• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ElsieD

ElsieD

Fixed a typo

1 hour ago, Dave R said:

@ElsieD Most spices that are in the "tree bark" family will retard yeast. I'm mostly familiar with cinnamon and nutmeg doing it. I've seen recipes with almost triple the yeast amount when these are actually mixed into the dough. I've seen some chemical explanation of why but when I try to read them my eyes sort of glaze over! I think it's in the realm of oxygen and fermentation. Perhaps someone smarter than I can chime in on that.

The rice flour acts as a binder. You could easily substitute AP flour or just leave it out all together. I've seen recipes on King Arthur's site where they use their product Instant ClearJel which is just modified food starch.

Dave

Thank you.  I make a fruit bread using dried cranberries (darn spell-check) and raisins and a couple of times  I decided to add cinnamon to the mix.  I  can't quite explain it but the bread wasn't "quite right".  To heavy, or something.  I no longer add cinnamon.  This is the bread I make:

20211018_104250.jpg

ElsieD

ElsieD

42 minutes ago, Dave R said:

@ElsieD Most spices that are in the "tree bark" family will retard yeast. I'm mostly familiar with cinnamon and nutmeg doing it. I've seen recipes with almost triple the yeast amount when these are actually mixed into the dough. I've seen some chemical explanation of why but when I try to read them my eyes sort of glaze over! I think it's in the realm of oxygen and fermentation. Perhaps someone smarter than I can chime in on that.

The rice flour acts as a binder. You could easily substitute AP flour or just leave it out all together. I've seen recipes on King Arthur's site where they use their product Instant ClearJel which is just modified food starch.

Dave

Thank you.  I make a fruit bread using cruising and raisins and a couple of times  I decided to add cinnamon to the mix.  I  can't quite explain it but the bread wasn't "quite right".  To heavy, or something.  I no longer add cinnamon.  This is the bread I make:

20211018_104250.jpg