• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2016–)

DianaM

25 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Anyone use one of these to mix doughs?

2144423650_DoughmixerIMG_1286.jpeg.fe98a0bfd270aeaccf60ddcffc0a31de.jpeg

I find it works very well for that initial mixing of no-knead, or almost no-knead breads.

Yes, I have two of them, in two different sizes.  I don't use them for bread, but I use them all the time for muffins.  I was gobsmacked by how well they work.

26 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I find it works very well for that initial mixing of no-knead, or almost no-knead breads.

I have the smaller one that I use all the time for mixing dry ingredients for all kinds of bread-making.  I wouldn't part with it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kayb said:

FYI. I ordered a pound of yeast on Amazon this morning, with delivery scheduled June 22. SAF-Instant, $10.49 a pound.

Ouch.  A pound of SAF here is $3.99.  Plenty available.

15 minutes ago, lindag said:

Ouch.  A pound of SAF here is $3.99.  Plenty available.

The cost of "free shipping" is not well hidden on a lot of Amazon grocery items. Really it's $3.99 for the yeast and $6.50 to get it to you.

Not always a bad deal for a single item, but if you can scrape together a minimum order other outlets are almost always cheaper.

Edited by dtremit (log)
  • Like 1

I am apparently determined to screw up my bread today.  I'm trying to make an ATK Sandwich loaf which I've made 100 times.  Mr. Kim found some KA bread flour.  First, I accidentally mixed the yeast into the flour/salt mixture instead of the warm water/milk/butter/honey mixture.  So I ended up dumping 16 oz. flour, which I may not have had to do, but I didn't want to take a chance.  Then I basically cooked the dough on the first rise.  This recipe calls for heating the oven to 200F and leaving it on for 10 minutes, then turning off.  Meanwhile, you are preparing the dough.  After getting the dough ready in the bowl for the first rise, you put it in the oven.  I realized when I went to take the dough out of the oven that I'd never turned it off of 200F.😠  It is now in the CSO for it's second rising.  We'll see, I guess.  

• Sad 3

On 6/16/2020 at 8:20 AM, weinoo said:

It's a Danish dough hook no?

I am sure this came up at certain point but  can we talk again about deflating baos? I made 24 today. The first batch of 12 deflated, the second batch no.  These are the second batch, sorry I didn’t think of taking a picture of the first. I think first has to do with the strength of the steam and second of letting the bread rest covered right after cooking. I big change in temperature from outside the basket lifting the cover immediately will make the breads deflate. But let’s say I need the baskets because the second batch will over rise...tricks, thoughts? 

7DDAF46A-76B2-46EC-B3C0-4F1CA3FF3200.jpeg

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 1
  • Delicious 1

2 hours ago, Franci said:

I am sure this came up at certain point but  can we talk again about deflating baos? I made 24 today. The first batch of 12 deflated, the second batch no.  These are the second batch, sorry I didn’t think of taking a picture of the first. I think first has to do with the strength of the steam and second of letting the bread rest covered right after cooking. I big change in temperature from outside the basket lifting the cover immediately will make the breads deflate. But let’s say I need the baskets because the second batch will over rise...tricks, thoughts? 

7DDAF46A-76B2-46EC-B3C0-4F1CA3FF3200.jpeg

I made a batch of boa recently that wrinkled and deflated (somewhat).  I asked a friend for advice and she thought I left them in the CSO too long.  As I recall I had steamed mine for 20 minutes.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 6/11/2020 at 10:00 AM, Ann_T said:

@curls, that boule is a real beauty.  Love that golden rich colour of the crust. 

Started two batches of dough Monday morning. One was a 600g at 80% destined for pizza Monday night and the other a 1000g flour batch at 72%.  Both were

made just from discard.  The pizza batch had the discard from the white starter with 2g of yeast and the 1000g batch had the discard from the

rye starter discard, along with 2g of yeast.    

Made three pizzas on Monday night, plus one small baguette, and left the other batch out of the counter for 17 hours and baked yesterday morning before leaving for work.

1313716755_baguettesdiscardand2gyeast17hourfermentationJune9thJune10th.thumb.jpg.79a709c615b56bef94d5310b9eea7ae3.jpg

Started each loaf off in the steam oven (bread setting)  and after 10 minutes moved to the Oster to finish baking. 

607067141_baguettesdiscardand2gyeast17hourfermentationJune9thJune10th4.thumb.jpg.4669ff6a013ba2e5636f38783d244e2e.jpg

Baked 8 baguettes in half the time using this method. 

Where do all the loaves end up?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

32 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Where do all the loaves end up?

@weinoo,  No one ever turns down a fresh baked baguette.   So some are given away and one or two gets kept out to be eaten within a day or two and the rest are frozen.  Bread freezes well.  I wrap the loaves in paper towels and freeze in ziplock freezer bags.  Have been doing this for years.

Warmed up in the CSO they are almost as good as fresh baked.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

On 6/16/2020 at 8:20 AM, weinoo said:

I've been using them for many years. I have two sizes, one longer and two a bit shorter.  I bought one at Solvang, CA in the mid-1980s - actually 1984. During the Olympics the Beverly Hills Kennel Club had to relocate their summer dog show to Buelton and we moved our Basenji Club specialty show there also. Since it was close to Solvang, many of us went there for dining and to shop. One kitchen shop had an impressive selection of baking implements and I bought several.

