• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2016–)

DianaM

Rye contains a type of gluten but not enough to produce a strong rise that will sustain througout the  process. It will not develop the proteins that support the yeast.

Breads from northern Europe contain more rye but all have some wheat. This Norwegian Rye has a larger percentage of rye flour and produces a very tasty bread.

Pumpernickel which is all rye, has to rise for a very long time and the oven has to be steamy.  

The fruited rye breads, like raisin rye can have a higher percentage of rye because the sugar in the raisins boosts the yeast activity. 

• Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

On 1/1/2020 at 12:03 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I'm thinking if I found the right pan I could be on my way to good results.

I finally found the bookmark for this site - "rye" was not prominent in the Bookmark title - It has some good information and a recipe with which I have had

excellent results.  Masterclass Rye Breads

The site has been active for a long time and is updated periodically.

The advice on handling the dough is quite good.  There are instructions both for  baking in a loaf pan  OR  on a baking sheet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

@JoNorvelleWalker,  I haven't made a straight rye bread, but I have two versions of rye bread that I make, one with yeast and the other a sourdough version.

http://www.thibeaultstable.com/2019/07/homemade-rye-bread-and-smoked-corned.html

http://www.thibeaultstable.com/2019/02/sourdough-rye-bread.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tonight's loaf from long frozen dough...

Bread01032020.png

Resuscitated by the Modernist Bread method.  Better than I thought, considering.

• Like 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Resuscitated by the Modernist Bread method. 

Is that something you can summarize here?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

Is that something you can summarize here?

Well, maybe.  Given overproofed bread dough; with finger tips gently, or not so gently, express the gas.  Then proceed to shape and proof as usual.  Modernist Bread says the procedure may be repeated up to ten times without adverse effect.  I can attest it does work.  @nathanm calls it CPR.

• Thanks 1

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 9:37 AM, andiesenji said:

I finally found the bookmark for this site - "rye" was not prominent in the Bookmark title - It has some good information and a recipe with which I have had

excellent results.  Masterclass Rye Breads

The site has been active for a long time and is updated periodically.

The advice on handling the dough is quite good.  There are instructions both for  baking in a loaf pan  OR  on a baking sheet.

I was wondering about one piece of advice from your link.  The author says to be very gentle when kneading rye bread.  In contrast Stanley Ginsberg (the author of The Rye Baker and the flour purveyor you recommended to me) and the Modernist Bread folks say rye dough is almost impossible to over mix.

I had been neglecting my sourdough starter again. It had been two months since I fed it last.

Started feeding it two days ago, fed it twice. Second time on Saturday night, and used some of the discard to make a biga.

Sunday morning I fed the starter for a third time and made a batch of dough, adding the biga to a 1000g of flour. Hydration of this batch is 77%.

The dough went into the fridge before I left for work yesterday morning and the Starter was left out on the counter to rise.

It had doubled by the time I got home from work.

1982953027_AlmostreadytogointothefridgeJanuary5th2020.thumb.jpg.6eb3b13d714da1dd34c54a36490d3db8.jpg

Left it out a little longer and it continued to rise. I put it in the fridge before going to bed. Will try to remember to feed it again this week.

This morning I pulled the dough out of the fridge and left it to rise on the counter.

44531455_SourdoughbaguettesJanuary6th20201.thumb.jpg.4ae69b993ec5ba8af9d18d8baf2cb359.jpg

Baked this afternoon.  8 Small baguettes and four small rolls.   

I had to cut a piece off  four of the baguettes because they were too long for the stone in the CSO.

Started each baguette in the CSO on the Bread setting and after 10 minutes transferred to the Oster for another 10 minutes. 

1807171390_SourdoughbaguettesJanuary6th20202.thumb.jpg.d62ea61bc042ca1afe407d784acfd73e.jpg

Sliced a roll while still warm for Moe and he had it 

413902596_SourdoughbaguettesJanuary6th2020buttered1.thumb.jpg.7ed33d0c6dbc0ec2d8ba1c4c2a499d4f.jpg

slathered in butter. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

Bread01072020.png

Boule, no baguette baked tonight.

Once again my CSO steam function failed.  This is unacceptable.  I am eyeing the spare.  Waiting for an imminent anova announcement.  Or else.

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Sad 3

The Pizza (or bread) steel that my son ordered for me as a Christmas present from Denmark, finally arrived on the 4th of this month. Better late than never I suppose. I spent a few hours seasoning it, then baked this boule on it. The rise was/is good. I am excited to have it for other breads/pastries/pizzas that I will be making.

The Pain de Mie (for Croque Monsuier tonight) wasn't baked on the steel, as I feel it may be a tad too hot for loaves that are baked in a Pullman pan/dutch oven. Any advice/info on this would be received gratefully...

