• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2016–)

DianaM

Forgot to feed my starter yesterday, so made both the Boule and Pain de Mie with the saf-levure dry active yeast.

Didn't let the Pain de Mie fully rise in the pan, and it shows. It was for my son and his family, so not sliced. They did say it was good, but I will be using my sourdough starter for the Boule and Pain de Mie this coming Wednesday and Friday.

Boule....jpg

Boule sliced....jpg

Pain de Mie 1....jpg

Pain de Mie 2....jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

On 3/22/2019 at 2:42 PM, ElsieD said:

This is my second attempt to make a sourdough pain de mie.  The first one did not work out as it refused to rise although I did get some oven spring.  For that loaf I used starter straight from the fridge.  With @Ann_T 's help and a lesson or two learned I set out to make a second loaf.

On Wednesday, for the second loaf, I made a levain the night before. I mixed the dough  at 9:30 AM, did the requisite stretch and folds and took it out of the oven at 9:30 that night.  I ended up proofing it in the BSO on the proof setting to speed things along a bit or I swear I would have been baking it at midnight.  When I tried to put the lid on the pan, it refused to go on, so it went into the oven as a regular loaf.  Thursday we had grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch using this bread.  The sandwich was perfection.   I love this bread.

Lessons learned are these:  take 2 days to make this bread and use a levain.  Ferment one day, bake the next, as it takes forever to rise.  Secondly, if using the proof setting on the oven, let the pan come back to room temperature before baking and the lid will slide right on.

Best loaf of bread ever.

20190321_114740.jpg

I'd love to make a loaf of that bread.

is there a recipe I could follow?

27 minutes ago, lindag said:

I'd love to make a loaf of that bread.

is there a recipe I could follow?

https://www.theperfectloaf.com/pain-de-mie/

I made this twice, the first time using starter straight from the fridge.  That did not end well.  The second time I used a levain, made the night before.  I also mixed everything up together the next morning rather than doing it in the several posted steps.  The next time i make this i will ferment it one day and bake it the second.  And there definitely will be a next time as this bread is well worth the time it takes.

Edited by ElsieD
Deleted duplicaton (log)

39 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I made this twice, the first time using starter straight from the fridge.  That did not end well.  The second time I used a levain, made the night before.  I also mixed everything up together the next morning rather than doing it in the several posted steps.  The next time i make this i will ferment it one day and bake it the second.  And there definitely will be a next time as this bread is well worth the time it takes.

Thanks,  I will definitely use the levain!

• Like 1

Bread03252019.png

Seven minutes total mixing, but three folds over two hours rather than Modernist Bread's two folds over an hour and a half.  Baguette much easier to shape.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Bread03252019.png

Seven minutes total mixing, but three folds over two hours rather than Modernist Bread's two folds over an hour and a half.  Baguette much easier to shape.

They look sooo good!

• Like 2

On 3/25/2019 at 2:42 PM, ElsieD said:

I couldn’t have buggered up this recipe more if I had tried.  I was working with a halved recipe and mixed up the ingredients between full and half.  Stupido!

i kept adding more flour to the dough (before I realized my mistake).  The resulting dough is ripening in the garage fridge until tomorrow when I’ll know whether it’s a total bust.

Nevertheless, if this is a total fail, I'll try again another day.  

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, lindag said:

I couldn’t have buggered up this recipe more if I had tried.  I was working with a halved recipe and mixed up the ingredients between full and half.  Stupido!

i kept adding more flour to the dough (before I realized my mistake).  The resulting dough is ripening in the garage fridge until tomorrow when I’ll know whether it’s a total bust.

Stay tuned for my sourdough "focaccia" story tomorrow. . Dough is fermenting on my counter but it sure as all get out won't be focaccia.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, lindag said:

It is really difficult to "bugger" up bread dough. Might not turn out exactly as you had planned, but I bet it will it will turn out just  fine. 

• Like 1

Yesterday I mixed up a batch of sourdough using my newly refreshed starter as I wanted to make sourdough focaccia.  Everything was measured by weight.  The end result had the consistency of pancake batter.  I knew this was wrong and decided I must have weighed something incorrectly (forgot to hit the tare button?) And so added more flour, but did not think to add more starter.  Just as well, looking at how much the dough rose.  I ended  up with 50% hydration.  Oops.  That dough will not become focaccia but I thought  it might make okay bread.  Into my bucket the dough went.  The recipie called for an overnight rise and this is what greeted me this morning:

20190327_083839.jpg

When I put the dough in the bucket it was slightly under the 1 quart mark.  I did not expect it to rise that much.

After some dithering, I decided to put some of the dough into a 6" springform pan and the rest in a pain de mie pan.  It rose to more than double after which it was baked.  Pictures below.  The little round guy got eaten for lunch and it was pretty good.  The other, not so much.  What wasn't apparent with the round loaf became glaringly obvious with the loaf and that was the lack of salt.  I had almost doubled the amount of flour but had not added more salt.   The crumb of the loaf is fine, but it is rather tasteless.  

