• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2016–)

DianaM

6 hours ago, ptw1953 said:

Sourdough pizza. Work needed on the shaping, and the topping (home-made passata, spicy chorizo, spring onions, mozzarella and basil). We enjoyed eating it immensely...

Sourdough pizza 2....jpg

Pizza at the keyboard.  You are brave.

And @Desiderio -- no screen licking in lockdown.

• Haha 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

What's App message last evening from my daughter-in-law; 'Can you make us a loaf of bread please. We have no flour, and there's none in Sainsburys.'

Up at 6am, breakfast, then began mixing the dough for a Pain de Mie. finished baking it at 9am. Cooling down as I type, and I'm willing to bet that no one will pick it up until later today...

Pain de Mie 20th of April 2020....jpg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 2

Well, my daughter-in-law came down with my grandsons, and took the bread away. Was good to see the boys, even at a distance. She needs a new knife. It looks as though she cut the loaf with a blunt chainsaw...

The crumb:

Pan de Mie crumb 20th April 2020....jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 7

@ElsieD I am more than happy to share my recipe. It is an amalgam of various Pain de Mie recipes I have attempted over the years.

I use a 13" Pullman Pan with a lid to bake the bread in, but have used a 10" pan with a lid, and just reduced all the ingredients by one third: It came out well.

Pre-heat your oven to 250c (mine is fan-assisted, so that is probably 270c in a non fan-assisted oven, I think)

Ingredients:

15g  Unsalted butter, cut into small cubes

30g  Fresh yeast (as fresh yeast is extremely scarce here at the moment, I now use 17g of Dried Active Yeast)

750g  Strong white flour

15g   Salt

75ml  Full-fat milk

450ml  Water, boiled and cooled to 99F/37c

If using the fresh yeast, rub it and the butter into the flour. Then add to your mixer bowl, with the salt, water and milk. Mix at speed 2 for 5 minutes, until the dough comes away from the sides of the bowl.

If using the Dried Active Yeast, add 50ml of the water to it, and leave for 5 minutes until frothy. Rub the butter into the flour, then add to the mixer bowl with the remaining water, milk and salt. Mix at speed 2 for 5 minutes, until the dough comes away from the sides of the bowl.

Empty the dough into a proving bowl, cover with cling-film, and leave to prove until doubled in size. (this takes only 1 hour in my kitchen, at the moment)

Once proved to your satisfaction, knock back, shape to fit the Pullman Pan on a lightly floured surface (I don't stretch or fold, or whatever; I just lift the mass into the Pan, and push down to have an even surface of dough in the Pan). Cover with the lid, and check every 5 minutes or so, to see the extent of the rise. (I let it rise to about 10mm from the lid, then I set my timer for 10 minutes. Once the 10 minutes is up, I reduce the oven temperature to 220c, and put in the Pan. Cook for 30 minutes. Once the 30 minutes are up, remove from the oven, decamp the gorgeous loaf from the Pan, and take lots of crappy photos (well, that's what I do).

Enjoy ElsieD...

Edited by ptw1953 (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ptw1953 said:

@ElsieD I am more than happy to share my recipe. It is an amalgam of various Pain de Mie recipes I have attempted over the years.

I use a 13" Pullman Pan with a lid to bake the breadt in, but have used a 10" pan with a lid, and just reduced all the ingredients by one third: It came out well.

Pre-heat your oven to 250c (mine is fan-assisted, so that is probably 270c in a non fan-assisted oven, I think)

Ingredients:

15g  Unsalted butter, cut into small cubes

30g  Fresh yeast (as fresh yeast is extremely scarce here at the moment, I now use 17g of Dried Active Yeast)

750g  Strong white flour

15g   Salt

75ml  Full-fat milk

450ml  Water, boiled and cooled to 99F/37c

If using the fresh yeast, rub it and the butter into the flour. Then add to your mixer bowl, with the salt, water and milk. Mix at speed 2 for 5 minutes, until the dough comes away from the sides of the bowl.

If using the Dried Active Yeast, add 50ml of the water to it, and leave for 5 minutes until frothy. Rub the butter into the flour, then add to the mixer bowl with the remaining water, milk and salt. Mix at speed 2 for 5 minutes, until the dough comes away from the sides of the bowl.

Empty the dough into a proving bowl, cover with cling-film, and leave to prove until doubled in size. (this takes only 1 hour in my kitchen, at the moment)

Once proved to your satisfaction, knock back, shape to fit the Pullman Pan on a lightly floured surface (I don't stretch or fold, or whatever; I just lift the mass into the Pan, and push down to have an even surface of dough in the Pan). Cover with the lid, and check every 5 minutes or so, to see the extent of the rise. (I let it rise to about 10mm from the lid, then I set my timer for 10 minutes. Once the 10 minutes is up, I reduce the oven temperature to 220c, and put in the Pan. Cook for 30 minutes. Once the 30 minutes are up, remove from the oven, decamp the gorgeous loaf from the Pan, and take lots of crappy photos (well, that's what I do).

Enjoy ElsieD...

Thank you!  I will be doing this today as we need bread.  I have the 13" pan.

Did a Forkish Saturday loaf. On Saturday!

921739544_BreadSaturday10wwIMG_0639.jpeg.e5cb620c302c1f9d72f124474ac0373f.jpeg

Still working on that, ahem slashing technique. However, inside...