Philip

Boule, 5-1-2020, using the new Baking Steel....jpg

Pain de Mie, 12-01-20....jpg

Pain de Mie crumb, 12-01-20....jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

2 hours ago, ptw1953 said:

I am excited to have it for other breads/pastries/pizzas that I will be making.

The Pain de Mie (for Croque Monsuier tonight) wasn't baked on the steel, as I feel it may be a tad too hot for loaves that are baked in a Pullman pan/dutch oven. Any advice/info on this would be received gratefully...

Beautiful breads. I love my steel, I find that it is most beneficial for breads baked at high temperatures. Pizzas and flat breads especially so. I wouldn't use it for a pullman and other breads that reuqire even and consistent heating. I also found it useful for laminated pastry, where the quick heating leads to good rise, but you must be careful not to bake them too hot,and be prepared to remove them from the stone if the bottom shows signs of over browning.

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

I love my steel too.

Excellent for making pitas.

Baking technique for making pizza has been documented somewhere..

use the broiler for five minutes to super heat the steel after it has been preheated for at least an hour.  Return to bake and then finish with a bit more broil.  Repeat with next pizza.

@@shain & @Okanagancook I thank you both for your posts. Your advice is taken on board. I will make a pizza next Saturday night, and am now looking forward to spring, when my individual puff-pastry rhubarb tarts will be cooked on the steel...yum, yum! (I will make fresh-ginger ice cream to go with the rhubarb tarts. A match made in heaven...)

• Like 3

Bread01132020.png

Bread from frozen dough.  I'm not expecting much.  Even after a two hour proof the loaf did not do much.  I'm pretty much convinced frozen dough is not the way to go.

• Like 1

Sometimes "accidental" breads have incredible flavor and seemingly can never be repeated.  

• Like 4

Today's bake.
326591113_SourdoughandYeastsamedaydoughJanuary14th20204.thumb.jpg.a33df29034b45a0ad08d4a3a7e744d0a.jpg

This was a same day bake.

I fed my starter this morning, but rather than use the discard to make a Biga and make the dough later today and bake tomorrow, I just tossed the discard into 1000g of flour, along with 700g water, 29g of salt, and 3g of yeast.
113004748_SourdoughandYeastsamedaydoughJanuary14th20202.thumb.jpg.9689dd7e87583a8b78f8bee0eb06d8fc.jpg
Baked five baguettes.
1475216026_SourdoughandYeastsamedaydoughJanuary14th20203.thumb.jpg.90d09f346c9ecedeb925597d7dc9c884.jpg
Two loaded with cheddar, three plain, and three small rolls, one of which also was filled with cheddar.

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 1

On 1/13/2020 at 9:50 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Bread01132020.png

Bread from frozen dough.  I'm not expecting much.  Even after a two hour proof the loaf did not do much.  I'm pretty much convinced frozen dough is not the way to go.

It sure is a looker!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I believe my CSO is now repaired and fully functional.  I am most grateful.  However I wanted to see if I could somehow achieve a one kg boule.  Something that exceeds the capabilities of the CSO.  I have an ancient Cuisinart Chicken Steamer (CCS).  Could the CCS bake my one kg boule?

Dough from the Ankarsrum turned out fine.*  The dough proofed perfectly in an hour and a half.  Fitting the scored boule in the CCS was a little tricky but it worked.  I used 60 g of water in the bottom of the steamer and placed the CCS on my well heated 470F 12x12x1 inch baking aluminum.**  That may have been a bit much water as there is evidence of condensation, namely a few drip marks on the crust.

But baking progressed and the final loaf looked pretty good.  Thing is it was stuck completely to the pan.  The bottom crust still is.  Tonight's bread will get the job done, but not my best experiment.  Were I to assay CCS bread again I'd line the steamer insert with a Teflon disc and use less water in the steamer bottom.  Still, sadly, I believe a one kg boule exceeds what can realistically be expected of the CCS.  And for an 800-500 g boule the CSO is the way to go.

That said, if anyone else has a CCS I suspect it would work OK for baking smaller loaves.  I never did like steamed chickens.

*as does almost anything with rum.

**were it made of steel I'd call it a baking steel.

6 hours ago, Ann_T said:

@JoNorvelleWalker, I started to have a problem with the steam function on my CSO.  It will work sometimes and other times is starts to beep even when there is a full tank.

What did you do to fix it?

I'm going to help JNW out here and provide links to the discussion in the Cuisinart Steam Oven topic. Here's where JoNorvelleWalker recently began to take corrective action: click. There is a reference to the "Shelby maneuver" which is described in detail here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

8 hours ago, Ann_T said:

@JoNorvelleWalker, I started to have a problem with the steam function on my CSO.  It will work sometimes and other times is starts to beep even when there is a full tank.

What did you do to fix it?

I see @Smithy beat me to it.  Best of luck.  Please remember to empty all the water first.

• Like 1