• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2016–)

DianaM

@Isabelle Prescott  I live in Canada so I don't know where you can buy it in the States.  It is still available on Amazon.ca and as @JoNorvelleWalker pointed out, it was available on Amazon.com when I posted the link.    If you go through the links that @Kim Shook referred to, that might be of some help to you.  I really, really like mine and am one of those people who has a back-up.

• Like 2

On 4/5/2020 at 1:23 PM, weinoo said:

@Ann_T Lovely bread - can you share the recipe and is there milk in that loaf?

And if so, can I make a classic sandwich loaf w/o milk, because I never keep milk in the apartment.

I do always have kefir; what, if any, bad things might happen subbing kefir for the milk?

@weinoo, I do use milk in this recipe.  But  I don't see why you can't use all water. Or  increase the water and add a little sour cream, yogurt, or even your

kefir.  You can find the recipe here on my blog.............Home-Style White Bread

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I made the NYT no knead bread and within a day it was staling quickly.

On the other hand I just finished a store bought Maiers Italian bread that was 2 months old and still pretty darn fresh.

What's the trick Maiers uses?

On 4/6/2020 at 12:41 PM, Isabelle Prescott said:

Looks like they are no longer available.  I've never seen one in any store that I've worked in for the last 5 years.  Am I right?

Ebay has a bunch. And anova promises their model is coming

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, gfweb said:

I made the NYT no knead bread and within a day it was staling quickly.

On the other hand I just finished a store bought Maiers Italian bread that was 2 months old and still pretty darn fresh.

What's the trick Maiers uses?

Ingredients: Enriched Wheat Flour [Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Reduced Iron, Niacin, Thiamin Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Folic Acid], Water, Yeast, Salt, Sugar, Soybean Oil, Calcium Propionate (Preservative), Datem, Monoglycerides, Grain Vinegar, Citric Acid, Wheat Gluten, Potassium Iodate, Calcium Sulfate, Soy Lecithin.

versus: flour, yeast, water and salt?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@gfweb if you have the patience to experiment with it, sourdough breads seem, for whatever reason, to keep much longer for us. 

Also worth noting that *dough* often keeps longer than the finished bread. If what you want is a small amount of very fresh bread every day -- look into the "5 minutes a day" bread books from Jeff Hertzberg, who has processes to make a big weekly batch of dough and bake it off into small, varied loaves daily. Hasn't ever fit my routine (routine! I remember routine!) but some people swear by it.

On the flip side, you can refresh bread in a microwave surprisingly effectively, just zap it for a few seconds. Staling isn't actually *loss* of water, but rather a change in the structure of the starch that locks water away; microwaves are particularly well suited to reversing the process.

• Like 3

OK, hive mind: A question. My workhorse bread pans are Circulon, 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inches. I love them because they have NEVER stuck; I just spray with whatever cooking spray I have on had, and go.

Today, I used them to make loaf pound cakes to serve as the base for strawberry shortcake. Greased and floured them for good measure. Again, I've done this before with the same recipe, and greased-and-floured worked. Today, it stuck. 

I immediately washed them well, dried them, sprayed them down, and used them for Harvest Grains bread (I always make two loaves at a time). Again -- they stuck!

Do I just need to chunk them and get new ones, or what?

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I woke up my sourdough starter last weekend. Today seemed like a good day to put some of it to work...

sdbread01.jpg

sdbread02.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I hadn't made anything from Hensperger's The Bread Bible in ages, but this week for no apparent reason I took it into my head that I wanted to make the Honey and Seed Bread, a straightforward milk-enriched, commercially-yeasted affair with millet, poppy seeds, and sesame seeds.

20200413-174308.jpg

20200413-174643.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 3

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

On 4/12/2020 at 3:56 PM, Tri2Cook said:

I woke up my sourdough starter last weekend. Today seemed like a good day to put some of it to work...

sdbread01.jpg

sdbread02.jpg

Nice crumb shot. Look at that shine.

918161846_HotcrossbunsreadyfortheovenApril13th2020.thumb.jpg.84bf65d70ab371a962434a33e8ece3e6.jpg

Hot Cross Buns ready for the oven.

1978141747_HotcrossbunsglazedApril13th2020.thumb.jpg.a28c3c167c3329a547a05dab68c9be29.jpg

Brushed  while still hot with a brown butter and orange glaze. 

1560429948_HotcrossbunsservedApril13th20201.thumb.jpg.535ee2484fe4a47ab2fb94c04fb08e3f.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 3

I Haven't posted, nor baked, for circa 6 weeks, but it felt so good to produce a bog-standard boule today.

We ate half of it, with carrot and coriander soup I made earlier this morning...

Lockdown be damned!

Boule, 14th of April 2020....jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

For some reason bread has been lasting longer at my house (not sure why, the kids and I are carboholics!), anyhow, baked some oat honey from KAF site, this is the Back of the Bag Oatmeal bread. As always I did a preferment, lowered the yeast amount (no sourdough, as I was refreshing it) and longer proofing time.

I really like it, it's super light and pillowy, like bakery store bought, not shelf bread.

I want to make some sourdough crackers today, I have a some discarded that I want to use. 

Happy Bread Baking 🙂

20200418_082225.jpg

20200418_082313.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Vanessa

On 4/13/2020 at 9:05 PM, Ann_T said:

Nice crumb shot. Look at that shine.

918161846_HotcrossbunsreadyfortheovenApril13th2020.thumb.jpg.84bf65d70ab371a962434a33e8ece3e6.jpg

Hot Cross Buns ready for the oven.

1978141747_HotcrossbunsglazedApril13th2020.thumb.jpg.a28c3c167c3329a547a05dab68c9be29.jpg

Brushed  while still hot with a brown butter and orange glaze. 

1560429948_HotcrossbunsservedApril13th20201.thumb.jpg.535ee2484fe4a47ab2fb94c04fb08e3f.jpg

Ohh, I never made those, they look amazing! Maybe weekend project. Thank you for the inspiration, your pictures are screen licking good!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Vanessa

Sourdough pizza. Work needed on the shaping, and the topping (home-made passata, spicy chorizo, spring onions, mozzarella and basil). We enjoyed eating it immensely...

Sourdough pizza 1....jpg

Sourdough pizza 2....jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 5

1 hour ago, Desiderio said:

For some reason bread has been lasting longer at my house (not sure why, the kids and I are carboholics!), anyhow, baked some oat honey from KAF site, this is the Back of the Bag Oatmeal bread. As always I did a preferment, lowered the yeast amount (no sourdough, as I was refreshing it) and longer proofing time.

I really like it, it's super light and pillowy, like bakery store bought, not shelf bread.

I want to make some sourdough crackers today, I have a some discarded that I want to use. 

Happy Bread Baking 🙂

20200418_082225.jpg

20200418_082313.jpg

Nice bread!  I went to the KAF site and saved the recipe to my recipe box.  I'll try it out next time I make bread.

• Like 1