that slice, love a well done crust!

I also love a well done crust! I was quite offended (not really) when my husband suggested that it was burned... not even close to burned... that is flavor!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 8/5/2020 at 9:00 AM, Ann_T said:

Haven't baked in a couple of weeks.  Been too hot.

113989028_BoulesAugust4th2020.thumb.jpg.bec3335124d02b061641437b00dd2680.jpg

Yesterday's bake. 

879918881_BoulesAugust4th20201.thumb.jpg.3ed58bdf10d1e4d1b73dc0e1de98428f.jpg

Boules instead of baguettes.

Same day bake.  Fed my starters which hadn't be fed in weeks.   Used 40g of unfed starter and two grams of yeast, in one 750g batch for pizza and the same in a 1000g batch for the bread.

Dough made in the morning and left on the counter for a slow rise until early evening. 

I need some feedback.  If I was going to make a nut and seed bread, would I use your basic dough recipe?  Or with the fruit and nuts do I need to change the water to flour ratio?

4 hours ago, David Ross said:

I need some feedback.  If I was going to make a nut and seed bread, would I use your basic dough recipe?  Or with the fruit and nuts do I need to change the water to flour ratio?

@David Ross, I have been using 75% to 80% and never found the need to make adjustments for water or flour.

• Like 1