• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2016–)

DianaM

King Arthur Back of the Bag Oatmeal Sandwich bread with added small handfuls of roasted pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds.  Super easy loaf to mix up.

Chefsteps Rich and Moist Cornbread baked in various small forms for experiments.   Not easy to mix up.  But it's rich and moist for sure.

IMG_9229.JPG

IMG_9230.JPG

Edited by lemniscate (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

It has come to the point where baking looks like a good thing for me to do. 😉

Somewhere here there was an easy baguette recipe. I can't find it. It sticks in my mind that @JoNorvelleWalker

was involved but that didnt help locate it.

Anything easy probably wasn't mine.  But should it help:

Poolish (made the night before)

flour 200g

water 200g

instant yeast about 1/32 teaspoon, by eye

Dough

flour 400g

water 208g

Poolish from above

instant yeast 6g

salt 6g  (Diamond Crystal Kosher ground to powder and added after autolysis)

For the flour I'd been using King Arthur organic all purpose but now I've switched to a lower protein, higher extraction flour that models French 55.

• Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

It has come to the point where baking looks like a good thing for me to do. 😉

Somewhere here there was an easy baguette recipe. I can't find it. It sticks in my mind that @JoNorvelleWalker

was involved but that didnt help locate it.

I start people off with no-knead to show the ease nd simplicity and magic of flour, yeast, salt & water. Not a baguette but some pretty decent bread.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, heidih said:

I start people off with no-knead to show the ease nd simplicity and magic of flour, yeast, salt & water. Not a baguette but some pretty decent bread.

Got a recipe?  I'd love to try that too

The NYT no-knead recipe is very empowering.    We can't buy decent bread 50 miles from the coast, so unless I remember to buy a baguette before we leave town, I wind up tossing together NYT bread in the country.    And when husband came home from a food run last Monday empty handed because ALL bread products including tortillas were sold out, voila. NYT bread the next day.    And when son was dropping some stuff by the house, his request, a warm loaf, please.    Literally 5 minutes hands-on -> 1350962356_ScreenShot2020-03-17at11_45_04AM.thumb.png.083648361dbbb01bb7295b933ae9886e.png

• Like 10

eGullet member #80.

18 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

The NYT no-knead recipe is very empowering.    We can't buy decent bread 50 miles from the coast, so unless I remember to buy a baguette before we leave town, I wind up tossing together NYT bread in the country.    And when husband came home from a food run last Monday empty handed because ALL bread products including tortillas were sold out, voila. NYT bread the next day.    And when son was dropping some stuff by the house, his request, a warm loaf, please.    Literally 5 minutes hands-on -> 1350962356_ScreenShot2020-03-17at11_45_04AM.thumb.png.083648361dbbb01bb7295b933ae9886e.png

@Margaret Pilgrim Gorgeous loaf.

I haven't baked bread in a couple of weeks.  Used up what I had in the freezer. 

So I fed both of my sourdough starters  and made three batches of dough yesterday. Yeast based, with the addition of the discard divided between the three doughs.

Two 500g flour batches and a 750g batch. All at 74% hydration.

Matt used half of one of the 500 batches for a pizza last night  and I baked a small round from the remainder of that batch in a slightly too small dutch oven.

1093900592_SamedayloafwithdiscardyeastMarch23rd2020.thumb.jpg.538817e9b08ffe0215d9d639257f8c79.jpg

Loaf hit the lid flattening out slightly.

485899023_SamedayloafwithdiscardyeastMarch23rdand24th2020.thumb.jpg.b88ba89474ed38a7836b385e6ed6f586.jpg

Sliced this morning for our breakfast.

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 1

2 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

I made some Swedish Rye bread from the 1969 Farm Journal of Homemade Breads.  I used to make it alot but haven't made it much lately... perhaps because it is not as easy to find rye flour anymore.  

20200324_160345.jpg

20200324_161907.jpg

Is it all rye or does it contain some wheat?

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

My guess is contains some wheat, as 100% rye is a pain in the ass!

So my bread making is off to its usual nightmare start; and I usually start with flatbreads, cause you know, they're easy...

This is using an abridged version of the overnight straight dough from Forkish (similar to Lahey's), but I didn't let the dough rest in the fridge for it's allotted time; in other words, I cheated.

QxevKuJ.jpg

Stretched. Then topped with a few tomatoes and anchovies on half, parm on all...

eT0iRvY.jpg

Baked in the steam girl, on the bread setting...

ZbnaBIm.jpg

Puffed up like crazy...

X8nKrNZ.jpg

But...it tasted great...

IKGJP91.jpg

• Like 7

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

34 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Is it all rye or does it contain some wheat?