I am on the hunt for a new sourdough focaccia recipe.  If someone can point the way to one, I'd be grateful.

20190327_114234.jpg

20190327_124356.jpg

20190327_170408.jpg

Edited by ElsieD (log)
  • Like 4

20 hours ago, lindag said:

So what happened?

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

So what happened?

Took the dough out this morning and placed it in my proofer at 72 degrees F. before I went to town for chemo.

Just now I dumped it out and shaped it and put it in the pan,  Will let it rise again for about an hour or so then, hopefully, it will be ready to bake.  So far it looks really good.

It's back in the proofer at 76F until ready to bake,  Soon, I hope.

Now I’m hoping I put in enough salt!

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 1

On 3/28/2019 at 11:10 PM, lindag said:

No.  It was pretty unremarkable.  

At least you got to make an assessment of the crumb/bread lindag. I was ordered to produce a pain de mie and a boule for 11am this morning, so that my son and daughtr-in-law-to-be could take them to a brunch party in a friends garden.  Was ordered NOT to cut them , so that they could do the honours when they got to the friends house (probably claiming that they had made them themselves). They were here just 15 minutes after I removed the boule from the oven, and were gone 2 minutes after I took the photos. They even had the nerve to ask me to hurry up with the taking of the photos. Sometimes I feel taken for granted...😞

Boule for Saturday brunch....jpg

Pain de Mie 3....jpg

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

On 3/27/2019 at 8:17 AM, Ann_T said:

It is really difficult to "bugger" up bread dough. Might not turn out exactly as you had planned, but I bet it will it will turn out just  fine. 

Agreed! Hello flour, yeast, water and salt. (generally) - It may not be cnsistant but it always works barring complete mishaps 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ptw1953 said:

At least you got to make an assessment of the crumb/bread lindag. I was ordered to produce a pain de mie and a boule for 11am this morning, so that my son and daughtr-in-law-to-be could take them to a brunch party in a friends garden.  Was ordered NOT to cut them , so that they could do the honours when they got to the friends house (probably claiming that they had made them themselves). They were here just 15 minutes after I removed the boule from the oven, and were gone 2 minutes after I took the photos. They even had the nerve to ask me to hurry up with the taking of the photos. Sometimes I feel taken for granted...😞

Yours are really beautiful to look at though.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 1

I wanted to make some bread today but forgot to make the biga I needed yesterday night, so I was looking for something faster. I had a memory from my hometown of something called panfocaccia and was hoping that the “pane pizza” from Adriano’s blog would be similar. Different but good bread alternative for dinner. 

1BD8C878-59F8-4E53-B74A-F3C32DC142C3.jpeg

572B1DED-596F-49DF-A486-CE493105123C.jpeg

• Like 9

19 minutes ago, Franci said:

I wanted to make some bread today but forgot to make the biga I needed yesterday night, so I was looking for something faster. I had a memory from my hometown of something called panfocaccia and was hoping that the “pane pizza” from Adriano’s blog would be similar. Different but good bread alternative for dinner. 

1BD8C878-59F8-4E53-B74A-F3C32DC142C3.jpeg

572B1DED-596F-49DF-A486-CE493105123C.jpeg

Would you have a link to this recipe in English?

@ElsieD  roughly

Flour 700gr (I used KA)

water  550gr 

Fresh yeast  8gr (I used 3 g total of red star active dry)

2 tablespoon lard (I used extra virgin olive oil 

salt 15g (plus more coarse to sprinkle) 

11am. For the poolish: mix 300 g flour and 300gr water, half of the yeast. Mix and let raise at 20C. 3pm: dissolve the remaining yeast in 30g water, add 30 g flour, mix and cover.  Pour the remaining water 220g in the bowl of the mixer and slowly add the flour (370g),  start mixing on low speed for about 2 minutes, cover and let rest 45 minutes. Turn the stand mixer back on add the yeast made in the afternoon and slowly add the poolish  until incorporated, then add the salt. Switch from the hook to the paddle attachment, start on slow and increase a little bit until the dough holds together. Switch to the hook attachment again and add oil or lard mixing until incorporated.  Let rise until about 6-6:30pm and then divide the dough in two on a heavily dusted table. Give some foldings to the doughs. Transfer them to two oiled pans, let them rest covered half an hour and then very gently stretch. You can leave them higher like a bread or make a focaccia with it. Let double in bulk, spray some oil and sprinkle with coarse salt and bake at 480 F 10 minutes on the lower shelf and then 10 more minutes in the middle. I baked slightly less.  

P.S.: You can simplify the second part of it. Starting at 3pm adding directly to the poolish the remaining flour, water and yeast and proceed with the recipe. 
Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 3

On 3/25/2019 at 7:59 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Bread03252019.png

@JoNorvelleWalker, I love how consistent your loaves are.    What hydration are you using?