• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2016–)

DianaM

23 minutes ago, Franci said:

Sure! So,  just to recap, he does mix roughly flour, salt, oil and water, let rest 30 minutes. Then goes in the yeast and flaps and folds for 3 times with 15 minutes intervals in the fridge,  at the 4th flap and fold the dough rests for 2 hours. Doesn’t specify if in the fridge or not. Then divide the dough, shape it, oil it and let rise from 1 to to 2 hours. Here he gives a tip for pine nuts. Soak them for at least 2 hours if you don’t want to burn them in the oven, dust with sugar. It can be substituted with almonds for a cheaper option.  The liquid at the end is anise liquor. I’ve seen some people even light it to flambé the coca. 

Thank you kindly Franci.

I will definately give this a try.

Edited by Nemesis034 (log)
  • Like 1

You should know I am very stubborn 😁Here pizza in teglia again. Finally something decent!!! Really a big difference in taste from the pizza of the other night. Everyone in the house approved.  I used 1g red star for 348g flour, for 24 hours, norm requires only the last 4-5 hours at room temperature and but I gave almost 8. Definitively I need more of this yeast to work. Looking forward to give it a try with Saf and Fleishmann.

7F7F7065-95B7-429F-8E2E-7BD5E5591C82.jpeg

E8CA68FE-7BE7-480A-8A00-D7F1DC3FB4FE.jpeg

FAFB2B5A-0AE1-46BA-96E9-A48AF3908E60.jpeg

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, Franci said:

You should know I am very stubborn 😁Here pizza in teglia again. Finally something decent!!! Really a big difference in taste from the pizza of the other night. Everyone in the house approved.  I used 1g red star for 348g flour, for 24 hours, norm requires only the last 4-5 hours at room temperature and but I gave almost 8. Definitively I need more of this yeast to work. Looking forward to give it a try with Saf and Fleishmann.

7F7F7065-95B7-429F-8E2E-7BD5E5591C82.jpeg

E8CA68FE-7BE7-480A-8A00-D7F1DC3FB4FE.jpeg

FAFB2B5A-0AE1-46BA-96E9-A48AF3908E60.jpeg

Sigh.  I'm drooling.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Franci said:

Franci, are you aware of Red Star's new "premium" yeast and (so-called) sourdough yeast?    You can request a free sample of both on the Red Star website.     I received mine within a couple of weeks but haven't tried either yet.  

eGullet member #80.

On 10/20/2019 at 1:17 PM, Duvel said:

I got a bit annoyed that I could not provide a crumb shot, so my family had to cope with another pizza al taglio tonight ...

49BC2CF6-617F-421A-8787-D44451739F08.thumb.jpeg.9be72ac3a1d490909e2357f7e57ac65c.jpeg

302964F9-A79B-4400-A809-C0DB0303223E.thumb.jpeg.fb77ba7af9553585bec95dabcdece233.jpeg

That looks incredible! I can never seem to get my oven baked pizza to look right, it doesn’t help that our oven isn’t the best in the world, and tends to act, well, “wonky” where the heat is concerned. My best results for pizza are usually a very thin crust, made on our outdoor grill.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

21 hours ago, Matthew.Taylor said:

That looks incredible! I can never seem to get my oven baked pizza to look right, it doesn’t help that our oven isn’t the best in the world, and tends to act, well, “wonky” where the heat is concerned. My best results for pizza are usually a very thin crust, made on our outdoor grill.

I think the key factors to get this kind of structure are 70-80% hydration, minimum mixing (couple of stretch & folds) coupled with a long, cold rise, careful handling of the dough when transferring to the baking sheet and a really well preheated oven at max. temperature ...

442574801_CaramelizedonionpoppyseedsourdoughOctober28th20193.thumb.jpg.0279c68e9c8623bef5ff7e9a3c0eb38c.jpg

Fed my sourdough starter Sunday night and mixed up a batch of caramelized onion and poppy seed sourdough yesterday morning.

We had to run down to Victoria for a last minute rescheduled CT Angiogram for Moe and since I didn't know how long we would be the dough went into the fridge. As it was we were in and out of the hospital quicker than we thought, so I had Matt pull the dough out the fridge and I baked last night.

1347348803_CaramelizedonionpoppyseedsourdoughOctober28th20191.thumb.jpg.1aaccfa210b470aee92b8f6df88a1e64.jpg

Five loaves, plus a small bun that I'm going to use as a burger bun for Moe's breakfast.

