• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

PatrickT

PatrickT

Well - it's definitely not the most beautiful loaf I've ever baked, but this is definitely closer in texture and flavor to the bread we used to love at a local restaurant that has long since closed.

A few thoughts, based on our taste testing (the toast test will come tomorrow morning 😉

• Very soft and chewy - crust is perhaps too soft
  • My wife felt there should be more craisins and fewer walnuts (the recipe I used called for 85g of each)
  • Craisins were deliciously sweet as a result of the rum soak - but the fancy rum didn't add anything appreciable, so I would just use regular rum next time
  • Overall, just the right amount of sweetness, I think
  • This dough could easily make two pan loaves - and I think I might try that next time

Would love to hear any other feedback or critiques any of you might have. Thank you!

IMG_1297.jpeg

IMG_1299.jpeg

IMG_1301.jpeg

PatrickT

PatrickT

Well - it's definitely not the most beautiful loaf I've ever baked, but this is definitely closer in texture and flavor to the bread we used to love at a local restaurant that has long since closed.

A few thoughts, based on our taste testing (the toast test will come tomorrow morning 😉😞

• Very soft and chewy - crust is perhaps too soft
  • My wife felt there should be more craisins and fewer walnuts (the recipe I used called for 85g of each)
  • Craisins were deliciously sweet as a result of the rum soak - but the fancy rum didn't add anything appreciable, so I would just use regular rum next time
  • Overall, just the right amount of sweetness, I think
  • This dough could easily make two pan loaves - and I think I might try that next time

Would love to hear any other feedback or critiques any of you might have. Thank you!

IMG_1297.jpeg

IMG_1299.jpeg

IMG_1301.jpeg