1337493503_BreadSaturdaycrumb04-18IMG_E0644.jpeg.32bab122a151c42b0d95769d8074d3e6.jpeg

Was lovely. And tasted great.  This was 10% white whole wheat flour (KA) and the rest A/P flour (KA).

• Like 10
  • Delicious 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

My quarantine crew has quickly become obsessed with scali bread for breakfast.  Here is the first loaf I made

IMG_7519.thumb.jpg.a74101c1695e49c3b83a06be38d419a0.jpg

That one is gone, so I baked another one today.  The ends untucked a bit.

1810509338_secondscali.thumb.jpg.4baa383bb4d84a7b323ced16b52f1889.jpg

I baked a third without sesame seeds for my brother and parents.  My brother picked it up tonight from my garage and left me two pounds of Kerrygold butter as thanks.  I think I came out better in that trade 🙂

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 2

@ptw1953  I made your recipe yesterday.  All was going well except that after 10 minutes in the oven, the lid blew off my Pullman pan.  I left it where it was, resting on top of the loaf to see what would happen.  At the end of 30 minutes, I went to pull it out but noticed it was a little pale so left it in the oven for another few minutes.   As you can see, the lid affected the shape of the load as the dough was pretty even when it went in.  The bread is delicious, and I'll make it again.  It looked like a .ot of yeast to me, though.  It is 17 gm. Of active dry yeast?  Thanks again for the recipe.

20200421_115152.jpg

20200420_174132.jpg

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

@ptw1953  I made your recipe yesterday.  All was going well except that after 10 minutes in the oven, the lid blew off my Pullman pan.  I left it where it was, resting on top of the loaf to see what would happen.  At the end of 30 minutes, I went to pull it out but noticed it was a little pale so left it in the oven for another few minutes.   As you can see, the lid affected the shape of the load as the dough was pretty even when it went in.  The bread is delicious, and I'll make it again.  It looked like a .ot of yeast to me, though.  It is 17 gm. Of active dry yeast?  Thanks again for the recipe.

When I first used my Pullman pan the lid also popped off while baking.

i tool a needle-nose plier and crimped the curved edge to fit tighter.  Still working.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ElsieD said:

20200421_115152.jpg

20200420_174132.jpg

Oh that is a pity @ElsieD. I do think that there is an issue with your Pullman Pan. It seems to me, wearing my Engineer's hat, that the curved/ sliding areas of the Pan lid have not been formed correctly at the factory. I would try the suggestion given by @lindag. The lid surely should be able to take the amounts of bread and yeast in the recipe. 17g of Dried Active Yeast is what I use in the recipe, and it works very well for me.

Usually, when the 30 minutes are up, I take ot the oven, remove the lid and check the colouring of the bread. Mostly I have to give it an extra 3 minutes to get the colour up a bit, but these last two times, the bread has been fine after 30 minutes. I apologise for missing that out of the recipe I posted.

Your loaf shape (other than the top), and crumb, look great. I think that, with a little tweaking on your Pan lid, you will be constantly producing superb Pain de Mie....

• Like 2

Even if I didn't make it, I've found a gluten-free sandwich-style white bread that's reasonably good. It's Rudi's, and I picked it up in the freezer case at Kroger. Dang near five bucks a loaf, but when you want tuna salad on toast, like I did for lunch today, it serves well enough. I can see it functioning for BLT's this summer.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

16 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

After the 1st rising of my brioche:

IMG_1927.jpg.010c7e36e4a87ab75c2c804c34f56aca.jpg

After pushing it down.  

IMG_1928.thumb.jpg.94b6aeed9bb6a88e3eef6dfd600544e5.jpg

I'm hoping this is a good sign.  

It is having it's second rising in the proofing room (that would be the half bath off of my kitchen with the space heater turned to 72F - 😁).

To me, these mages are so rich and, almost, spoonable. This brioche is going to be premiere, for sure...

• Thanks 1

Thank you, @ptw1953!!  Your mouth to God's ears!

After the second rising:

IMG_1931.jpg.b5d40b8f8c651a850d24abe1ca5c03d6.jpg

The bottom of the rolls:

IMG_1932.jpg.766ce53853c1ff089d45e8a89cbc3070.jpg

After the final rise they get sprinkled with cornmeal and flipped.  I did that thing where you roll the dough balls around the board in a circle inside your cupped hands, so I'm hoping that the other side with be smoother.  

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Going into the oven with some Trader Joe's ET bagel seasoning:

IMG_1933.jpg.54ace7d43c083ec5f8941cc5b091fb73.jpg

It occurred to me, almost too late, that I should leave the seeds off a few so we could decide what we prefer.  

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

11 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Here they are:

IMG_1934.jpg.a6f3017fcd7a054f09b18d58583a4869.jpg

I really hope they taste as good as they look!

So do I! They look beautiful! I'll be making buns in the next few days. Thought I had the recipe all picked out, but now you're making me wonder about changing my mind...

Edited by Smithy
Reformatted response (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

They are SO good!!!  I'm thrilled:

IMG_1935.jpg.652d37672a56832b5d3ae8e98d03d2bb.jpg

I have a question, though.  I only have instant yeast and the recipe calls for active dry.  It never occurred to me that would make any difference.  But I just noticed in the comments section on the recipe that if you are using instant, you should use 1 2/3 t. rather than 2 1/4 of active dry.  In other words I used more than I was supposed to.  But they are perfect.  So, I just ignore that instruction, huh?

• Like 6