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

In the country and awaiting arrival of son and family.    As I was going to sleep last night I realized that I had forgotten to set bread.    So this morning, as an experiment, I stirred together the ingredients for 18hour bread, but raised the yeast from 1/4 teaspoon to a tablespoon (for 500 gr flour, 400ml water).     It proofed for an hour and a half in pilot-light heated oven, was formed into a boule and let rise another hour.     Heated the Dutch oven for 1/2 hour at 450F and baked the boule for half hour lidded and out of Dutch oven, directly on oven rack for 1/2. hour.    

In short, did most things wrong but the resulting bread is quite acceptable.     I now realize that I can make 18 hour bread in 4 hours.    

1698568400_ScreenShot2019-11-01at2_20_55PM.thumb.png.3242dc8852f28161e69c1bbcf5b6b774.png

• Like 7

eGullet member #80.

I am sad.  I have an ongoing problem with getting my dough strong enough.  Last week I beat it on high speed and got some strength, but my crumb suffered.  This week I tried doubling my recipe to 1,200 g flour at 68% hydration to see if the larger batch would mix better.  It didn't.  By the Modernist Bread method I mixed 8 minutes on low, added the salt slurry, mixed 2 minutes more, and then 2 minutes on speed 2.

I let the bulk fermentation go 3 1/2 hours, folding every 45 minutes, hoping to get strength.  Even so the dough was sticky and hard to divide and shape.  I am about to put a boule in the oven.  It remains to be seen if the cuts will even open.  I'm getting a headache waiting for dinner and I am not a happy camper.

Updates will follow, maybe.

• Sad 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Crumb11052019.png

Funny looking loaf.  (No baguette was baked tonight.)  Looks like someone sat on it.  Nice flavor though.  And the mai tai helped my headache.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have an ongoing problem with getting my dough strong enough.

Seems like it's a flour problem. Try changing producer, hoping you did not buy a 50 pound package.

Teo

Teo

3 hours ago, teonzo said:

Seems like it's a flour problem. Try changing producer, hoping you did not buy a 50 pound package.

Teo

I use King Arthur Organic All Purpose.  Raymond Calvel said King Arthur was the best baguette flour in North America.  It is 11.7 percent protein.

But I am open to a suggestion.

Red Star sent me a sample of their sourdough yeast and included a sample of the Platinum Superior Instant Yeast.  Yesterday I made a loaf of sandwich bread using the latter.  They said I would get greater oven spring and no kidding, I sure did.  This is a recipe I have made a number of times and is for pain de mie, a recipe by  Rose Beranbaum.  I don't use the lid on the pan anymore because it always blows off in the oven.  I haven't had any but John just had a couple of sandwiches and said it was really good.  I know Loblaw carries Red Star but I know they don't carry the sourdough one.  I'm going to check if they have the Platinum one.

20191105_123316.jpg

20191105_124134.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 3

4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I use King Arthur Organic All Purpose.  Raymond Calvel said King Arthur was the best baguette flour in North America.  It is 11.7 percent protein.

But I am open to a suggestion.

If you are having sudden troubles with your bread, while you are making it like in the past (same recipe, same ingredients, same functioning brain), then it can mean that the flour is different than from the past. Which is something that can happen, producers are human too. We can't be sure that each time we buy the same ingredient then it's always exactly the same. It can vary due to some changes in the original ingredient (wheat can't always be the same month after month, year after year). Sometimes producers make errors and the "wrong" product ends in the package. With "wrong" I mean both something completely different or something similar (within the features required by the definition of that product) but different from the past. For example some years back I was making pate a choux using the flour from one of the best producers in Italy (flour specifically labelled for pate a choux), pastries were like a brick, it came out that the producer made a mistake and that lot was something completely different... even the best make mistakes. Or you can get a flour with the same exact gluten content, but different pentosans content (pentosans are the ones most responsible for water absorption). There can be a lot of reasons for getting a different product with the same package.

Having said that, the book by Calvel is pretty old now, so things can have changed a lot in the meantime. From what I've read (Gisslen, Suas and so on, no direct experience due to living in a different continent) what is labeled as "all purpose flour" in the USA can change quite a lot and has changed quite a lot in the years. I remember reading in an old book (around 20 years ago) that all purpose flour had and average 13% protein and being surprised, since that value would be considered quite high here (our analogue of what you call "all purpose" has about 11% protein). 11.7% protein seems low for a baguette recipe, I would try looking for a flour with about 13% protein and which aimed purpose is for bread, since all purpose flour tends to have the weak kind of gluten while you need a medium strong balance.

Teo

• Like 1

Teo