I have posted about them several times. I use them to mix the dough for my scones or biscuits, cookie dough and very stiff rye doughs.  Also to blend the fruit and nut mixtures that I use to make sugarplums.  

"

...This is what is known as a "Danishwhisk" and is ideal for mixing quick breads as it mixes the ingredients rapidly without working the batter too much. This is particularly useful with regular wheat flour batters where you do not want to develop the gluten. It is easy to grasp, for those of us...
Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

10 hours ago, Ann_T said:

@weinoo,  No one ever turns down a fresh baked baguette.   So some are given away and one or two gets kept out to be eaten within a day or two and the rest are frozen.  Bread freezes well.  I wrap the loaves in paper towels and freeze in ziplock freezer bags.  Have been doing this for years.

Warmed up in the CSO they are almost as good as fresh baked.

Oh yes, the freezing part I'm aware of. As well as me never turning down a fresh baked baguette. I'm just thinking you must give away a lot of baguettes, or have a freezer the size of a Mack truck.

54 minutes ago, andiesenji said:

I've been using them for many years. I have two sizes, one longer and two a bit shorter.  I bought one at Solvang, CA in the mid-1980s - actually 1984. During the Olympics the Beverly Hills Kennel Club had to relocate their summer dog show to Buelton and we moved our Basenji Club specialty show there also. Since it was close to Solvang, many of us went there for dining and to shop. One kitchen shop had an impressive selection of baking implements and I bought several.

I have posted about them several times. I use them to mix the dough for my scones or biscuits, cookie dough and very stiff rye doughs.  Also to blend the fruit and nut mixtures that I use to make sugarplums.  

"

...This is what is known as a "Danishwhisk" and is ideal for mixing quick breads as it mixes the ingredients rapidly without working the batter too much. This is particularly useful with regular wheat flour batters where you do not want to develop the gluten. It is easy to grasp, for those of us...

A: did you enjoy ableskivers on your Solvang jaunts?

B: I'm worried (because of it's construction) my Danishwhisk will fall apart after not too many uses. Like the metal part will detach from the wooden handle. That hasn't to your's, evidently.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

I think the main particulate matter in the air around Solvang is powdered sugar.  I'll skip and head to wine tasting.

5 hours ago, weinoo said:

Oh yes, the freezing part I'm aware of. As well as me never turning down a fresh baked baguette. I'm just thinking you must give away a lot of baguettes, or have a freezer the size of a Mack truck.

@weinoo, remember I'm baking these baguettes in the CS0, so they are smaller.   between 12" and 13" long.   Most of the baguettes are eaten as toast.    Or split for sandwiches.  Perfect size for two people. 

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

I want one of those whisks.  Should I get the wooden handle one or the stainless steel handle?

After Wednesday’s utter failure with bread I’ve made many times, I had a great success with my first time making @mgaretz challah recipe.  I wasn’t sure I was going to, though.  After the first punch down:

IMG_2536.jpg.9996564f9cd5090970e4a5ae78fd53d0.jpg

And after the second rise:

IMG_2537.thumb.jpg.c9ab4f3650c4397ab9f513199e1c9e18.jpg

I really thought it wasn’t risen enough and gave it another half hour, which didn’t change things substantially.  But after dividing and braiding and doing the final rise, it looked better.  The loaf:

IMG_2539.jpg.9c329457558c1ece88051a99809ca4ed.jpg

I overcooked it slightly (210F), but the bread tastes marvelous and has a lovely crumb:

IMG_2540.jpg.ebd9626a1ed15b259aba6a9367091421.jpg

Thank you so much, @mgaretz, I’m thrilled with it.

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

I recently made KAF’s recipe for English Muffins and remembered that I’d bought a pastry fork a while back.

Turns out it’s ideal for fork-splitting these muffins.

The recipe, by the way is wonderful

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F7JXK6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here’s mine:  

88E61EE9-7FC3-4653-8CF3-FC921EFFA62E.jpeg

BF1CACCF-1C00-45D9-BCD7-A17964BCBC3A.jpeg

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, weinoo said:

B: I'm worried (because of it's construction) my Danishwhisk will fall apart after not too many uses. Like the metal part will detach from the wooden handle. That hasn't to your's, evidently.

I still am using the one I bought in Solvang in 1984 and it shows no sign of coming apart.  It has been used thousands of times since then.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

24 minutes ago, lindag said:

I recently made KAF’s recipe for English Muffins and remembered that I’d bought a pastry fork a while back.

Turns out it’s ideal for fork-splitting these muffins.

The recipe, by the way is wonderful

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F7JXK6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here’s mine:  

88E61EE9-7FC3-4653-8CF3-FC921EFFA62E.jpeg

BF1CACCF-1C00-45D9-BCD7-A17964BCBC3A.jpeg

Where's the English muffin?

• Like 1

I have one of the wooden-handled Danish whisks, too.  I've had it for quite a few years and use it for pancakes, waffles, muffins & quick breads.  It is pretty amazing how well it works since it looks like a piece of twisted wire coat hanger on a stick.  No signs of coming apart here. 

• Like 1