1/4 C. brown sugar
1/4 C. light molasses
1 tbsp salt
2 tbsp shortening
1 1/2 .c boiling water
1 pkg. active dry yeast
1/4 C. warm water ( 110-115º)
2 1/2 C. rye flour
2 to 3 tbsp. caraway seeds
plus enough all purpose flour to make a soft dough (3  to 4 C.)  It's hard to get much of a rise out of any yeast bread that does not have at least some wheat flour.
Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Norm Matthews, thanks for sharing your rye bread recipe.   Your bread looks great.  Just picked up a new bag of stone ground organic rye from a local bakery  to feed my starter.  Will try your recipe. 

@weinoo, I'd be happy with a slice of your flat bread.   I'm all about the crust and crumb and that does it for me. 

1458448751_BaguettesMarch23rdbakedMarch24th20201.thumb.jpg.c0c4cb88d98acd9afa1669190a0ff57f.jpg

Yesterday's bake. 

2084001303_BaguettesMarch23rdbakedMarch24th20202.thumb.jpg.4f958432005521671ee7f79640502110.jpg

Six small baguettes from a 750g batch of dough that was made on Monday and left in the fridge overnight. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

Just picked up a new bag of stone ground organic rye from a local bakery  to feed my starter.  

Do you always use rye flour to feed your starter?  If so, why?

YOur breads always look wonderful.

Edited by lindag (log)

40 minutes ago, lindag said:

Do you always use rye flour to feed your starter?  If so, why?

YOur breads always look wonderful.

@lindag,  Rye is the only flour I use when starting a sourdough starter and I always feed with the same rye flour.  I have spun off a white starter from the original rye, but I always continue to feed the rye starter.  According to Amy Scherber (Amy's Bread NY) Rye is the best flour to use.  Lots of extra nutrients.   It is easier to get started and maintain.  It is Amy's recipe that I use for my starter.      I can neglected my starter for months and give it two feedings with rye and bottle water and it springs right back. 

• Like 2

Baked all three of my days off. 

Three batches of dough, two of which went into the fridge.

1030561906_CheddarandplanbaguettesMarch25th20201.thumb.jpg.c2f8562ff4c6af3f2eeae1e39430260e.jpg

One baked same day, one yesterday and the last one today.

1917882110_CheddarandplanbaguettesMarch25th2020.thumb.jpg.61d40bf210c936796d757efb429507bf.jpg

Two regular baguettes and two with cheddar. Folded the cheddar in while shaping. 

Although not strictly sourdough, I added the discard from the starter feed into all three batches along with yeast and and all three batches have  a light but distinct 

sourdough flavour.  This batch more so than the first two. 

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 9

9 hours ago, Ann_T said:

@lindag,  Rye is the only flour I use when starting a sourdough starter and I always feed with the same rye flour.  I have spun off a white starter from the original rye, but I always continue to feed the rye starter.  According to Amy Scherber (Amy's Bread NY) Rye is the best flour to use.  Lots of extra nutrients.   It is easier to get started and maintain.  It is Amy's recipe that I use for my starter.      I can neglected my starter for months and give it two feedings with rye and bottle water and it springs right back. 

That is interesting. My first thought was the lack or gluten in rye flour but I immediately realized that you don't need gluten to keep wild yeast alive, you just need it for raising the bread.  I am currently without a sourdough batter and am thinking about starting one again.  The last one was ten years old and still alive but it didn't seem to be as lively as it used to be.

13 minutes ago, gfweb said:

What does one do to get a soft crust?

What kind of bread?  I aim for a "crusty" crust on baguettes. But I don't  mind a softer crust on homestyle white bread.  Rub a loaf with butter when it comes out of the oven and the crust will stay soft.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, gfweb said:

What does one do to get a soft crust?

This my be considered heresy but it works for me.  When it comes out of the oven, I paint the top with butter then when it has cooled a little but still warm, I either wrap it in plastic or put it in a plastic bag.  That will make the bread soggy if you take it out too soon but if you let it set overnight, the moisture will reabsorb into the the crust and leave it softer than just butter alone.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

What kind of bread?  I aim for a "crusty" crust on baguettes. But I don't  mind a softer crust on homestyle white bread.  Rub a loaf with butter when it comes out of the oven and the crust will stay soft.

Thanks!

I was just wondering how it was done. The little bread that I bake is crusty baguette and i wondered about how sandwich bread is made.

52 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Thanks!

I was just wondering how it was done. The little bread that I bake is crusty baguette and i wondered about how sandwich bread is made.

I won first prize in the county fair at age 13 with a loaf much like this

My mother tried to make me feel better by telling me that i probably would have won even if any else had also entered in this category.   

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

eGullet member #80.