• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

PatrickT

PatrickT

On 6/13/2022 at 7:47 AM, Dave R said:

I was wondering if they were serving you a quick bread rather than a yeasted loaf.

Thank you again for all of your great comments @Dave R! So very helpful. With respect to the bread I'm trying to recreate from my (unlike yours) hazy memory, it was definitely a regular bread. Not sure if it was actually a sourdough or not, though. I have a non-sourdough recipe I'm going to try next and see if that comes closer to what I recall. Good thought, though!

I think the problem you had was with the final shaping. This is something that practice will solve. The key thing to remember is that you want surface tension on the loaf so it holds it's shape.

Yup - wondered about that. I do struggle a bit yet with shaping, but as you point out, it's getting better with practice. I'll keep working on that.

It looks to me like that recipe would work in a loaf pan. If you have one, a 9"x5" pan might be best to try first just in case it's a little wet.

Excellent! I'll give that a try next time - and might even add your 1.5-2% oil idea to soften the crumb just a bit for the pan loaf. 

Keep up the good work! Experimenting is the best way to learn, unless you want a job in a bakery.

Thank you! 😂 Pretty sure bakery would have me, which is probably all well and good! Thank you again for your insights - much appreciated.

PatrickT

PatrickT

I was wondering if they were serving you a quick bread rather than a yeasted loaf.

Thank you again for all of your great comments @Dave R! So very helpful. With respect to the bread I'm trying to recreate my (unlike yours) hazy memory, it was definitely a regular bread. Not sure if it was actually a sourdough or not, though. I have a non-sourdough recipe I'm going to try next and see if that comes closer to what I recall. Good thought, though!

I think the problem you had was with the final shaping. This is something that practice will solve. The key thing to remember is that you want surface tension on the loaf so it holds it's shape.

Yup - wondered about that. I do struggle a bit yet with shaping, but as you point out, it's getting better with practice. I'll keep working on that.

It looks to me like that recipe would work in a loaf pan. If you have one, a 9"x5" pan might be best to try first just in case it's a little wet.

Excellent! I'll give that a try next time - and might even add your 1.5-2% oil idea to soften the crumb just a bit for the pan loaf. 

Keep up the good work! Experimenting is the best way to learn, unless you want a job in a bakery.

Thank you! 😂 Pretty sure bakery would have me, which is probably all well and good! Thank you again for your insights - much appreciated.